Best way to sell/dispose of a (mostly) good SUV?

1,792 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by aTm2004
96AgGrad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife ran our 2012 Mazda CX-9 out of oil and killed the engine. The auto shop she limped it to is saying ~$8k for a new engine installation, and we'd probably rather put that towards a newer used car.

So what is the best way to get rid of the old car? Aside from the motor, it is in pretty good shape, and no accidents. Some online site was offering $1300 for them to tow it away and do whatever with it. Are there any other options?
Dill-Ag13
AG
You could not put a new engine in an 8 year old vehicle. Under $3k anywhere for a used motor.
Otherwise you could donate it to Gods Garage or a similar charity
96AgGrad
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

You could not put a new engine in an 8 year old vehicle. Under $3k anywhere for a used motor.
I'm not mechanical enough to install one myself, and the shop estimates $3k in labor just for that. So that would knock it down to $6k. Gods Garage looks like a possibility.
sts7049
AG
you 100% sure about the diagnosis?
Duncan Idaho
If it limped in to a shop, I'd get a second opinion
CanyonAg77
AG
mileage?

And if you're washing your hands of it, sounds like it's Craiglist time.
Tumble Weed
Put some oil in it and trade it in. They will send it to auction and it will be on a road train to Juarez in a couple of weeks.

96AgGrad
AG
It literally died just getting it to the shop. It was getting no compression. I seriously doubt it would turn over again. Still, I'm taking their word for it. The shop's reviews sound reputable, but who knows.
Dill-Ag13
AG
96AgGrad said:

Dill-Ag13 said:

I'm not mechanical enough to install one myself, and the shop estimates $3k in labor just for that. So that would knock it down to $6k. Gods Garage looks like a possibility.

I'm not mechanically inclined enough either but $3k is a rip-off for labor-only, based on that alone I'd get a second opinion. I'm seeing $1,200 for an engine and roughly $2k in labor.
Jack Cheese
AG
How did your wife run it out of oil? It's not like running out of gas...

A 2012 CX-9 should have a lot of life left. The cheapest car is almost always the one you already own. Of course, if you are flush with cash such that eating a good 8-year old car is no big deal, then my compliments.
96AgGrad
AG
Jack Cheese said:

How did your wife run it out of oil? It's not like running out of gas...

A 2012 CX-9 should have a lot of life left. The cheapest car is almost always the one you already own. Of course, if you are flush with cash such that eating a good 8-year old car is no big deal, then my compliments.
After the fact, I learned she skipped two oil change cycles before the check engine light came on, which she ignored for a week. By that point the damage was done. She used to be very good about oil changes, so I never questioned it. We have other communication issues, so I let her do her own thing with her vehicle and trusted her to do what was necessary.

As far as flush with money, I'm far from it. But I also know my wife won't drive anything unless she has a virtual assurance that it will be reliable (ironically).
AggieDruggist89
AG
Trade it for a minivan?
JamesPShelley
Dill-Ag13 said:

I'm not mechanically inclined enough either but $3k is a rip-off for labor-only, based on that alone I'd get a second opinion. I'm seeing $1,200 for an engine and roughly $2k in labor.
That. If I can drop a solid used engine in my 986, including labor, for ~$4K, surely you can get that Mazda back on the road for less. The "cheapest car is one already you own"? True that, too.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

After the fact, I learned she skipped two oil change cycles before the check engine light came on, which she ignored for a week. By that point the damage was done
A good friend in high school drove a '65 Nova station wagon. Driving the 12 miles home one night from the nearby county seat, she got a warning light on the dash, for either oil or overheat. It scared her and the other girl with her, so she drove faster to get home quicker.

She did not get home.

Her dad was mechanically inclined, and the 250ci 6 cylinder is dead simple, so he overhauled it in their garage. My friend got to wash every oil encrusted piece of that engine, every nut and bolt,while dad fixed it. She didn't have much in the way of,pretty fingernails for a few weeks. It was a pretty effective lesson.

Too bad you aren't mechanically inclined.....
aTm2004
AG
Quote:

She used to be very good about oil changes, so I never questioned it. We have other communication issues, so I let her do her own thing with her vehicle and trusted her to do what was necessary.
Dude, not to sound sexist or anything, but it's a woman with a vehicle. You should always ghost her car and make sure things that need to be done are getting done, especially if she's hauling your kids around in it. Do you never drive her car?
Burdizzo
AG
Call one of your local salvage yards and see if they will buy it. More than likely they have a wrecked vehicle with a decent engine they can swap into it and sell it. You get some cash for the hulk. They get to sell a reconditioned car, and someone who needs a decent used car gets a way to work or school. I see these types of vehicles all the time at my local Pick-n-Pull
f2foxes2001
AG
Find motor, install & keep driving. Profit!
agdaddy04
AG
Not sure it'd be beneficial to him to treat his wife like a daughter.
CanyonAg77
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Not sure it'd be beneficial to him to treat his wife like a daughter.
True.

On the other hand, OP, I hope this doesn't come off too harshly, but the car is the least of your problems.

If you can't civilly communicate about cars, how in Hades are you going to handle real issues in your life?
aggolfer
AG
Sounds like a good opportunity for a LS swap
ac04
get a new wife
aTm2004
AG
aggolfer said:

Sounds like a good opportunity for a LS swap

And to parlay this into a month of no questions asked BJs.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.