Sell/Trade In

1,544 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BourbonAg
380Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking to sell/trade in 2011 F150 in order to purchase new vehicle.
I know I should be able to get more money selling but I don't really want to deal with the hassle.

Has anybody used Carvana buying service or givemethevin? Or anything similar?

How much of a hit should I expect when trading in?

Thanks
87IE
AG
Stop by a Carmax and get a written offer for your truck and use that as a starting point.

Give me the vin was extremely low on my truck. Part of that is probably the "accident" damage that was an extensive hail repair. Carmax beat them by around 2k (although I showed them the paperwork for the dealer's body shop).

HouseDivided06
AG
Here is what I did for myself in April and what I helped my mom with when she got a new car recently. First went to Carmax and got and offer. Went back to the office and entered in my info into givemethevin.com. They sent me an offer which was super low, and I responded thanks but I have a better offer from Carmax. They asked for a copy, some pictures of my car, some other details, etc, and then within an hour I had an offer from them that was $500 more than Carmax. THEN I went to the dealership to get my truck and had them appraise my car. They came in at the Carmax offer, and I told them I had a better offer from Givemethevin and wanted them to beat it by $1,000. They didn't, but they did give me $500 more than givemethevin. The trick is do not start this process until you are ready to buy because your Carmax and givemethevin offers will only be good for a handful of days. But this way you maximize your offer and get the tax savings for trading your car in.
DeWrecking Crew
HouseDivided06 said:

Here is what I did for myself in April and what I helped my mom with when she got a new car recently. First went to Carmax and got and offer. Went back to the office and entered in my info into givemethevin.com. They sent me an offer which was super low, and I responded thanks but I have a better offer from Carmax. They asked for a copy, some pictures of my car, some other details, etc, and then within an hour I had an offer from them that was $500 more than Carmax. THEN I went to the dealership to get my truck and had them appraise my car. They came in at the Carmax offer, and I told them I had a better offer from Givemethevin and wanted them to beat it by $1,000. They didn't, but they did give me $500 more than givemethevin. The trick is do not start this process until you are ready to buy because your Carmax and givemethevin offers will only be good for a handful of days. But this way you maximize your offer and get the tax savings for trading your car in.

This x 1000, you also do this on pricing for the new vehicle, but reverse. Contact several dealerships online through the Internet Sales Manager, tell them what you want and that you're shopping it around so they'll want to be competitive. Take the lowest written email offer you get in with you to the dealership of your choice (preferably a high volume dealer). Tell them you want them to beat the trade-in price and you want them to beat the new vehicle price. Be prepared to go to a few dealerships.
fooz
I just traded in my 2011 F150 Lariat EcoBoost RWD w/ 122k miles on it.

It had several scratches, dent io the bumper, interment A/C issues and the slip yoke bump problem. They offered 10.5k and I took it in a heartbeat.

eta: I had planned on getting an offer from carmax first but the dealership made me the offer with only pictures I emailed them.
JSKolache
AG
HouseDivided06 said:

This tax piece is often overlooked. Recommend factoring it into your math.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
People do pretty well on here selling as well. Doesn't hurt to post it.
ac04
HouseDivided06 said:

BourbonAg
AG
You have to best trade in plus 6.5% percent plus the value of your time to beat the value of the trade-in offer
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.