2018 F150 Adaptive Cruise Problem

2,570 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by JosephMarcus
TexAgBolter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So last weekend I hit a relatively small piece of tire tread that was kicked up by the idiot in front of me on I45. It ended up knocking my front license plate bracket off and shortly there after my adaptive cruise started acting up.

Once I arrived at my destination I took a close look at my front bumper. No damage besides the missing license plate bracket (if you are familiar with the plate bracket in question you know that it doesn't take much to knock it loose).

Anyways when I turn off my truck and then turn it back on I instantly get warnings about adaptive cruise being disabled and pre collision assistance being disabled.

Fast forward to my visit with Gullo Ford service yesterday. They say I need to take it to the body shop to get a whole new front bumper because the bracket the radar is mounted on is bent.

Anyone have any experience with this? It sounds crazy to me that I need to get a whole new front bumper for a misaligned radar unit while there is no obvious damage to the bumper itself.
DeWrecking Crew
Yes, that does sound crazy...if the sensor itself is fine, just bend the bracket back
Agmechanic
AG
Just keep bending and test driving till the warnings go away.
a gmechanic 01@gma i l (no spaces)
Waltonloads08
AG
I like how someone ahead of you that ran over something already in the road is an "idiot". Maybe he couldn't swerve in time bro?

That said, anyone that drives faster than me is a maniac, and anyone who drives slower is an idiot.
sts7049
AG
get them to show you what is bent...then bend it back yourself
TexAgBolter
AG
Well I went to meet with the service guy this morning and the manager took me out to show me exactly what the issue was. He agreed that a whole new bumper was extreme. He is going to have his techs bend it back and make a claim with ford for any labor/parts costs.
RCR06
AG
Should still be under warranty so I'd have a dealership fix it whether that be fixing it or replacing it.
htxag09
AG
RCR06 said:

Should still be under warranty so I'd have a dealership fix it whether that be fixing it or replacing it.

Warranties don't cover accidents, hitting objects on the road, etc. If they make a claim and all is good, it's a favor and good will.
TexAgBolter
AG
So I heard back from Gullo today. Ford is not going to cover it after all. Needs a new sensor which they said costs over $800, but they would "only" charge me $500 for a new sensor plus $200 labor. Oh, and no guarantee that it will even work when all is said and done. Lovely.

03_Aggie
Their shipping prices can get bad but:

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-distance-sensor-h1bz9e731ae?origin=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvo-7i6XM4wIV5JJbCh3WMAybEAQYASABEgL64fD_BwE
TexAgBolter
AG
Yeah. My BS sensor went off when he gave me the $800 but we are willing to help and get it for $500 line.

I actually just called Ford corporate and opened a case with them. I've had more drama with this damn truck. I don't think I ever posted about my first oil change....
drewser95
AG
TexAgBolter said:

Yeah. My BS sensor went off when he gave me the $800 but we are willing to help and get it for $500 line.
Well at least that sensor is working.
JSKolache
AG
This is why i have zero interest in gizmos that drive for me
Dr. Doctor
AG
TexAgBolter said:

I actually just called Ford corporate and opened a case with them. I've had more drama with this damn truck. I don't think I ever posted about my first oil change....
TexAgBolter
AG
Long story on the oil change, but I'll try to make it short. Basically they didn't seat/close the oil fill cap which is pretty much right in the middle of the top of the 3.0 diesel. When they started it up it caused a real nice fountain of oil all over my pretty much brand new engine compartment. My truck was in the shop getting oil cleaned from every crevice of the engine, skid plate, frame for over a week. Fun stuff.
thann07
AG
The biggest problem with adaptive cruise is that it doesn't let you get close enough to the person in front of you...there's always enough space for someone to jump in and slow you down even more.

I'm not sure it's going to be necessary on the next truck, but the collision warning is very helpful.
Kenneth_2003
AG
thann07 said:

The biggest problem with adaptive cruise is that it doesn't let you get close enough to the person in front of you...there's always enough space for someone to jump in and slow you down even more.

I'm not sure it's going to be necessary on the next truck, but the collision warning is very helpful.
Ran into that on some rental I had a while back. Set the cruise on I-10 and within 5 minutes I was the slowest MF on the highway. Realized what was going on, and fiddled with it, but couldn't get it to let me close enough to anything. Finally said F-it and drove to Laredo w/o cruise control. Gladly dumped that car at the Laredo airport Enterprise. "BTW it's half a tank low. Picked it up that way. Your problem now bud!"
fooz
I leave my adaptive cruise off 90% of the time.
JosephMarcus
TexAgBolter said:

Long story on the oil change, but I'll try to make it short. Basically they didn't seat/close the oil fill cap which is pretty much right in the middle of the top of the 3.0 diesel. When they started it up it caused a real nice fountain of oil all over my pretty much brand new engine compartment. My truck was in the shop getting oil cleaned from every crevice of the engine, skid plate, frame for over a week. Fun stuff.
welp. another reason I don't let the dealer touch my trucks.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.