Small and Mid Sized SUV shopping

8,232 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AgsWin2011
bullard21k
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
New car shopping and think we are leaning towards Acura as she has a TSX and been pleased. 3rd row of seats we won't use if it's an option but would like the extra space for sure.

Options we will test drive:
Acura MDX
Ford Explorer
Lexus RX330
QX50/QX60
She likes the 19' RDX and has been test driving it last few days.

Any others suggestions? Honda/Toyota intrigues me but I'm wondering if they have enough of a "luxury" type feel that a Lexus or others might. Feel like the board in past has mentioned they are a little bland.
aggie_wes
AG
MDX or RDX
AggieDruggist89
AG
Sigh...

Obligatory..

/minivan
Aggietaco
AG
The Mazda CX-5/9 offerings are great vehicles. Both are available in trims with a lot of bells and whistles.
Woods Ag
AG
Grand Cherokee is what we went with test driving the same cars. 5.7 Hemi so the wife can let off some steam, air suspension, it's a nice ride
Complete Idiot
You've got to put Mercury on your list.
sts7049
AG
not a traverse
drumboy
AG
Q50/Q60 are cars so I guess you mean QX50/QX60. I've driven the QX60s as loaners and they did get more power in the last couple years but the design is still very dated.
Ag 11
AG
Jeep Gladiator
bullard21k
AG
drumboy said:

Q50/Q60 are cars so I guess you mean QX50/QX60. I've driven the QX60s as loaners and they did get more power in the last couple years but the design is still very dated.

Yes QX series you are correct. We've never driven an infinity so we're more curious. Dated in what way?
bullard21k
AG
Woods Ag said:

Grand Cherokee is what we went with test driving the same cars. 5.7 Hemi so the wife can let off some steam, air suspension, it's a nice ride

We were considering those as well. Didn't jeep notoriously have a reputation of those vehicles alwats having issues and in the shop or am I thinking of something else?
drumboy
AG
bullard21k said:

drumboy said:

Yes QX series you are correct. We've never driven an infinity so we're more curious. Dated in what way?
The outside still looks like the old JX35 from 8 or so years ago.
lawless89
The new 2020 explorers look sweeet. Going to try and convince the wife she likes these better than the XC90
Woods Ag
AG
Jeep in general have a bad reputation for quality. Idk if that's still justified or not. Ours has been amazing and we have a lifetime warranty that covers everything but maintenance items. It's not transferable and their out is at any point in the future they can decide to write me a check for the value of the car and they're out.
dallasiteinsa02
I have had 3 Jeep Grand Cherokees and 1 Cherokee. They will either go 300,000 miles or 30,000. We figured out that you want to buy used and inspect the hell out of it.
DeWrecking Crew
Throw the Lincoln Aviator on the list
Cibalo
We have the RX350 and have been happy with it. only thing we don't like is there is no damn sunglass holder. they do come in a 3rd row option now that might give you more cargo room. No problems to speak of and going on 4 years of ownership. The newer models look good too if that is a concern. We also liked that you could put in 87 oct gas. The MDX required midgrade.
bullard21k
AG
DeWrecking Crew said:

Throw the Lincoln Aviator on the list

Yes I was going to ask about Lincoln or Cadillac
bullard21k
AG
Cibalo said:

We have the RX350 and have been happy with it. only thing we don't like is there is no damn sunglass holder. they do come in a 3rd row option now that might give you more cargo room. No problems to speak of and going on 4 years of ownership. The newer models look good too if that is a concern. We also liked that you could put in 87 oct gas. The MDX required midgrade.

My mother has gone through multiple rx350 and been happy. She didn't like the new grills so went with audi this time.

Didn't realize that about mdx that's good to know about mid grade
moore42
AG
Based on the other thread and the ones ive seen on the road, Kia Telluride would be on the short list.
DeWrecking Crew
moore42 said:

Based on the other thread and the ones ive seen on the road, Kia Telluride would be on the short list.

Agreed, the Telluride will surprise you. I think it's poised to take significant market share, especially for those folks that are "biggest bang for the buck" type shoppers
Strongwind86
AG
We picked up a 2019 Lincoln Nautilus for the Mrs. a few months back. It replaced a 2010 Ford Edge that we purchased new. The new Lincolns are much different than their Ford counterparts. The design is different not just changing leather and chrome on the interior and adding a fancy grill like on previous models. Console, controls, interface are all unique to Lincoln. We were originally considering another Edge but after looking at the Lincoln Nautilus my wife wanted nothing to do with the Edge. I'll have to admit the Nautilus is smooth and quiet. Very comfortable for 4 adults or two adults and 3 kids. Awesome road trip car. Worth considering if you're in the market for a 4 door 5 seat (no third seat) SUV.

(Obligatory Alright Alright Alright..for the Lincoln commercials with Matthew McConaughey.)
bullard21k
AG
Does everyone think Texas direct auto in sugar land would be the easiest and most hassle free way to test drive multiple cars?
DeWrecking Crew
Hassle-free is probably the wrong adjective, but yes, they usually have a fairly good selection of upper-end vehicles. Just be aware, they aren't going to have any of the newer stuff like the Lincoln Aviator, Kia Telluride, etc...
bullard21k
AG
DeWrecking Crew said:

Hassle-free is probably the wrong adjective, but yes, they usually have a fairly good selection of upper-end vehicles. Just be aware, they aren't going to have any of the newer stuff like the Lincoln Aviator, Kia Telluride, etc...

Okay thanks. I was under the impression you could select the cars you wanted to test drive and never have to talk to a salesman
bullard21k
AG
Who were the posters on this board that owned dealerships?

Any aggie owned Acura dealers?
AgLiving06
Are any of the models due for a refresh in 2020?
Cassius
The fact that you don't have Volvo XC60 and XC90 on there tells me you didn't do your research...
Woods Ag
AG
Another euro car that will cost me a fortune after it's out of warranty and isnt as prestigious as a Mercedes, BMW, or Audi.. sign me up

I forgot, they are safe. if you drive like an ******* and slam someone the you'll probably walk out alive.
AggieKatie2
AG
RDX or Aviator

MDX once they refresh the interior
Cassius
Woods Ag said:

Another euro car that will cost me a fortune after it's out of warranty and isnt as prestigious as a Mercedes, BMW, or Audi.. sign me up

I forgot, they are safe. if you drive like an ******* and slam someone the you'll probably walk out alive.

Please don't mention BMW in the same sentence as the others; they are garbage.

As far as average cost of maintenance, it's about $200 more per year for Volvo than an Acura over a 10 year period. BMW is about $1000 per year more.
Dr. Nefario
Cassius said:

Woods Ag said:

Please don't mention BMX in the same sentence as the others; they are garbage.

As far as average cost of maintenance, it's about $200 more per year for Volvo than an Acura over a 10 year period. BMX is about $1000 per year more.

I seriously doubt maintenance costs are that high on a bicycle.
YouBet
AG
The QX50 has been redesigned and looks sharp. The Lincoln's look nice as well.
Woods Ag
AG
I'm just having fun and talking ***** I'm in love euro luxury cars, but I'm too cheap to ever buy one for myself.
bullard21k
AG
Toyota Highlander - the new 2020 model comes out in December and the hybrid in February.

In general when a new model comes out will dealerships typically not make many deals on brand new models?

If we like the 2019 highlander and want to get the best deal - would it be better to wait until right before the 2020 new models come out and dealerships are just looking to dump inventory?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.