2019 Expedition Max

8,414 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AgsWin2011
civilized05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thinking about pulling th trigger on one of these in the next few days. Those of you that have one, what are yalls thoughts, complaints, praises?

We bought a beautiful, new to us 2015 yukon xl denali last year and it has been a giant disappointment. It's been issue after issue and we've finally had enough. We've thought about going with a newer model yukon xl, but we're still dealing with a POS GM product. With that being said, we're looking to make the jump to the Ferd and like the newer body style.

We've got little ones, so what have you guys done for rear seat entertainment, since most of these don't come with them? Also, we've got some pricing from a local dealer, but I'd love to know what other deals may be out there. We're looking at a Limited, Texas edition if that helps. Email is user @ Gmail for anyone that wants to reach out.

Thanks for any advice guys! Whatever decision I make I'll be sure to post pics of the new ride.

bbry81
Just bought an 18 max limited with the rear entertainment. The thing is huge but a blast to drive. First car bought in 13 yrs and without a v8 but this thing gets up and moves. We got bucket seats in the 2nd row to make it easier to get to the third row. Three kids have Tons of space. Very impressed and recommend
Agmechanic
AG
We just bought a "Base" 2019 Limited MAX.

Bench seat in the back and no infotainment. We like it so far. My kids are 7 and 4 and have Ipads so we use the wifi hotspot and they do their thing with bluetooth headphones. My Wife had been driving an 08 Edge so this thing is amazing.
a gmechanic 01@gma i l (no spaces)
YouBet
AG
Good friend has both a Yukon and an Expedition. He loves the latter. Says it just drives way better.
civilized05
AG
We've got 3 kids as well so the bucket seats and comfy 3rd row are a must. The third row in the denali is a joke compared to the Ford. Also a huge fan of the adjustable second row and reclining 3rd row.

The wife test drove it as I sat in the very back and said it was really zippy. Has a completely different sound than the big V8. It did sound a bit noisier in the cabin than the denali, but that may have been due to the big panorama roof panel being open during the ride.

Interestingly enough, I didn't get that high g feel when my wife was turning corners, as I sat in the back, like I do in the yukon. Also, the sight lines seem quite a bit better in the Ford.
bbry81
Yeah there is tons of space in the 3rd row with the bucket seats being able to move. the flood being lower makes a huge difference with head space and not eating your knees. I like the noise like you said different than the typical v8 but I was surprised how quick it is. Only had it for a little while but so far love it.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Although more tech limited than the Ford, I'd at least look at the Toyota Sequoia. I don't know about the room and the mileage will be a little less but the quality will be better.
bbry81
I believe the room would be similar in the sequoia but the tech and the mileage aren't even close to the same. And that's coming from someone who has 2 Toyota's and parent have 2 and sister has 2 so Toyota is in my blood.
civilized05
AG
I figured the sequoia was more akin to the Tahoe or smaller expedition with limited space behind the third row. For us, we need the extra cargo space the Max provides. Otherwise, we'd a stuck with our old school Tahoe. I'll look at the sequoias, but I don't think they're big enough.
Post removed:
by user
AgLiving06
What's the real life gas mileage look like?

Underpowered engines with the turbos still give me pause when it comes to SUVs.
civilized05
AG
That's about where we're at with pricing. They are offering 0% for 72 months in addition to a $2k rebate. We'll put some money down, but most places we've called aren't going much lower than $70-$72k. Honestly, I'm not gonna haggle and drive my butt all over town for an extra $1-$2k off sticker.

Kills me to spend that kind of money, but there is hardly anything with low mileage in the newer model on the secondary market. I guess that bodes well for the most part, in people seem to be hanging on to them.
Dill-Ag13
AG
I'm so out of touch. $70k for an Expedition?!
The Wonderer
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

I'm so out of touch. $70k for an Expedition?!

Where you been? Dont even look at diesel truck prices...
civilized05
AG
For the expedition max (the big suburban/Yukon xl style one), unfortunately yeah.

It's a tough pill to swallow, but I think gone are the days of a maxed out full size suv for 40-50k.
nonameag99
Try 1ags hook up at Tommy Vaughn for pricing

My wife has an '18 el and gets 18mpg per the computer
Ag for Life
AG
nonameag99 said:

Do the math by hand and the actual number will be 1-1.5 mpg lower. Ford's are notorious for this
lawless89
My wife just got a 2019 expedition "loaded" XLT and it's awesome. No complaints
AG
What have been your issues with the Yukon? Is it really that bad that you want to go out and spend 70k on an expedition?
Canyon99
Those guys are quoting Limited trimmed Expeditions. I've seen many XLTs with leather just above $45k.
Flaith
AG
Seventy thousand dollars
Post removed:
by user
tamuags08
AG
My wife's low mileage Odyssey with leather/power sliding doors was around 24K. You could buy three of those damn things for the price of a new Expy
civilized05
AG
Well, for starters, the engine blew up on us as we were headed back from the lake. Stranded us on the side of 290 with the boat in tow. That was a fun ordeal. Got it replaced juuust barely under warranty, only to have it die on us again while in Florida for vacation due to a grounding wire issue. Had to replace the catalytic converter, most likely as a result from the original engine implosion. Fixed under warranty from the original engine replacement.

Just about every piece of external plastic is falling off or apart. Evap canister needs changing and the dealer said they were gonna have to replace the entire gas tank. Whatever that's about. Rides way rougher than it should for having the super duper magniride suspension.

The on board tech seems dated and sluggish especially for a 2015. Wouldn't surprise me if the transmission were the next thing to go.

All in all, I have very little faith in the truck and at this point expect it to not start more than I expect it to start, so yeah, if I have to drop some coin for peace of mind for my wife and small children, then yes I'll do so. Would I like a cheaper suv with all the modern amenities, sure, but unfortunately the pickens are slim. We thought we were getting a deal buying a new to us used truck, only to be saddled with a lemon, for all intents and purposes.
The Wonderer
AG
Ag for Life said:

nonameag99 said:

Do the math by hand and the actual number will be 1-1.5 mpg lower. Ford's are notorious for this
I hand calc my 2019 diesel and it's not that far off. I think they've realized they can't do that anymore.
civilized05
AG
You're telling me. I'd be right there with you if they had any kind of towing capabilites.

The kids loved the minivan when we had to rent one.

Unfortunately we need the space for kids, dogs, gear, and hauling the boat/trailer places. Sadly that limits us to only a few vehicles.
robertcope
civilized05 said:

Unfortunately we need the space for kids, dogs, gear, and hauling the boat/trailer places. Sadly that limits us to only a few vehicles.
Indeed, the only reason I have my Expedition is that it tows real nice and has a fairly high (9200lbs) twoing capacity. Otherwise, I'd be driving... I don't know, bit something else that was smaller, got better mileage, etc. That said, the Expedition is pretty handy to cruise around in. Just not many vehicles that can play as many roles, and play them well, as the Expedition!
Flaith
AG
I was so blown away by the prospect of paying $70k for a truck, I went looking.

There are PLENTY of low mileage used ELs and MAXs out there. Sorted only CPO yielded:

2019 Ford Expedition MAX XLT RWD - $41,000
https://cargur.us/xgCyL

2017 Ford Expedition EL King Ranch - $34,000
https://cargur.us/xG0GK

1agswitchin4lanes
AG
TV had some leftover Service loaner 18 XLTs for a while they were letting go for dirt cheap.

Cloth seats, no big screen, but buy it cheap, toss in aftermarket leather and add Sync 3 from kits you can buy online (if you need a big screen) and call it good.

2019 Sync 3 is standard in Expedition.

I drove a Tahoe for a rental last week and I think the seats are better by a hair than the expedition. Everything else I think the Expedition is better at.
MouthBQ98
AG
We have a '17 XLT 4x4 and it's been great. Just had to replace the rear struts but it does have 125K miles already. Did the plugs at 100K, and regular interval maintenance.

Plenty of power. Should be good deals on used ones out there now.
The Wonderer
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

We have a '17 XLT 4x4 and it's been great. Just had to replace the rear struts but it does have 125K miles already. Did the plugs at 100K, and regular interval maintenance.

how?
crowman2010
AG
The Wonderer said:

MouthBQ98 said:

how?
username checks out
Gig-Em2003
AG
New Tahoe/Suburban/Yukons for 2021 are coming out 1Q20 or 2Q20. Will be complete overhaul. New tech, independent rear suspension, new third row. I'd wait. They won't be cheap but they've got the Expedition in their sights.
MouthBQ98
AG
Wife's hobbies involve lots of driving to shows and events, and we both commute 100 miles/day for work.

lawless89
My wife's XLT has everything except for sunroof(thankfully), split second row and automatic folding steps. It's leather with heat and a/c seats and is much nicer than her Cadillac she had. We got it for $51k with 0% 72. Other than wanting the split middle seat, there was no reason to make the 10-20k jump to a limited.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.