Power Tools

2,343 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by sts7049
rao11010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am looking for a new power tool around the house/garage for nuts and bolts. I already have a drive/hammer drill but it's too bulky so i'm looking for something more compact when working on vehicles. What do yall recommend or have had experience with? I'm interested in a few below and but have no real experience with any. Any pros or cons?

Power Ratchet
12v Impact Driver
18v Impact Driver
zooguy96
1. Old Milwaukee
2. Dewalt

In that order. IMHO. Of course, Harbor Freight doesn't sell either one where I live, so I got my Dewalt used, and it works great.

Of those 3, I'd get the Old Milwaukee 18 V Impact.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
'03ag
Edit: no clue how that emoji was selected.

You shouldnt be using an impact driver on automotive nuts and bolts, so the 2nd two are out.

I have the M12 power ratchet and I think it's well worth it. Recently took the cams out of a truck at the pick n pull and it was a great time saver. Also just did a valve cover gasket. Really glad to have this tool.

I researched these and there's a harbor freight version, but I dont think it's worth it. If I wanted a knockoff I'd buy this. At $70 it's $20 less than it was a few months ago when I was looking. If it had been this cheap then I probably would've bought it instead of the Milwaukee.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CZWBYBK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_WOqEDb75NSZTY

The thing to consider though is the batteries. Do you want to buy into a battery system or do you just want the tool? And do you currently have any other battery systems?

When I bought mine Home Depot had a deal going where you if you bought the M12 battery starter kit for $100(a 1.5ah and 3.0ah plus charger) you got to choose a "free" tool as well. So I got two batteries and an oscillating tool for $100. Then I bought the M12 ratchet tool only on Amazon for $80. Not a bad deal and I may want some other M12 tools later.

If I had bought the Amazon knockoff I wouldn't be able to expand it.

FamousAgg
I own a Milwaukee 3/8 inch power ratchet and really like it. I would go 3/8 over the 1/4" if you have the option. I got it on sale for about $100 maybe $120 from HD. I would caution that you will have to break loose the bolts before using the power ratchet. I snapped the drive shaft on my 3/8" power ratchet trying to break a bolt loose. Cost me about $15 and 30 minutes to replace the part.

As far as the driver, I think the 12v should be good enough for automotive work, but I have not used it myself.

I didn't go for the m12 fuel, I just did the normal m12, not sure the difference between the two.
TMoney2007
AG
I wouldn't buy what is likely a knock off of the Milwaukee power ratchet for a number of reasons...

Mainly, I'm not buying a battery powered tool with unique batteries. Also, I do my best not to support blatant intellectual property theft.
drumboy
AG
I have a DeWalt 1/4" impact for most car stuff and a 1/2" impact for lugs and other big bolts like caliper bolts. I never used a power ratchet but I have a pneumatic one I've used a couple times in tight spots but it's really loud and not that fast.

I'd go Milwaukee if starting over but I already have DeWalt batteries (weedeater too) so I stick w/ those. I used a 3/8" Milwaukee impact driver before and I think it would work for anything on a car.

Edit: 20V
Aero95
AG
I'm a big Milwaukee fan after using a lot of the M12 line. Ratchet and drill/driver work great as do any of their LED lights in the line. I recently got that M18 string trimmer/pole saw combo so I'm sure I'll be getting bigger tools soon enough since I now have the other battery system...
FunnyFarm14
AG
Dewalt 18v seems to hold up pretty well for me.

FWIW- Kobalt air impact seems to work pretty well for me. Never used anything electric for wheels, caliper bolts etc.
91AggieLawyer
AG
I got a Makita Drill/Driver brushless set at the first of May. I used them to do some closet repair at my parent's house in late May and one of the batteries has been in our handheld small vac since then. The other one has been on one of the devices. Both batteries haven't been used much since May. Neither have been charged but both still have plenty of power!

My old Makita driver lasted 11 years and was going strong. The first set of batteries crapped out inside of 5 but Makita replaced them free and, of the second set, one crapped out after 6 more years and the other one was going fine. Most of the big name tools work fine. You buy the battery life. Edited to add that if you plan to add cordless saws, Makita is objectively the way to go (see youtube comparisons). They've always had the upper hand on cutting tools, corded and now brushless cordless. For drills/drivers/etc., pick whatever you like and feels most comfortable -- as well as battery life.

Also, don't let anyone tell you that since Dewalt and Black and Decker have the same parent company (same for Milwaukee and Ryobi) that the brands are the same. They aren't. Each brand stands or falls on its own merits. With that said, Ryobi makes some quality products -- that door jig is used professionally.
fooz
zooguy96 said:

Milwaukee
/thread
Naveronski
AG
drumboy said:

I have a DeWalt 1/4" impact for most car stuff and a 1/2" impact for lugs and other big bolts like caliper bolts. I never used a power ratchet but I have a pneumatic one I've used a couple times in tight spots but it's really loud and not that fast.

I have a 20v 1/2" dewalt impact, and it's been a dream for working on my truck.
TMoney2007
AG
FunnyFarm14 said:

FWIW- Kobalt air impact seems to work pretty well for me. Never used anything electric for wheels, caliper bolts etc.
I wouldn't buy Dewalt 18V at this point unless you already had a bunch of tools in that system.
Guitarsoup
AG
All Milwaukee here
drumboy
AG
TMoney2007 said:

FunnyFarm14 said:

I wouldn't buy Dewalt 18V at this point unless you already had a bunch of tools in that system.

Isn't the 18V NiCad? I thought those went away.
Tim Weaver
I'd say get the smallest footprint 1/4" impact you can find. They work great as your general purpose nut and bolt remover/replacer. I have a Hitachi/Metabo I got on sale. Wish it was smaller, but I love using it.

Then get a big honkin 1/2" cordless impact for lug nuts and suspension bolts. I inherited an old NiCad 18V Snap On. It absolutely rocks, but it's very heavy. Lithium would be nice.

If your 1/4" impact is small enough I wouldn't worry about getting a cordless ratchet.

Buy a really nice worklight. Maybe one that runs on the battery system of your other tools. Bright lights with magnets, hooks, and bendy parts to point the light where you need it are the best tool you can have.
TxSquarebody
Milwaukee power ratchet. I use one almost ever day. Lots of chooch for your choch!
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
fooz said:

zooguy96 said:

Milwaukee
/thread
drumboy
AG
Here's a good start for your Milwaukee kit.

https://slickdeals.net/f/13379098-milwaukee-m18-fuel-2997-23-hammerdrill-driver-sawzall-324?src=tdw

91AggieLawyer
AG
TMoney2007 said:

FunnyFarm14 said:

Why not?

I stayed away from Dewalt in the 2000s, but that was a lifetime ago in cordless tools.

One thing not mentioned here is the newer Harbor Freight cordless tools. Getting some pretty good reviews so far.
'03ag
Im assuming he means because Dewalt went to 20V a while ago.
sts7049
AG
i love that guy's channel.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.