Question for Those that Own a Diesel Pickup

5,592 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by fern9230
Texasclipper
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Why is it so often I see diesel trucks filling up without shutting off their engine? Its not like a diesel light duty truck is difficult to start. It happened just today with a guy filling up a POS 15 year old Dodge with a Cummins. Not real pleasant having to breath the fumes while he filled his 30 gallon tank. Just wondering.
Aggiemike96
AG
Texasclipper said:

breath the fumes

You're referring to the sweet smell of diesel exhaust?
Texasclipper
AG
Aggiemike96 said:

Texasclipper said:

breath the fumes

You're referring to the sweet smell of diesel exhaust?
Yes, I believe I am!
Justified
Nobody wants to get into a hot truck
Picard
AG
You don't mess with a Dodge that's actually running. Restarting it could lead to a drive shaft failure or a fire.

Ciboag96
Picard said:

You don't mess with a Dodge that's actually running. Restarting it could lead to a drive shaft failure or a fire.

aTm2004
AG
Because the diesel engine is emitting pheromones that make your wife want a real man.
Tim Weaver
Diesel engines have no risk of starting a fire at a fuel pump. If the motor is running it is doing so by squeezing hydrocarbons until they explode.

Unlike your dangerous gas engine with it's electric starter which throws off so much ozone and sparks that a gasoline-vapor fueled mega-explosion is possible at any time.

Plus rattly diesels sound cool.
hunterjr81
I don't shut off my gas powered truck at the pump. Why bother? Keep the truck cool.
clarythedrill
This doesn't apply to the vehicle you described, but for my Duramax, if the vehicle is going through regeneration and you turn it off too many times which interrupts the regen process, it makes you continue to drive until regen is over. So, when I am in regen, I let it idle instead of turning off when only stopping for a moment.

But, I have DPF so you pretty much don't smell anything anyway.
AgNColorado
That sweet smell of diesel exhaust gets me going every morning
schmendeler
AG
Because big trucks do it.
Dr. Doctor
AG
Be sure to tell refineries that diesel won't burn from hot surfaces.

I'm sure they could save a ton of money on safety stuff and not having to install it.

You could make a mint by being a consultant and tell them that.

~egon
JosephMarcus
IDAGG
AG
schmendeler said:

Twucks. And this is exactly why. Same with running lights on top of pickups. Big twucks have them.
chickencoupe16
AG
Because it is not dangerous and the ac/heater doesn't run if it's off.
Centerpole90
AG
They teach you that at diesel pickup school. Start it in the morning and kill it when you get home at night.
milkman00
AG
Texasclipper said:

a POS 15 year old Dodge with a Cummins.

You lack of diesel knowledge is evident.

That POS is one of the best year models Dodge made. Many of them are selling for half price of new despite 200k on them.

Were you at a place that sells diesel at every pump? If not, try using a pump further from the diesel pumps so I don't have to wait for one of the two bays that sell diesel while you fill up your gas vehicle, when plenty of other gas only pumps are available.

Thanks.

CanyonAg77
AG
It's tough on the turbo if you kill a turboed engine without a cooldown period.
AgTech88
AG
If you are seeing this behavior in Baytown, Pasa-git down- dina, etc. the driver probably works in one of refineries/Chem Plants where they have been trained that diesel engines are safer than gas engines in areas with the potential for flammable vapors. Or they could just be lazy and want to keep the truck nice and cool.....

I will say it is a little spooky to watch a diesel engine suck in flammable vapors and start to "run away" and you cant shut it off......
TMoney2007
AG
IDAGG said:

schmendeler said:

Twucks. And this is exactly why. Same with running lights on top of pickups. Big twucks have them.
There's a certain vehicle width where DOT requires those lights. It's why the Raptor has them stock as well as some of the other HD trucks.

I'm sure they get added too though.
ccolley68
AG
TMoney2007 said:

IDAGG said:

schmendeler said:

There's a certain vehicle width where DOT requires those lights. It's why the Raptor has them stock as well as some of the other HD trucks.

I'm sure they get added too though.

80"+ width it's required. Which is why most 1/2 ton - 1 ton SRW trucks are right at the edge of that limit. Dually's it's required because the wheel wells in the back stick out. Raptors are 86.3" wide, which is why they have to have them, but they are more subtle than the HD trucks. Since they have to put them on the dually's, the truck cabs can all be outfitted, and some just choose to get them. My wife hates all the lights, so we opt out.
jbennett13
AG
I'll offer a little bit more of an actual scientific/engineering answer...

Diesel engines actually vibrate much more and much more violently upon the startup of the engine as compared to gasoline engines, thus the actual reason to keep the diesel running is to reduce the number of times to start the engine to minimize this vibrational damage.

The flip side is that since diesel engines are much heavier they handle the vibrations during idle much better than the lighter gasoline engines.

The requirement of DPF/SCR/EGR in the modern diesel engines does provide a counter argument to the diesel idle as you will clog the DPF more regularly creating additional exhaust back pressure more often until regen is complete.
DeWrecking Crew
I do it to keep my turbo cool if I've been running it hard
Naveronski
AG
Centerpole90 said:

They teach you that at diesel pickup school. Start it in the morning and kill it when you get home at night.

You laugh, but when I drove a dodge diesel service truck for septic work, that's what I did.

Start it when I leave in the morning, and it'll run or idle until I get back.
Texasclipper
AG
milkman00 said:

Texasclipper said:

a POS 15 year old Dodge with a Cummins.

You lack of diesel knowledge is evident.

That POS is one of the best year models Dodge made. Many of them are selling for half price of new despite 200k on them.

Were you at a place that sells diesel at every pump? If not, try using a pump further from the diesel pumps so I don't have to wait for one of the two bays that sell diesel while you fill up your gas vehicle, when plenty of other gas only pumps are available.

Thanks.

Yes, i admit that. The only diesel i use regularly is a 1969 International diesel tractor. I ocasionally fill it up at a nearby gas station and and always shut it off.

I experienced this latest incident at a WalMart gas station and i was across from from the dude and not blocking a diesel pump with my lowly gasser.
>
So the answers I have gleaned from this are:

- cuz we can and there no danger of explosion of fuel vapors unlike you gassers
- Twucks, cuz the big boys do it we should to
- preserve the turbo bearings
- keep the A/C on
will.mcg
AG
Or cause my starter is out, I'm not parked on a hill, & I'll replace it when I get around to it.
ccolley68
AG
I mainly just do it because I can. If you weren't 'requested' to shut your gas engine off at the pump, would you still do it? Keeps the A/C cool in summer time, I don't have to worry about the kids in there when they are with me, etc.
Agmechanic
AG
I never shut my gas truck off at the pumps in the Summer.
a gmechanic 01@gma i l (no spaces)
DallasAggies01
AG
I rarely shut my gas vehicles at the pump either. After living in Chicago for almost 7 years you learn that continuous heat is just as good as A/C in a Houston summer.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
The irony being you can leave it running while filling up but have turn it off so you can hear at the drive-thru.
scd88
AG
It just smells really good. That's all.
Centerpole90
AG
Emotional Support Cobra said:

The irony being you can leave it running while filling up but have turn it off so you can hear at the drive-thru.

I just did both. That just happened.
JB
AG
#7.3life
02CobraC
AG
7.3 fo eva!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.