2012 Explorer 3.5 Timing Chain Rattle

989 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Jack Cheese
B/CS Dreaming
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy,

I have a 2012 Explorer Limited with A 3.5l naturally aspirated engine with 110,000 miles on the clock. Owned since new and I've stayed on top of all maintenance.

It has a pretty nasty timing chain rattle at idle. Based on internet searches, this isn't uncommon. Estimate for fixing it (plus water pump while in there) plus cam phasers is $4700. Ugh.

It looks like a not-fun DIY.

Time to dump it? Get other estimates? Drive it until it grenades?
Jack Cheese
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
B/CS Dreaming said:

Howdy,

I have a 2012 Explorer Limited with A 3.5l naturally aspirated engine with 110,000 miles on the clock. Owned since new and I've stayed on top of all maintenance.

It has a pretty nasty timing chain rattle at idle. Based on internet searches, this isn't uncommon. Estimate for fixing it (plus water pump while in there) plus cam phasers is $4700. Ugh.

It looks like a not-fun DIY.

Time to dump it? Get other estimates? Drive it until it grenades?

Not exactly the same, but I had an 05 Expedition that I bought used in 08. I drove it for 9 years, most of that time with the same type cam phaser / timing chain noise. Sounded like a diesel at idle.

The noise was disconcerting, but I left it alone and it never crapped out on me. It was a great vehicle otherwise. YMMV.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.