F250 vs F150

6,858 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by drummer0415
oldag941
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Currently have the FX4 Lariat 2011 F250 Crew Cab. Looking to replace it. Looks like the F150 and F250 now share a cab, so space is equitable. We have a bumper pull trailer that we take to A&M for football and use it another 3-4 times per year (pull to state parks, Arkansas, etc). I want an F250 but considering the F150 too. Thoughts on this?
EMY92
AG
What does the trailer weigh?
oldag941
AG
Approx 9,000#, unloaded
EMY92
AG
Add things into the trailer, plus people in the truck and you're exceeding the F150 range.
lawless89
Going through this same thing right now. Ultimately, it came down to price. Three big things for me...

1. F250 is about $10k more (platinum)
2. F-150 offers 0% for 72 while f250 is closer to 6%.
3. F250 won't fit in my garage height wise.

So I'm going to be ordering a F-150 platinum with the 6.5ft bed and tow mirrors soon. Will be leveled out with more aggressive tires and does everything any more that I want. And for much cheaper. And still looks BA.
'03ag
Well I mean an F150 isnt a real truck so . . .
TMoney2007
AG
If you don't need the payload/towing capacity of the 250, then I wouldn't get one.
oldag941
AG
I stand corrected. Here is the weight spec:

Dry Weight
6,925 lbs.
GVWR
9,760 lbs.
Hitch Weight
960 lbs.
oldag941
AG
I typically hold onto trucks 8-10 years. And intend on pulling a trailer to Colorado or yellowstone in that timeframe. I'm assuming the F150 would limit us from upgrading to a 5th wheel trailer right?
Woods Ag
AG
How about the f150 diesel?
oldag941
AG
For some reason the Ford site shows less towing capacity with that engine than with the Ecoboost. Lower torque and HP too. There are not a lot of these around. I wonder if I'm missing something.
TMoney2007
AG
oldag941 said:

I typically hold onto trucks 8-10 years. And intend on pulling a trailer to Colorado or yellowstone in that timeframe. I'm assuming the F150 would limit us from upgrading to a 5th wheel trailer right?

I wouldn't want to tow a 5th wheel with an F150...
CATAGBQ04
AG
Yup...the diesel isn't made for heavy towing, more of a highway mileage queen.

Look at an Ecoboost with max tow package, should be fine.

Gasser F250 2wd?
Bob_Ag
AG
oldag941 said:

I stand corrected. Here is the weight spec:

Dry Weight
6,925 lbs.
GVWR
9,760 lbs.
Hitch Weight
960 lbs.
The bigger issue is going to be your payload capacity. Especially at the higher trim levels. At a hitch weight of 960, then add people, pets, coolers, gear, etc. its not hard to hit your payload capacity pretty quick in a half ton.

With the right configuration, I think it would be fine. I would pick the ecoboost unless you're fine revving the motor with the 5.0. I tow a slightly smaller bumper pull with my F150 and 5.0 and it does fine, but you need to be in the right RPMs to have power. It does not like to lug below 2500 RPMs. I also added rear leaf springs to mine and it barely squats even without the weight distributing hitch.
jbeaman88
AG
I'm with Catag on the F250 gasser comment. If you can wait until early next year, get a new 7.3. Even if a max tow F150 is rated to tow near 13k, I would still lean to the 3/4 ton for the less stressful towing experience. I would just make sure it has at least 2000 lbs of payload rating for that trailer and even more for a fifth wheel in that ballpark.
DeWrecking Crew
Coming from a 250, you're going to notice a difference in how it pulls with the 150. If you're actually using it 10 times per year, and for distances that far I'd stick with the 250 (assuming budget isn't the #1 consideration), especially if you're thinking about going to a fifth wheel.
fooz
3.5 w/ max tow package would do fine.
03_Aggie
I'd rather learn later that I bought too much instead of not enough.
Corps_Ag12
AG
If the F250 is paid off keep it and get an F150 to DD.
Agmechanic
AG
I have a 2017 f150 and love it. The only problem towing is the CURB weight of the truck. We tow rangers and 4wheelers all the time with no problem, but anything other than a small travel trailer is going to push you all over the road. We towed an airstream with an 87 chevrolet suburban growing up and it was fine because that burban probably weighed 8,000 pounds. (No idea really). Towing that same trailer with my f150 would probably get a little squirrelly at times.

https://rvtowcheck.com/
a gmechanic 01@gma i l (no spaces)
Agmechanic
AG
I misspoke:

87 burb=5,900 lbs
17 f150=~5,500 lbs
a gmechanic 01@gma i l (no spaces)
JB
AG
F150 - plenty of extra money in your pocket and a much more comfortable daily driver. Get the right WD hitch, maybe some air bags and pull it all over.
JSKolache
AG
I tow a trailer 1 week a year, not at all interested in a 3/4 truck for my limited use.
Leeman
Neither has a LS motor.
RCR06
AG
9k camper seems a little too close to max towing capacity for me for an f-150.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Corps_Ag12 said:

If the F250 is paid off keep it and get an F150 to DD.

1ags approved answer
oldag941
AG
Thanks all! Unfortunately I can't hold onto the one truck and buy another. I need to use the equity on the new truck. As we are eyeing a 5th wheel in the next few years, I'll probably do the 250 to avoid any near or long term challenges with towing. Plus once you pull with the 250, it will be difficult to pull with a 150 (from a feel, power and ease perspective). I pulled the trailer 8,000 miles with this truck in 8 years. I anticipate more with the next.
milkman00
AG
At what point do you buy a 350 SRW instead of a 250 if you are buying a fifth wheel later? Depending on the trailer weight, it might be useful.

Was looking at a Ram SRW though that had a gvwr of 12300. Add in 14k lbs for a trailer and it seems you would need a class A license though. Not sure why they get to that number. Not sure about Fords.
CATAGBQ04
AG
CDL not needed for travel trailers.
jbeaman88
AG
CATAGBQ04 said:

CDL not needed for travel trailers.
He said Class A, not CDL. In Texas there is a Class A non-CDL as well as CDL.
oldag941
AG
Well, I bought the F250 Lariat. Got it for $12k under MSRP. Just drug the 32' travel trailer to Hot Springs and loved the ride. 9mpg at 75mph on cruise. It'll serve me well and give me the option of upgrading to a 5th wheel if I choose (or the wife)-
ccolley68
AG
oldag941 said:

Well, I bought the F250 Lariat. Got it for $12k under MSRP. Just drug the 32' travel trailer to Hot Springs and loved the ride. 9mpg at 75mph on cruise. It'll serve me well and give me the option of upgrading to a 5th wheel if I choose (or the wife)-

Upgrade the wife before the upgrade to 5th wheel
oldag941
AG
I re-read what I wrote. An upgrade of the wife is not on the table. But her choice in the upgrade to 5th wheel or us upgrading her ride is.

I pulled the trailer this last week to Arkansas and back for a short vacation. 600 miles, mostly interstate. Great pull with the new 250. The suspension seems to handle the 32' and 8,000# better than the '08 F250. It doesn't "squat" near as much. Only got 9mpg but had cruise on 75 mph the whole way.
FunnyFarm14
AG
New trucks do seem to squat less. I pull a 30' gooseneck horse trailer with a F-250. Install a set of air-ride suspension (Firestone Ride-Rite or Air-Lift brand) and that will negate all the squat, as well as keeping the bounce felt from trailer down to a minimum--Also keeps the headlights pointed at the road and not the tree tops.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
Good choice, the ecoboost, while pulls the weight with ease, would have been 4 miles to gallon. I know from experience, damn near ran out of gas due to poor planning.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.