Facebook Marketplace Paypal Scam?

2,769 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Complete Idiot
videoag98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Guy contacts me via Facebook regarding my Marketplace posting for my truck for sale. Says he buys cars and trucks all the time and has them transported. Has me take several pictures of truck and and then he calls me from a Michigan area code, (I'm in Texas) Now red flags are going off in my head. Why TF are you going to pay for a 1200+ mile tow for a vehicle you are buying for less than 2K. He sounds like your normal everyday white guy. But I'm not your ordinary everyday fool. He says he can pay me via paypal and will have a tow truck come and pick it up. I play along and ask him for his full name so I can create a bill of sale. I google his name, and the guy is a convicted felon with 3 DWIs, larceny charges, aggravated trafficking, and more. Photo matched his Facebook profile pic so it's the same person. Any thoughts of 'hey maybe this is legit!' , were quickly wiped out when I googled his name. 1. Why would he give me his real name? (Maybe its not him) 2. What's the scam here? How does it work? This isn't some huge transaction? Needless to say, I told him I'm only dealing with someone local and only with cash.

Here is one of his many mug shots.. Mugshot
and his FB. Facebook
[url=https://www.jailbase.com/arrested/michigan/kent-county/cody-allen-makries-1806381][/url]

sts7049
AG
you got all this way and still haven't run the other direction from this guy?
videoag98
AG
I should add, that I first googled the number he called from and it came back to an Auto-Repair place, so it gave me reason to think maybe this is somewhat legit, ie: company buys beaters for cheap and fixes them up, so when he called and I spoke with him, I am thinking he is the owner of the place. This is before I googled his full name.
Silvy
AG
Foiled again
lb3
AG
ccolley68
AG
What kind of truck is it? Is it something that's a piece of **** to you worth $2k, but if this guy were to put say $10k into it he could flip for $20k as a classic truck restored type thing? Or is it just a run of the mill POS looking for a home on a deer lease or something?
videoag98
AG
Its an 02 Silverado 4x4 Z71 with a bad/slipping transmission. Not drivable. Needs to be towed. Clear coat is shot on the hood and roof. Asking $2K for it. Probably needs a a new transmission. I actually have it listed here on the classifieds.
Complete Idiot
So what has he done with you that is a scam? I understand if you don't want to do business with a convicted criminal, but until he takes your truck without having paid in full, what is the worry? Is he going to show up and pressure you to give it to him without paying?

And how is any truck in Texas listed for under $2k? Is is not running?
videoag98
AG
I don't know. It could have been legit. But there's too many damn scams with Paypal that I am extra cautious,
( one is they send you a fake PayPal confirmation email that looks like it comes from PayPal, but is really a phishing attempt to gain access to your account) I don't know what all they can do, hence my post here.
Jack Cheese
AG
You're smart to steer clear.
Furlock Bones
AG
meatsweats said:

I don't know. It could have been legit. But there's too many damn scams with Paypal that I am extra cautious,
( one is they send you a fake PayPal confirmation email that looks like it comes from PayPal, but is really a phishing attempt to gain access to your account) I don't know what all they can do, hence my post here.

it's definitely a scam. there's a myriad of ways that people get ripped off with paypal.
schmendeler
AG
PayPal's default stance is to protect the buyer, so there's a good chance whatever scheme this guy is running is built to take advantage of that.
agdoc2001
AG
He pays you via paypal send money/gift then reverses the transaction once he has the truck. This is 100% a scam and those chastising you are suckers.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
HumpitPuryear
AG
There's another scam making the rounds right now too. Buyer says they want to buy your vehicle but they want a vehicle history report (Carfax). They claim that they buy and sell a lot of cars and have a service that's cheap and quick and they send you a link to the service. You click the link to a fake carfax site to buy your carfax report with your credit card and bingo they have all of your credit card info. My GF had this happen on a car she recently sold on CL. She didn't fall for it.

edit to add she also had a buyer that wanted to pay via venmo. Guy came and looked at the vehicle. She said sorry, cash only. I don't know if the venmo thing is similar to the paypal scam or not but I don't deal in anything but cash on private sale deals.
Complete Idiot
agdoc2001 said:

He pays you via paypal send money/gift then reverses the transaction once he has the truck. This is 100% a scam and those chastising you are suckers.
I wouldn't do business with a convicted felon if there are other options, but there is also no guarantee there is a scam. You can only reverse a transaction if the person getting paid hasn't accepted the funds, and perhaps people not familiar with paypal forgot to do that and allow a vehicle to be taken without accepting the funds and verifying everything is paid up. Butin this case the buyer would have to be willing to send a carrier to pick up the truck, initiate the Paypal payment, and just hope the seller doesn't know how to accept a paypal payment in order to execute the scam of reversing the payment.

If the payment is still pending
You can only cancel a pending payment that has a "Cancel" link next to it in your Activity. These payments will be in the "Unclaimed" status, meaning that the recipient hasn't received or accepted it. You won't be able to cancel a pending payment that doesn't have a "Cancel" link. In this case, you may try to contact the recipient/seller to make other arrangements.

If the payment you sent is pending for 30 days, it'll be canceled automatically and refunded to the payment method you used to send the payment. If you cancel a payment you just sent from your bank, please allow 3-4 business days for the money to appear in your bank account.
From your PayPal app, here's how to cancel a pending payment:
[ol]
  • Tap Your activity.
  • Select the payment you want to cancel, and tap Cancel.
  • Tap Cancel Payment.
  • [/ol]From your computer, here's how:
    [ol]
  • On the Activity page, locate the pending payment.
  • Click Cancel.
  • On the next page, click Cancel Payment.
  • [/ol]
    Tumble Weed
    HumpitPuryear said:

There's another scam making the rounds right now too. Buyer says they want to buy your vehicle but they want a vehicle history report (Carfax). They claim that they buy and sell a lot of cars and have a service that's cheap and quick and they send you a link to the service. You click the link to a fake carfax site to buy your carfax report with your credit card and bingo they have all of your credit card info. My GF had this happen on a car she recently sold on CL. She didn't fall for it.

edit to add she also had a buyer that wanted to pay via venmo. Guy came and looked at the vehicle. She said sorry, cash only. I don't know if the venmo thing is similar to the paypal scam or not but I don't deal in anything but cash on private sale deals.
    Venmo is owned by PayPal but has slightly different rules. It is fine to use among friends, but is a playground for petty theft due to reversals.
    agdoc2001
    AG
    The "buyer" is often using a credit card which is reported as stolen or they call their credit card company and report the credit card as stolen. Credit card company orders a chargeback and Paypal takes the funds out of the buyers account.
    No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
    TMoney2007
    AG
    I'm not sending a truck 1200 miles away to a felon convicted of larceny... If he pulls something you're SOL because your vehicle is 1200 miles away and not really worth enough to pay to haul it back.
    Naveronski
    AG
    agdoc2001 said:

Exactly this.

I can't comprehend how some people on here think this is legit. Craigslist even has a warning that shipping cars is 100% a scam.
    videoag98
    AG
    The saga continues....

Today he messages me via Facebook....

"I've been thinking on this for a couple days now. So, if I drive down all the way to
    Texas with a trailer will you take $1500 cash?"

I just told him it was sold. Not sure if he was serious or planning another scheme.

TMoney2007
    AG
    meatsweats said:

The saga continues....

Today he messages me via Facebook....

"I've been thinking on this for a couple days now. So, if I drive down all the way to
    Texas with a trailer will you take $1500 cash?"

I just told him it was sold. Not sure if he was serious or planning another scheme.

There has to be 1000 trucks between him and you...

That said, cash is king. Meet him at a bank and deposit the cash and sign the title, take the plates and sticker.
    Complete Idiot
    Naveronski said:

agdoc2001 said:

Exactly this.

I can't comprehend how some people on here think this is legit. Craigslist even has a warning that shipping cars is 100% a scam.

I would not sell to a convicted felon or anyone that makes you feel uncomfortvL.

However, Craigslist does not really cover this exact scenario - it is geared to those buying, not selling, when it warns you about shipping. It also warns of accepting cashiers checks and money orders, and says don't send money to others if Not meeting in person.

https://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

Facebook marketplace is much different than craigslist in that it at least links to a profile of an actual human with a real name. I suppose scammers create fake Facebook profiles , but if so it seems strange they'd choose a convicted felon as a person to steal the identity of.

It's weird that someone long distance wants to buy a cheap truck and pick it up and haul it back. You noted most of his offenses are drugs and alcohol, not theft - and that he's tied to an auto repair business. Perhaps it is true rust free older vehicles get a premium up north? I'd like to know year make and model and see if it's some flipping opportunity for the Midwest.

Don't buy from anyone that makes you at all nervous, perhaps unless there are no other buyers. Always best to be patient for someone you enjoy dealing with and feel good about. But as someone who has shipped multiple vehicles as both a buyer and seller, sometimes site unseen from interesting characters, and even paid for a vehicle via PayPal once - I am more tolerant. Lots of interesting and shady people buying and selling cars but not always a guarantee to get scammed with no recourse.
    videoag98
    AG
    Pretty much made up my mind, I'm going to sell this to someone local. Cash only, no pay pal crap or trades or anything. I have it listed here in the classifieds is anyone is interested.

https://texags.com/forums/50/topics/3073079/replies/55429246
    John Francis Donaghy
    I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted it just for cheap parts that haven't been ravaged by 15 years of Minnesota winters.

But all the same. I wouldn't trust it not to be a scam of some sort either. Smart to keep it local and cash only.
    Naveronski
    AG
    Complete Idiot said:

Naveronski said:

agdoc2001 said:

Exactly this.

I would not sell to a convicted felon or anyone that makes you feel uncomfortvL.

However, Craigslist does not really cover this exact scenario - it is geared to those buying, not selling, when it warns you about shipping. It also warns of accepting cashiers checks and money orders, and says don't send money to others if Not meeting in person.

Facebook marketplace is much different than craigslist in that it at least links to a profile of an actual human with a real name. I suppose scammers create fake Facebook profiles , but if so it seems strange they'd choose a convicted felon as a person to steal the identity of.

Bull***** Here's a fake Facebook profile. They're all over the place, not some rarity. Look at the ads they post.
    https://m.facebook.com/JM-Auto-Sales-102311841216949/

You really live up to your username.
    Complete Idiot
    Naveronski said:

Complete Idiot said:

Naveronski said:

agdoc2001 said:

Exactly this.

Bull***** Here's a fake Facebook profile. They're all over the place, not some rarity. Look at the ads they post.
    https://m.facebook.com/JM-Auto-Sales-102311841216949/

You really live up to your username.

So they chose to assume the identity of a convicted felon. Criminals are dumb but damn.
    Refresh
    Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.