Rolls Seraph or Bentley Arnage? any experience with older Rolls?

2,108 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Carny89
Towns03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It turns out that Rolls Royce don't hold their value very well. My dad has always wanted one so I've been snooping around some auctions looking at Silver Seraphs. Just recently I've looked at an Arnage.

Does anyone here have experience with the engines in these things? I think the Arnage uses a BMW V8. I don't know who made the Rolls V12. Should we rule out either one of these based on reliability?

Who's the AB expert on this stuff??

TIA!
aggiepaintrain
AG
I'd pass on anything made with a BMW V8
Complete Idiot
With full build schematics and a fabrication shop at your disposal, you'll be fine.
hatchback
AG
The Silver Seraph uses the BMW V12; the Bentley Arnage uses a BMW V8 for years 1998-2000 and a Bentley V8 for years 1999-2009.

Personal preference: I like the sporty looks of the Bentley over the ultra-luxe looks of the Rolls - especially the 2007+ years after the facelift.
JSKolache
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

I'd pass on anything made with a BMW V8 in low volume, by hand, in Britain.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Cheap to buy. 700 dollar brake pads.
Towns03
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Cheap to buy. 700 dollar brake pads.
do you even Rock Auto?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/rolls-royce,2000,silver+seraph,5.4l+v12,1364408,brake+&+wheel+hub,brake+pad,1684
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Price a rotor
ccolley68
AG
Is cost of maintenance and reliability even a concern with a car like that? I thought the adage with a car like that is maintenance and cost of ownership is stupid high, but you know that going in and if you can afford the car, you can obviously afford the upkeep. Take it to the dealer and tell them to do whatever they say and charge your AmEx Black, just do it fast, type of people
Trinity Ag
S
ccolley68 said:

Is cost of maintenance and reliability even a concern with a car like that? I thought the adage with a car like that is maintenance and cost of ownership is stupid high, but you know that going in and if you can afford the car, you can obviously afford the upkeep. Take it to the dealer and tell them to do whatever they say and charge your AmEx Black, just do it fast, type of people
Those type of people just have Jeeves take care of it.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
considered a low priced one - until somebody said that a low priced one would be the highest priced one !
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
Texasclipper
AG
My neighbor who tinkers with everything bought a 78 Rolls Silver Shadow (totally different I know) cheap to fix and resell. It didn't run and he was working on getting it to run.

Engineering wise, everything on that car was strange and seemed to be done the hard way. I think the brakes were tied in to the power steering somehow. I never found out what happened with that car as it just suddenly dissappeared and i didn't want to bring up a failure to the guy if he struck out with it.

The newer BMW engineered cars may be less strange, but don't count on it.
Towns03
AG
I let the auctions that i was looking at slide. I think the plan is to lay in wait until one comes up that's reasonable to see in person first.

I'll report back as soon as there's movement.

thanks for the input.
Carny89
I had the privilege I guess a few years ago to baby sit a rolls for a month. The transmission was a th400 and the radio was something you would see in all of gm cars from the mid 80's to the 90's. Neat car.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.