Tar on rags

1,506 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
htxag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, my wife managed to drive through some tar this week. I got it all off the car when I washed it today. However, in my anger, frustration, the heat of houston, etc. I wasn't completely thinking and used my meguir wash mits. Now 3 of them are completely black with tar.

Am I good to throw these in the washing machine? Are they just trash? Any other ways to get the tar out?
EMY92
AG
Buy new wash mitts.
Cromagnum
AG
Sure, it you also want a new washing machine.
htxag09
AG
What I figured. Just making sure
MouthBQ98
AG
Solvents that would remove tar are pretty harsh to many synthetic fibers.
Aggiemike96
AG
htxag09 said:

So, my wife managed to drive through some tar this week. I got it all off the car when I washed it today. However, in my anger, frustration, the heat of houston, etc. I wasn't completely thinking and used my meguir wash mits. Now 3 of them are completely black with tar.

Am I good to throw these in the washing machine? Are they just trash? Any other ways to get the tar out?
I'm so confused about what is going on here. Your wife was out of the kitchen; you wash/detail her car when she drives through tar; you do the laundry.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Chunk them and get these:

Chemical Guys MIC_493 Chenille Microfiber Premium Scratch-Free Wash Mitt

These are pretty much all I use now, rinseless or traditional.

For future issues like this, pick up a pack of these cheezy towels at Home Depot or Walmart:

14 in. x 14 in. Microfiber Towels (24-Pack)

They are about 34 cents a piece and while they aren't what you want to dry your car off with regularly, using them to get gunk like this off and tossing them isn't a problem. I now buy these instead of the disposable shop towels.
chevy con queso
AG
Soak in kerosene. It is what I use to get asphalt bitumen out of my clothes and off of my equipment. It's not harsh and works.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Spray and Wash will get the tar off.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.