2016-17 Range Rover Discovery Sport - Should I buy or not buy?

1,927 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Aust Ag
TrueAg86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I would like your informed opinions of this vehicle. I absolutely love the exterior styling but have heard mixed reviews of its performance, ride and interior finishes. If you have any personal experience with this car, I would greatly appreciate your opinions about its quality, service requirements, etc.

Thanks and Gig em!
Dill-Ag13
AG
TexAgs' opinion: Absolutely not without a warranty of some kind.

My opinion: see above
The Lost
I almost bought one new (hse), but the maintenance scared me away.

I've driven one as a rental and it was a blast.
EMY92
AG
Buy 2, that way you can swap them out of the shop as needed.

When you buy new, the loaner vehicles are nice.
knoxtom
I have a full size discovery and it is my favorite car i have ever owned or driven. It is nicer than my 5 series on road, better than my 4runner off road, and is simply amazing in snow and ice. I got a 100k warranty so i dont worry much about repairs, etc. Maintenance is crazy expensive but you only do it every 15k miles.

It also tows my travel trailer great and has amazing real liife power. And the meridian stereo is crazy good.

I really really like it. Not sure about the baby disco but rover is making some bad ass cars.
JSKolache
AG
Not unless you're made of money brother. Used british is approaching italian in upkeep expense. Def worse than used german.
Tumble Weed
I put over 160,000 miles on a Land Rover Discovery over the period of a decade. It was a very well made vehicle. I bought it in Amarillo because my wife needed a snowmobile. That place is basically Southern Canada. I think that I spotted a polar bear once.

I will try to remember what I replaced on it that wasn't standard stuff and approximate cost.

Starter $500
Master cylinder $800
Water pump (can't remember).
PCV Valve

The weakest point on this SUV was the braking system. I did not have an air suspension, and would not buy a Range Rover that had an air suspension. Those things always have an issue.

The strongest points would be the chassis and the interior. It didn't creak and rattle in it's old age. It was still tight and sound. The small stuff like window motors, door locks, radio, didn't go out. The seats were made of a high quality leather, and held up incredibly well over the years.

When I sold it, it needed another brake job and 2 of the seat belts had quit working. I decided that have a vehicle with no brakes and no seat belts was asking for trouble.

I am driving a Tundra right now. It cost me nearly $2000 to replace a starter and a power steering pump. I have arrived at the opinion that you might as well drive what you like, as it seems that all vehicles are expensive to maintain these days.

TrueAg86
AG
Good info folks. I'm still tempted. I like the style of the Evoque, but it's just so small. What's surprising to me is that the Evoque is more expensive than the Discovery Sport even though it's the smaller of the two.
Tumble Weed
Did you drive it yet? Does that model have a supercharger?
Goodest Poster
AG
Have you looked at the Velar?

We looked at the new RR Sports this weekend. We liked the Velar, but it was a tad too small for us.

Goodest Poster
AG
The Lost said:

I almost bought one new (hse), but the maintenance scared me away.

I've driven one as a rental and it was a blast.
You can pre-buy maintenance plan for 1800 for 3 years.
AgCPA95
AG
jftx04 said:

Have you looked at the Velar?

We looked at the new RR Sports this weekend. We liked the Velar, but it was a tad too small for us.

We saw that a few months ago in the Jaguar/RR Katy store...really nice looking. My wife is all over getting an F-Pace. If she does, I have to try and convince her we need the F-Pace SVR!
Aust Ag
AG
Tumble Weed said:

Did you drive it yet? Does that model have a supercharger?
I drove a '15 this week with a supercharger....woweee!! Thought I was going to pop a wheelie. Thinking about pulling the trigger.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.