Anybody else waiting for the C8 reveal tonight?

11,034 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by agracer
mts6175
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JSKolache said:

Pushrod V8 in 2020, so bold. 470lb ft out of 6.2L is laughable. Flipside is they can keep the cost down becuase the engine is dinky compared to high strung euros.
It's all fun and games until they slap a turbo on it......
JosephMarcus
JSKolache said:

Pushrod V8 in 2020, so bold. 470lb ft out of 6.2L is laughable. Flipside is they can keep the cost down becuase the engine is dinky compared to high strung euros.

Is that all the Lbft it has? Seems like the top line camaro had a supercharged big v8 or something. Does this C8 have a package with a more powerful engine?
Yesterday
AG
JosephMarcus said:

JSKolache said:

Is that all the Lbft it has? Seems like the top line camaro had a supercharged big v8 or something. Does this C8 have a package with a more powerful engine?

It will. Zo6 and ZR1
mts6175
AG
JosephMarcus said:

JSKolache said:

You're going to have the same line of packages on the C8 that you do on the C7. There will be a Z06 equivalent released, a ZR1 equivalent released, etc. Just not on day 1. It's always been that way with the Corvette.
CharlieBrown17
AG
JSKolache said:

Dinky with comparable or better performance specs than cars twice the price
JosephMarcus
mts6175 said:

JosephMarcus said:

JSKolache said:

You're going to have the same line of packages on the C8 that you do on the C7. There will be a Z06 equivalent released, a ZR1 equivalent released, etc. Just not on day 1. It's always been that way with the Corvette.
gotcha. I don't know anything about Corvettes so thanks for the info. I don't own a car and haven't owned one in a longggg time, but this new c8 looks freaking awesome!
Burdizzo
AG
Buck Turgidson
How bad ass would a Fiero with 500 hp be?
Duncan Idaho
The hybrid version is going to be something else.
AggieDruggist89
AG
I would totally buy a used one in 4 years for $40,000. 2 sets of golf clubs in the trunk.
cbr
AG
mts6175 said:

JSKolache said:

lol, pushrod ls/lt platform happens to be the industry standard for practical efficient reliable horsepower worldwide.

i love me some 4 oh valve goodness, but honestly its a liability overall.

cbr
AG
TMoney2007 said:

aggieforester05 said:

agracer said:

aggieforester05 said:

PMD03 said:

Love it! It looks so much better to me than the C7.

I don't lament the loss of the manual. I found on my C6 that on a twisty road I would just usually leave it in third gear and not have to shift anyways. It's not like we are dealing with small motors that have to be kept on the boil.

Ferraris and Lamborghinis lost them, now the GT 500 and Corvette has lost them. Once they're gone, they're gone forever. Before long the only way to get a manual will be in severely underpowered vehicles like a BRZ or Miata or buy an old car. That's not a good thing. We have to raise hell everytime they nix a manual option or there won't be any left. This is unacceptable. Automatic is fine as long as there is a manual option. Automatics just are not as much fun to drive and never will be.

The manuals are gone because people don't buy them. The Ferrari 355 introduced the "F1" transmission and almost half were sold wirhbkney. The next model, 360was more like 75% were spec'd new with an F1. F430 was 95% F1. Everyone wants to complain about no manuals but they're just not selling.

Fortunately my fun car is a rare one and has a manual.

Those same cars you mentioned are much more valuable now with a manual than automatic counterparts. Probably the best example is the 599 GTO. Part of the problem is marketing that focuses on test track numbers and not driving experience. That and most people who can drive a stick only did so a few times in a friend's car. They don't really know how to drive them effectively. My point is that just brushing it off and saying "who cares, they're outdated" will leave us with less choices. A future with no stick shift performance cars is a dreadful thought. The cars they will make will be almost impossible to swap due to the electronic integration of the powertrain. We need to make sure they understand this is unacceptable. Driving an automatic Corvette is about a satisfying as a strip tease.
Bad news... they've been there for a long time. With 500-750hp engines commonplace, what swaps are you going to do? It doesn't make any sense to hold back the advancements of entire platforms to cater to the 0.01% of people who actually swap engines. All the performance benefits come from tightly integrated systems throughout the vehicle. I enjoy driving a stick shift, but the whole "we have to fight" and "we have to make them understand that this is unacceptable" thing is pretty laughable.

They're not in the business of making an infinitesimal portion of the public (who probably buys their cars used so they can tinker with them) happy. They're in the business of selling cars. A future without stick shift cars is like a present with buggy whips or bias ply tires,...

People swapping engines now end up using standalone ECU's that completely replace the factory systems.
honestly i may buy a c8, its an oversized and overweight, but pretty nice looking piece mechanically. but due to the bull**** electronics, its a disposable piece of *****

if someone else cracks the DCT module into a stand alone harness and module, i will probably buy one used and rewire it with proper switches, gauges, ECM and ABS instead of their absurd bull**** GM Global B architecture fraud.

'03ag
cbr said:

mts6175 said:

JSKolache said:

lol, pushrod ls/lt platform happens to be the industry standard for practical efficient reliable horsepower worldwide.

i love me some 4 oh valve goodness, but honestly its a liability overall.

It's pretty crazy when you think about it. I like high revving engines too, but damn, we're way past that stuff now. 500hp super car starting at $60k that doesn't cost a fortune to maintain ... I'm not going to gripe about how many liters they used to get me there.

Seems like fodder for a Col. Jessup rant. "I'd rather you just said thank you, and be on your way"
aggieforester05
AG
Destroke that LS to about 3.0" with a flat plane crank and a good flowing set of heads and manifold so we can spin it to 8,600 for the track focused Z06 model and then we really have a cheap Ferrari. That might get me to somewhat overlook their lack of diversity in the transmission department.
'03ag
Detailed Pricing Revealed

And it's an even crazier bargain that we thought. the starting price of $59,995 is AFTER destination fee. Z51 package is $5k.

So a Z51 with 2LT(most all the creature comforts/tech), nose lift system, and magnetic ride is still going to be under $76k. Ridiculous.
AggieDruggist89
AG
When will it be available?
'03ag
Supposedly in showrooms by the end of the year. I suspect there will be a shortage of supply early on.
AggieDruggist89
AG
I expect to buy a 2022 C8 in 2024 for about $35k to $40k. Never in a hurry for these sort of things...

Let GM work out the kinks in the car and let those impetuous suckers take the depreciation.
agracer
AG
Saw it in person this weekend. Gotta admit i was extremely underwhelmed. Lots of sharp angles and wedges.
tailgatetimer10
AG
Yep. It might be enough for me to trade up my C6z
'03ag
Isn't that always the case with the Vette? I was less underwhelmed than I usually am. And the interior is pretty legit IMO.
agracer
AG
'03ag said:

Isn't that always the case with the Vette? I was less underwhelmed than I usually am. And the interior is pretty legit IMO.

I thought it looked great in the photos, but the car just looked like lots of sharp angle...like, the 70's and 80's called and they want their car design back. All it really needed was pop up headlights to complete the effect. Back end seemed really long as well.

It was a steel blue color so that may have contributed. Really just didn't care for it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.