Thinking about a Tesla

32,461 Views | 251 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 07ag
suprafly03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know they get killed on this site, but I drove the Model S and X today, and I might be in love.

My wife has an Escalade, I currently have a 200 series Land Cruiser (that I would keep), and thinking about one of these two options as my daily driver/kid hauler.

Why wouldn't I do this? Is there something I'm missing? Given my above listed cars, im clearly not some tree hugger. It's not about the zero emissions, it is about luxury, tech and acceleration.

I fairly recently had a BMW 550, so fast sedans are no foreign concept for me.

Give me your thoughts on the current state of Tesla's and why I should/SHOULDNT do this.
RingOfive
AG
I think Tesla's are great. It's the *****y vanity plates that 90% of Tesla's owners put on them that give them a bad rap. At least that's my opinion. My biggest concern with buying one, though, would be the PITA of getting them fixed/serviced. You can't just drive it 10 miles down the road to the dealership and get an issue fixed in 24 hours.
suprafly03
AG
So I live in Tyler which makes owning a few Luxury brands an absolute PITA due to no dealer/service facility. We have BMW, MB and Cadillac. Audi, Volvo, Lexus, Infiniti...nope.

Strangely there is a TESLA service facility here. And they always have a fleet of loaners in a pinch.

It's just made the purchase decision easier for me.
07ag
AG
get a tesla, i've had a model3 for over a year now with zero problems. have had to fill the windshield washer fluid and rotate the tires. that's it for maintenance so far in 16k miles.

they are blisteringly quick off the line, still so fun to floor it a year later. frequent software updates keep the car feeling fresh. autopilot and future fsd make road trips less painful.

referral link in my signature
https://ts.la/eric59704
Aggietaco
AG
With free supercharging back on the table, go for it.

The only thing anyone hates on about the model S or X are the people that drive them or the company behind them.
ABATTBQ11
AG
07ag said:

get a tesla, i've had a model3 for over a year now with zero problems. have had to fill the windshield washer fluid and rotate the tires. that's it for maintenance so far in 16k miles.

they are blisteringly quick off the line, still so fun to floor it a year later. frequent software updates keep the car feeling fresh. autopilot and future fsd make road trips less painful.

referral link in my signature

I have to lol at future fsd... Fast forward to the bottom for why.

The issue that I have with Tesla is their ignoring of decades of automotive experience while trying to reinvent the wheel. Musk took a look at the industry and decided, from a position of ignorance, that he knew better. The problem with that thinking is that in many cases Tesla did not know better, and it shows in their inability to consistently (really just ever) turn a profit and and a poor build quality and quality control.

Their body panel gaps and alignment leave a lot to me desired. They're inconsistent and noticeable and some cars.

Paint. Their paint is inconsistent. Some is good. Some is thin. Some parts get missed. Other manufacturers have this down pat. Yes, you can really paint and touch up, but you will never get the clean room, controlled conditions of an automotive plant anywhere else. It's just not the same.

Touchscreens. For years, these have been an issue. Automotive touchscreens are generally small and expensive. When Musk questioned this and wanted a giant screen on the car, he questioned why it wasn't already a thing since laptop screens were so big, pretty durable, and cheap. Turns out, automotive screens are designed to withstand insane conditions within a hot car that other screens simply can't. Tesla went with a large industrial screen that wasn't quite to the loudest automotive standards, but that they thought should work anyway. Turns out it didn't and they did LOTS of replacements. Part of their eventual solution was simply turning on the A/C when the car started getting too hot inside. This is where the dog mode originally came from. It's still an issue, though, because they still experience yellowing borders around the screen that aren't covered under warranty, and last I heard they were trying to develop one in house to address this.

And as for FSD... It's a pipe dream with Teslas, IMO (and not just IMO) because it is purely camera based. From a technical perspective, I don't ever see it being as capable as a lidar/radar/camera system, or even capable enough to be autonomous, and any future upgrades to get it there would inevitably require new hardware installation.

Lidar solves most of the issues that plague camera based image recognition systems because it offers better ranging and low light capability. AP's cameras may be able to see road lines at night, but a deer farther ahead or something else in the road that is not illuminated by ambient light or headlights simply can't be seen until you get to it. Lidar has less of an issue with this because it self illuminates and has a very long range, so objects can be detected and sensed before they can be visually recognized.

Cameras can also be obscured by rain or snow or fog in the same way your windshield can. Autonomous vehicles using radar can see through this. There is currently promising work on getting lidar to work in these conditions, but it's not quite there. There was a very interesting project or of MIT last year that filtered out noise in a lidar system due to fog and shows or to recognize and perceive objects that can't be seen through cameras.
tailgatetimer10
AG
The cars do seem sweet, but I agree on the build quality. I was parked next to one last week and the orange peel in the paint was insane. Not sure how you'd let that thing roll off the line.

Clearly the owner/buyer didn't care though
Duncan Idaho
To be fair, I feel the same way every time I pull up next to a black Cadillac
tailgatetimer10
AG
This one was white and it was pretty heavy..

Never seen one like that from the manufacturer
Duncan Idaho
Yeah they're is something wrong if you can notice orange peel on a white car
ABATTBQ11
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

The cars do seem sweet, but I agree on the build quality. I was parked next to one last week and the orange peel in the paint was insane. Not sure how you'd let that thing roll off the line.

Clearly the owner/buyer didn't care though

There are certainly some very cool technical advances in them from a drivetrain perspective, but the car part of the car leaves something to be desired. It feels like Tesla has had to get creative and, IMO, cut some corners to get the production cost to where they need it to be while (kind of) delivering on features and pricing. Even then, they're killing themselves on margin with price cuts to stimulate demand. One of my biggest concerns would be them going tango uniform in the next 3 years.
AgGrad99
AG
Serious question...how easy is it to recharge these things, away from home?

I mean...Houston to Dallas...I need a recharge...what happens?

Is there adequate infrastructure , to support 'refueling' when needed?

I dont want to 'think' about planning when I charge. I just want to go when I want to go...like we have since the 30s.

ABATTBQ11
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Serious question...how easy is it to recharge these things, away from home?

I mean...Houston to Dallas...I need a recharge...what happens?

Is there adequate infrastructure , to support 'refueling' when needed?

I dont want to 'think' about planning when I charge. I just want to go when I want to go...like we have since the 30s.

There is a fairly well developed supercharger network and they have decent range. You'd get to Houston from DFW, but would probably need to find a charger while there. I believe the vehicles are frequently updated with charger locations though, so they should be easy to find.

The thing is, you may be waiting awhile. I'd plan on stopping to eat while charging or doing it during whatever you're going to Houston for. Just don't take up the charger too long and/or use it as a parking space. Tesla will charge you for the idle time if you're plugged in and other Tesla owners will be pissed. One guy in China had his bumper removed because someone needed the charger and he was using it as a parking space.
aggiedata
AG
I wouldn't worry about charging stations. These things are going to be popping up everywhere...

.. just as soon as they can get the diesel contract worked out.
chimpanzee
How much has the Model S improved in terms of range and/or charge time since it was introduced on an equivalently spec'd model?

I get the impression that not much has changed. With as much cash that investors are still throwing at the effort, you would think that the measurables that people worry about would start to improve and/or the price would come down, but so far so bad.

The Audi E-tron looks like about a wash with a Model S; about the same price, less range, but quicker recharge IIRC. No one else has actually made it all the way to Market, unless you count the Leaf, which to me seems like paying through the nose just to say you have an electric Nissan Versa.
Flaith
AG
hold out another year or so for a Taycan
TMoney2007
AG
chimpanzee said:

unless you count the Leaf, which to me seems like paying through the nose just to say you have an electric Nissan Versa.
Buy one used! The resale on them is terrible.
07ag
AG
https://www.tesla.com/findus?v=2&search=North%20America&bounds=43.307092377736495%2C-75.36092020013416%2C24.564485266229717%2C-117.17488504388416&filters=supercharger%2Cdestination%20charger&zoom=6

superchargers on most main roads, definitely something to be aware of though, before you take off on a road trip. lots of destination chargers also, but they charge much slower than a supercharger
07ag
AG
original top model s had 265 mile range, current top model range 370 miles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Model_S#Specifications
tailgatetimer10
AG
So is that 370 actual miles or similar to the F150 specs saying it gets over 23mpg
agnerd
AG
If you have a second car and live in a warm climate, go for it! Heater kills the range more than AC, and second car eliminates most of the range problem.
suprafly03
AG
As it pertains to chargers I don't see it as being much of an issue.
I have a good friend that drive his from Tyler to Miami without much more consideration than spending 10-15-20 minutes at a fuel station every 250-300ish miles.

That's not dramatically different than my LandCruiser. Crappy gas mileage combined with small gas tank...

There simply aren't enough cars on the road to take all 8ish stalls at the supercharger hub. So he never had to wait in line.
He has little kids as do I, so each stop is going to be 15 minutes anyways.

I bet in California it's a different story. Waiting is likely a norm.

Plus he got free unlimited supercharging with his, so his drive was free.
07ag
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

So is that 370 actual miles or similar to the F150 specs saying it gets over 23mpg
don't know about the model s, but 300+ miles on my model 3 is legit (officially rated at 310)
JSKolache
AG
I'd get it. Looks fun. Flip it if you dont like it.
MTTANK
AG
Tell us more about the 200 series crusier? How long have you had it, do you like it for a daily? Are you just looking at a tesla for fun, or are you unhappy with the crusier? I have a 100 series thats our spare car, and have been thinking about upgrading it to a 200 series. I love the 100 so much that my new f150 rarely gets used.
GIG 'EM
Flashdiaz
AG
Get it if you like it... you'll find plenty of people that don't like it for whatever reason.

I got one and love it every single time I drive it. If I have to go long distance I'll take the other gas car because it's simply easier (definitely doable in a Tesla but not as easy). As stated before I think the one weakness is the paint. Not noticeable to most but I simply like the depth of paint on other cars. That being said I knew that going in and I only think about it when someone else brings it up.

And I like that Tesla 'reinvented' the wheel. Needs to be done every now and then and the car simply makes sense to me. More so than other cars that have existing parts they put new tech in where it looks like new technology was shoe horned in.
AgTech88
AG
07ag said:

https://www.tesla.com/findus?v=2&search=North%20America&bounds=43.307092377736495%2C-75.36092020013416%2C24.564485266229717%2C-117.17488504388416&filters=supercharger%2Cdestination%20charger&zoom=6

superchargers on most main roads, definitely something to be aware of though, before you take off on a road trip. lots of destination chargers also, but they charge much slower than a supercharger
Took a look at that map and was surprised no current Superchargers in San Antonio - shows a couple "coming soon"?
bco2003
AG
rsmithtesiusa said:

07ag said:

Took a look at that map and was surprised no current Superchargers in San Antonio - shows a couple "coming soon"?
Don't think you're looking at the map correctly. I count 11 in San Antonio.
Aggietaco
AG
suprafly03 said:

As it pertains to chargers I don't see it as being much of an issue.
I have a good friend that drive his from Tyler to Miami without much more consideration than spending 10-15-20 minutes at a fuel station every 250-300ish miles.

That's not dramatically different than my LandCruiser. Crappy gas mileage combined with small gas tank...

There simply aren't enough cars on the road to take all 8ish stalls at the supercharger hub. So he never had to wait in line.
He has little kids as do I, so each stop is going to be 15 minutes anyways.

I bet in California it's a different story. Waiting is likely a norm.

Plus he got free unlimited supercharging with his, so his drive was free.
The Tesla trip planning tool says the following for a Tyler to Miami trip with the long range S:
30 min in Monroe
50 min in MS
40 min in Mobile
35 min in FL
30 min in Tallahassee
45 min in FL
25 min in FL
45 min in FL

That's 5 hours of charging added to an 18 hour drive. I'm not saying that's terrible, especially since it's nice to get out on those long trips, but even the shortest charge is more than your 10-15-20 min estimate. Switch to the standard range model and you're adding 2 hours of charge time and detouring to be able to hit the necessary superchargers, extending the 18 hour to a 26.5 hour trip.
AgGrad99
AG

Quote:

That's 5 hours of charging added to an 18 hour drive. I'm not saying that's terrible
I am. That's terrible....
AgGrad99
AG
Besides the actual numbers, it's just not something i want to have to think about.

I just want to go, when I want to go, and dont want to have to consider charge.

Sure I have to get gas, but there are countless options everywhere, and it takes 4 minutes.

out of curiosity, what does it cost to charge at these charging stations?
Corps_Ag12
AG
Right now they have a promotion on S & X models that includes free supercharging for life.
Aggietaco
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Quote:

That's 5 hours of charging added to an 18 hour drive. I'm not saying that's terrible
I am. That's terrible....
The only reason it's tolerable is that you're likely splitting an 18 hour drive over 2 days, so you're going to cut out 1-2 hours of that charge time.

Even with a gas vehicle, most people are going to stop somewhere and do something other than sit in a car for 15-20 minutes every 3 hours.
drumboy
AG
Can I pound a few beers while waiting for the charge and then let autopilot handle the diving while I take a nap?
BigO93
AG
Resale is an issue if that is important to you. I had a buddy drive one for 5 years or so then go back to Tesla to trade in for a new one. Basically worthless because of the battery life. They need to be replaced after a certain period. I'm no expert but I'd check into so you have the facts before you buy one.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.