Best brand kids power wheels?

13,347 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Scud Runner
ChipFTAC01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Reading through that thread it looks like you swapped out the batteries and then got into some other mods along the way?
03_Aggie
All at the same time. 12v to 24v conversion kit. Those batteries are about half the cost of a power wheels battery.

If you just want a battery, pry the top off the bad one and steal the plug and use it with the cheaper batteries.

ChipFTAC01
AG
Thinking of upgrading to 18v and upgrading the motor. Been looking at this site.

https://www.mltoys.com/category-s/152.htm
Schall 02
AG
agdoc2001 said:

MrJonMan said:

Nice build.....what did all the parts end up running you?
ESC conversion kit was $140 off a guy on ebay, stage IV motors and gears were $200 from mltoys

Thinking about the ESC kit. Happy with it ?
CanyonAg77
AG
I picked up a scrap Razor Dirt Quad in a pile of old bikes and other junk for $20. Those have a steel frame and rubber tires. Later picked up one good as new for $100. Grandson is not yet 2, so I've got some time to work on them.
agdoc2001
AG
Schall 02 said:

agdoc2001 said:

MrJonMan said:

Nice build.....what did all the parts end up running you?
ESC conversion kit was $140 off a guy on ebay, stage IV motors and gears were $200 from mltoys

Thinking about the ESC kit. Happy with it ?

Yes, install wasn't bad and it's held up well for 3 years. We did shred some of the nylon gears in the motors and have to upgrade though.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Started with just a 18v conversion kit, volt gauge, and some LED.

Based on my experience in just pushing them in the driveway, they haven't quite mastered keeping their foot on the gas. Not sure they're ready for the ESC. Wasn't ready to tear it apart yet so I don't know what sort of shape the motors are in. That might be next.
Schall 02
AG
Thanks, doc!
jaggiemaggie
AG
this is on my things to do wishlist:

Upgrade power wheels using 18V milwaukee Li-Ion Batteries
drumboy
AG
Whoa, I'm married to Dewalt and I was wondering if there was a way to sup-up my 3 year olds 4 wheeler.

This thread has got me on a search for a Razor Dirt Quad in Houston and they're not easy to find.

Edit: Just ordered 2 of these Dewalt adapters. I hope this thing doesn't blow up.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000123777483.html
jaggiemaggie
AG
Yeah I recently switched from nicad dewalt a to ryobi. Just make sure you watch his updated version where he installed a voltage cutoff to prevent ruining the batteries.
agdoc2001
AG
That lithium swap is cool. The SLAs in our jeep hurricane are starting to go, so I ordered parts to do a 24V Kobalt lithium battery conversion.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I finally got the parts I ordered a few weeks ago but hadn't gotten around to installing them. The kids have just been cruising the neighborhood with the new battery.

Finally tore it apart this weekend to install the lights and other stuff. My tiny wire soldering skills are crap. I've got everything installed I just need to get it all connected.
drumboy
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

I picked up a scrap Razor Dirt Quad in a pile of old bikes and other junk for $20. Those have a steel frame and rubber tires. Later picked up one good as new for $100. Grandson is not yet 2, so I've got some time to work on them.

I spent the first half of the lockdown looking for a razor dirt quad and finally ordered one. 5 year old rode it for the first time today and she loves it. Pretty fast for that age and welll built.
Ag 11
AG
Dang! They have some great looking stuff on that website. Which one do you have?
ChipFTAC01
AG
Got everything hooked up this afternoon annnnnnnd, nothing. Lights, volt gauge and motors are all dead. I've got a bad link in my circuit somewhere. And discovered the batteries in my voltmeter exploded

After getting so mad with myself as I was hooking it all up because I could solve a ****ing 9th grade science circuit problem I was bouncing off the walls as I finished hooking everything up right before my kids' bedtime.

And it's dead.
Beckdiesel03
AG
If anyone is looking for an artic cat PW in the New Braunfels area I have a used one ready to go. It's 6 yo and faded. Still works and does well with the rewiring. Free to good home.
ChipFTAC01
AG
After getting back into it this morning (and borrowing a multimeter from a neighbor) I tried to figure out the issue. Was ck fusing the hell out of me that both the lights and the ignition circuit weren't working as they were basically separate.

Turn out the ignition cylinder was bad as well as the voltage reducer for the lights. So I bypassed what I needed to do tk get it running again. So a week after I took the jeep apart and offline it's running again, still without any doodads (that work at least) and with wiring that's been hacked up and just wirenutted back together.

All in all a failure of a project.
Scud Runner
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.