King Ranch Leather

3,348 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Greeze06
AustinCountyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm most likely getting a new truck this next year and I have always wanted a King Ranch. However, looking online at different used ones I've noticed some of the seats have a discoloration where you sit (these are in newer trucks 2018+).

I am just curious if this is a normal thing for the King Ranch leather to do this. Whatever truck I end up going with I am going to keep for ten + years so I want the leather to hold up. Any thoughts?
03_Aggie
Very disappointed in the wear of the ones in our Expedition. It's a 2012 though so I'm sure they've changed them since then but I certainly would not pay up for the emblems ever again.
aTm2004
AG
It probably looks like that because it's a better/real leather vs. the leather you get with the Limited/Platinums. I wonder if what you're seeing are seats that have been conditioned/cleaned a couple times a year.
03_Aggie
aTm2004 said:

It probably looks like that because it's a better/real leather vs. the leather you get with the Limited/Platinums. I wonder if what you're seeing are seats that have been conditioned/cleaned a couple times a year.

Oddly enough the leather in the 2012 was the switch from the saddle leather that people complained about discoloration and high maintenance. The version in ours is supposed to be low maintainable, condition once every six months with their conditioner.
fooz
I can't speak for the newer leather, but when I had my 06 King Ranch I used saddle leather conditioner and it kept it in great shape. I don't recall the brand.
aTm2004
AG
Lexol or Chamberlain's Leather Milk?
fooz
aTm2004 said:

Lexol or Chamberlain's Leather Milk?
It was probably lexol or huberds.
saltydog13
AG
I used the King ranch saddle shop conditioner for an 03 king ranch. That was some thirsty leather to maintain.
vansprinkle
AG
I miss the real saddle leather in my 04 F250. I'm honestly not even interested in getting a KR any more since they've switched to "normal" truck leather.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
aTm2004 said:

Lexol
Never ever ever use this.
ccolley68
AG
vansprinkle said:

I miss the real saddle leather in my 04 F250. I'm honestly not even interested in getting a KR any more since they've switched to "normal" truck leather.

Same. My dad had a couple of the older KR Super Duty's when they still did the real KR leather, and it did take some maintenance, but so does a good saddle. Just most people aren't interested in maintenance of anything anymore.

I went with a Lariat and don't regret it. I also don't care much for the color of the new KR leather package. The first iteration of the leather and the color was by far the best.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Agree -- don't use Lexol or any other OTC "conditioner." Just keep it clean, and clean it more often than you think you need to (at least quarterly).

If KR uses/used uncoated leather, they're the only ones in the industry that does so that I'm aware of. Even high end vehicles use coated leather. It is high quality but coated. Conditioners are useless as they'll rub on your clothing when you get in. I don't think you can add UV protection over the coating -- the coating either provides UV protection or it doesn't.
saltydog13
AG
vansprinkle said:

Same. I don't see the point in paying more for a KR if it's just a different color leather than a lariat
DeWrecking Crew
When did they change? I've got an '09 KR that I've had no problems with, and have never used any sort of conditioner...but I'll admit, could give 2 ****s what my seats look like, so not looking at it with a critical eye
Trinity Ag
S
saltydog13 said:

vansprinkle said:

Same. I don't see the point in paying more for a KR if it's just a different color leather than a lariat
I'm not sure you are actually paying more for a KR if you option a Lariat to the same level: a KR is basically a Lariat with a 502A luxury package and the V8 option -- and those two options get you over the price of a baseline KR -- assuming you can find one.

I loved the old school leather. But I also like seats that are something besides black or tan, and the new KR brown is still better than those, IMO
ccolley68
AG
DeWrecking Crew said:

When did they change? I've got an '09 KR that I've had no problems with, and have never used any sort of conditioner...but I'll admit, could give 2 ****s what my seats look like, so not looking at it with a critical eye
Then why bother paying for a KR? It's basically just an appearance package with fancy leather interior. Everything else can be had on other/lower trim levels.
f2foxes2001
AG
Had it in my '09. Was a good experience. You do have to condition it and care for it.
DeWrecking Crew
ccolley68 said:

DeWrecking Crew said:

Then why bother paying for a KR? It's basically just an appearance package with fancy leather interior. Everything else can be had on other/lower trim levels.

Got a good deal on it, it wasn't new, it was 6 months old with 10k miles on it and already had a couple of aftermarket items that I was needing like a gooseneck hitch and brush guard
saltydog13
AG
Trinity Ag said:

saltydog13 said:

vansprinkle said:

I'm not sure you are actually paying more for a KR if you option a Lariat to the same level: a KR is basically a Lariat with a 502A luxury package and the V8 option -- and those two options get you over the price of a baseline KR -- assuming you can find one.

I loved the old school leather. But I also like seats that are something besides black or tan, and the new KR brown is still better than those, IMO
Yeah I haven't looked that close at the specific packages. Just going off of a quick autotrader search of Lariats at ~$57k and KR around $65k
Trinity Ag
S
saltydog13 said:

Trinity Ag said:

saltydog13 said:

vansprinkle said:

Yeah I haven't looked that close at the specific packages. Just going off of a quick autotrader search of Lariats at ~$57k and KR around $65k
Sunroof
Engine Upgrade
FX4 package
Tech/Accidence avoidance package
Chrome trim
Upgraded wheels
towing

Dealers almost always lard up King Ranches with $8-10k of extra options, creating space between the Lariats and KR -- but the prices overlap if you can find a basic KR w/o a sunroof & FX4 -- which is tough.

If you want 20" wheels and a B&O stereo (requiring the luxury packages) in a Lariat, you are at KR money.

CactusThomas
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

aTm2004 said:

Lexol

Are you only talking about in vehicles? Or saddles/tack also?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
CactusThomas said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

aTm2004 said:

Lexol

Are you only talking about in vehicles? Or saddles/tack also?
Not sure about that, but I dont use it on anything automotive.
Greeze06
AG
I have a '13 King Ranch F250 and the leather is great. What I love about that package. I use the Leather Conditioner from the King Ranch store and it keeps it pristine. Hand rub it in every 6 months, takes 15 minutes.

Highly recommend.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.