Game day car detailing?

2,231 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by DeadCiv
Brennan22
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hello AB, I am a current student looking for some extra money. I am entertaining the idea of detailing cars as it is something I think I could handle while also making far more money than I would working for someone else (at least per hour).

I was thinking about starting out by doing cars on game days. When people come into town for a game, they could have their car detailed while they are at the game. I feel like I could have an edge on local shops by offering a ride to and from the game. The downside is this would probably limit me to one car per game, but I can live with that.

My question to you is, do you feel like there is any demand for this type of service? And do you think it would be worth competing against established shops?
RingOfive
AG
I don't understand the idea. How exactly does the customer get to the game? And how will you pick them up? The logistics don't make much sense to me, but maybe I'm just misunderstanding.

Edit: Ok, I think I see what you're saying now. They drop off their car at your place, you drive them to the game, then you pick them up after the game and go back to your place where they pick up their car. Is that correct?
Brennan22
Yeah thats the idea, I should have been more clear about that. I'm just not sure if it would be a viable business. Any insight from someone who has been down a similar road would be much appreciated!
Picard
AG
So....you're only working 6 days a year?

DeWrecking Crew
I don't see it working, at least on game days anyway, just too much going on, plus you'd spend half of your time in traffic
Brennan22
I would be doing it year around, just thought that doing game days could be an interesting idea.. guess I'm a little late for this season but there's always next year
JamesPShelley
Or... you pay your own parking... and detail the car in the parking lot... at the game... and hustle getting it done in 4 hours.

RingOfive
AG
JamesPShelley said:

Or... you pay your own parking... and detail the car in the parking lot... at the game... and hustle getting it done in 4 hours.

Wouldn't detailing a car include washing it? How are you going to do that in a parking lot? You would also need access to electricity. And cars are too close together in a parking lot anyway.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
How much experience do you have?

What kind of products/tools would you be using?
JamesPShelley
RingOfive said:

JamesPShelley said:

Wouldn't detailing a car include washing it? How are you going to do that in a parking lot? You would also need access to electricity. And cars are too close together in a parking lot anyway.
There are rigs... 50 gallon tank... compressor running from the battery... with vehicle running... a power washer.

However, correct you are about the cars being close.
Brennan22
I dont have any experience at it, but i've never let that stop me with other jobs, back home I started my own lawn care business at 14 and did that throughout high school. I do take good care of my truck though and know how to wash, clay bar, and wax the proper way. If I were to start this I would be buying a steam cleaner and carpet cleaner, which would run about 350, adding in small things and consumables I think it would be about 800 to start up
91AggieLawyer
AG
Double that. Plus you need a compatable vehicle. Game day only isn't a good idea since you'd be marketing to outside the area clients. Don't worry about competing with shops -- mobile detailing IS a very viable business option but just do it where you are when you can and market to the people in your area.

The thing is, you need some experience here. You need to know the difference between what a car owner who thinks a clean car is and what a professional knows a clean AND protected car is inside and out. You need to know what soaps to use, how to apply them, how not to scratch the various materials on the car, how to apply the various products you use, as well as what products to use. Thinking you can just go to Autozone or even get online and grab a bunch of stuff and use it CAN be a huge mistake.

I don't want to discourage you but I'd recommend you go work for a car wash and see all the things they're doing wrong -- THAT will teach you what you need to be doing. Do that for the next 6 months, get some experience detailing friends and family vehicles for free or low cost and then branch out on your own with business cards and advertising. By then maybe you'll have a spare truck or minivan and you can pull up and look professional. While you CAN do this out of your personal vehicle, it will be difficult and likely lose you business in the long run.
Brennan22
Thanks for the perspective, I hadn't thought about the fact that I would be marketing to people outside of my area...which doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Thank you!
CanyonAg77
AG
I'd check into the cost of liability insurance. Driving people on game day seems pretty high risk.

And is it possible you'll need a CDL, if you're driving people as part of your business?

You might net more money by selling game day parking.

Pepper Brooks
AG
"Uber" from your house to the game could be a way to get around the liability insurance issue for shuttling. Get to where you know the cost and deduct it from the detail fee.

I'd be more worried about accidentally scratching or scuffing someone's Escalade.

Edit: now that I think about it I'd probably just Uber on gameday. Forget the car wash.
Ogre09
AG
Do they still do the shuttle from the mall to the stadium? You could set up at the mall parking lot, try to catch a few customers as they come in, have them park in an open spot (open spaces around, and knock it out while they're gone. That way you wouldn't need to worry about transporting them.

My youth minister in high school had a mobile trailer rig like that for a side job. My buddy and I worked for him some, and then my buddy built his own rig. He ran that thing all through college, then trained and sold it to a younger kid when he graduated. Can definitely make good money at it. I don't think game day is a bad idea, but don't limit yourself to those days. Plenty of business around. We would mostly go to people's work places. Most of the appeal to the car owner is the convenience of not taking their time taking it somewhere.
UmustBKidding
When working Telmex/Telcell in Mexico City the parking lot guards at several places we ate lunch at rented out slots to people that would wash, detail, do minor repairs like oil changes and tire rotations while you ate lunch. The guard tip made sure the care did not leave the lot with the service crew and a few of the people I went with use them without issue.
lb3
AG
DeadCiv
AG
lb3 said:

My car is to ****ty to detail but I would love to get my tires changed during a game or while at work. That's a business that would cost a bit more to get off the ground but could be interesting.
See what you did there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.