Sirius/XM reception problems

2,809 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
Buck Turgidson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have Sirius/XM and the signal constantly cuts out. I have had them send a signal refresh several times and that has made no difference. The regular AM/FM works fine, as does Bluetooth signals from my iphone. Any idea what the problem could be?
AG
XM signal is stuck between 2 big fat pigs. Ive heard newer antennas have better notch filters, havent verified

1agswitchin4lanes
AG
https://downdetector.com/status/siriusxm/

The last 24 hours has been especially bad.

Is this the OEM radio or you have an aftermarket radio?

Sometimes the antenna placement on a DIY install isnt high enough.

If its the OEM setup, you may have a bad antenna or a cable issue.
TxAg20
AG
Do you drive a Land Cruiser. The factory antenna sucks so bad I quit listening to satellite radio.
Buck Turgidson
Its a 2016 Navigator and the radio/antenna are OEM. I had a 2015 Navigator and never had these problems.
The Kraken
AG
I've had it cut out for a few seconds every once in a while during the last week.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Buck Turgidson said:

Its a 2016 Navigator and the radio/antenna are OEM. I had a 2015 Navigator and never had these problems.

Bingo. Thats the info I needed.

Quote:

SSM 47047 2016-2017 Expedition And Navigator Built On Or Before 08/12/2016 And 2016 F150 Built On Or Before 08/09/2016 Sirius Satellite Radio Audio Cuts Out/No Signal

Some 2016-2017 Expedition and Navigator vehicles built on or before 08/12/2016 and 2016 F150 vehicles built on or before 08/09/2016 equipped with Sirius satellite radio may exhibit an intermittent concern where the audio cuts out and the radio displays a No Signal message while driving in open sky conditions in certain locations in your area.

This may be due to interference with cellular phone tower signals.

If a vehicle displays this condition near cellular phone towers, replace the audio unit antenna with part number GL1Z-10E893-AC on Expedition/Navigator and HL3Z-10E893-AA for F-150.

Refer to Workshop Manual(WSM), Section 415-00 for removal and installation instructions. Use applicable labor operation(s) in the SLTS Manual Section 11.

Buck Turgidson
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Buck Turgidson said:

Bingo. Thats the info I needed.

Quote:

SSM 47047 2016-2017 Expedition And Navigator Built On Or Before 08/12/2016 And 2016 F150 Built On Or Before 08/09/2016 Sirius Satellite Radio Audio Cuts Out/No Signal

Some 2016-2017 Expedition and Navigator vehicles built on or before 08/12/2016 and 2016 F150 vehicles built on or before 08/09/2016 equipped with Sirius satellite radio may exhibit an intermittent concern where the audio cuts out and the radio displays a No Signal message while driving in open sky conditions in certain locations in your area.

This may be due to interference with cellular phone tower signals.

If a vehicle displays this condition near cellular phone towers, replace the audio unit antenna with part number GL1Z-10E893-AC on Expedition/Navigator and HL3Z-10E893-AA for F-150.

Refer to Workshop Manual(WSM), Section 415-00 for removal and installation instructions. Use applicable labor operation(s) in the SLTS Manual Section 11.

Thanks. I'll bring this info to my dealer - everything is still under a bumper to bumper warranty.
Strongwind86
AG
Exact issue I experienced w my 2016 that was built in that range. Dealer replaced the satellite antenna under the bulletin listed. No longer have the dropped signal/ open sky problems
AgTech88
AG
Where have you been having the issues? I am in Houston and have been having the same problems for the last 6-8 months. Loosing signal several times a day when in wide open areas with no clouds etc.. I have noticed that sometimes it happens at certain spots, most regularly headed west on I-10 around the the beltway (west side). It almost feels like in West Houston area we are on the fringe of coverage for a satellite that is lower on the southern horizon?

My truck is 2011 Ram with OEM system and antenna so it may could be wiring or antenna issue. What is the best way to diagnose where the issue is, and what are the options to fix it? Can I get a newer antenna that will plug directly into existing wiring?

I listen to satellite radio almost exclusively and it has really become annoying....
Strongwind86
AG
In my F150 it was anywhere in Houston. Live on the NW side and drive everywhere around town.

Just thought it was strange that I would lose the satellite signal going from BWY8 to I-10 east on the overpass. Probably the highest spot around town - with absolutely zero overhead interference from trees/buildings/etc...

The new Sirius antenna fixed all the reception issues I was having.
Buck Turgidson
Mine is going out in Houston all over the place, but I notice it a lot on BW8 and I-45.
AgTech88
AG
Sounds like your new antenna was OEM? My truck is out of warranty so would like to find an aftermarket, or just a part number for a new/upgraded OEM and install it myself.....
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
rsmithtesiusa said:

Sounds like your new antenna was OEM? My truck is out of warranty so would like to find an aftermarket, or just a part number for a new/upgraded OEM and install it myself.....
If your truck is a 16-17 like my SSM posted aboive, you can get the updated antenna.
akaggie05
AG
Quote:

It almost feels like in West Houston area we are on the fringe of coverage for a satellite that is lower on the southern horizon?

The same satellites cover the entire continental US now, although XM and Sirius radios still have independent fleets of two birds each. All are in a geostationary orbit above the equator, so yes, they will always appear above the southern horizon, but that isn't limited to Houston. Until a few years ago, Sirius used a fleet of three birds that were in a polar elliptical orbit which had the somewhat desirable effect of ensuring that at any given time, two out of three were more directly above the continental US.

In the case of dropouts, it's usually a combination of terrain / building blockage, interference from cellular, and lack of ground repeater coverage.
expresswrittenconsent
Great thread. Lots of interesting info on XM. This is slightly off topic, but...

How does Sirius/XM stay in business? I assume they inked long term contracts with OEM car builders several years ago. So maybe a better question would be are they a profitable business or are they hanging by a thread?

As a product, it is often lower quality than terrestrial radio (which is free). They do provide a different service from traditional radio, but most (all?) of that advantage has been lost to podcasts and streaming music (which are also largely free).

I get that they have some loyal fans but it doesnt seem like a growth strategy. All the fleet vehicles don't renew after 2 months. Presumably under 50% of new car buyers dont continue their sub after the trial period.
sts7049
AG
their growth strategy probably still consists mainly of being completely impossible to cancel when you want to cancel.

really though, i'm not sure it's a direct comparison to mobile streaming and podcasts. sirius/xm still works where cell phone data doesn't or isn't as strong when you're on the road. i also don't want to be fiddling with my phone to change playlists, switch from one stream to another.
Silvy
AG
No CarPlay havin ass
sts7049
AG
silverado_lover said:

No Car havin ass
FIFY
TXAG 05
AG
In Houston and I've noticed it dropping out every now and then when out in the open.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Great thread. Lots of interesting info on XM. This is slightly off topic, but...

How does Sirius/XM stay in business? I assume they inked long term contracts with OEM car builders several years ago. So maybe a better question would be are they a profitable business or are they hanging by a thread?

As a product, it is often lower quality than terrestrial radio (which is free). They do provide a different service from traditional radio, but most (all?) of that advantage has been lost to podcasts and streaming music (which are also largely free).

I get that they have some loyal fans but it doesnt seem like a growth strategy. All the fleet vehicles don't renew after 2 months. Presumably under 50% of new car buyers dont continue their sub after the trial period.

I call and tell them to cancel until I get a 4.99/mo for 6 or 12 mos plus taxes and fees.

The sound quality is not great, but there are no commercials and good channels. WHen I'm on the road for 3 or 4 days straight, I realize that they record 'blocks' or 3-4 hour shows and replay them again randomly on different days. Thats when it gets really stale, and I end up on podcasts and spotify.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.