BMW X5 vs Audi Q7

2,740 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Aggie09Derek
chewy03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Currently looking for a new vehicle and I have narrowed it down to X5 and Q7. Looking for opinions for either vehicle.
HollywoodBQ
AG
One thing I do know is that Audis depreciate like crazy. Folks that like them, love 'em though.

I have a 2009 X5 with the 4.8L V8. That thing drives like a bat outta hell. It was also pretty good in the snow too. Costly on repairs as to be expected with any high-end vehicle out of warranty.
FLATOUT
AG
Can't speak for the Audi but I daily a 16 X5 M Sport and love it.
WP69
AG
This may no longer be a consideration on an Audi. Wife has a 2014 Q5 without nav. There is hands free for the phone, but without nav you can't stream music; you can only use an aux cord. At that price point this was a stupid omission by Audi and there are/were many threads on the Audi boards about workarounds. Maybe they 'fixed' it since then or maybe you'll get the nav option, but I thought it worth the mention.
chewy03
AG
The package I'm looking at for the Audi has the navigation system. How about reliability between the two?
WP69
AG
chewy03 said:

The package I'm looking at for the Audi has the navigation system. How about reliability between the two?
Plenty of people where I live have BMWs either own or lease. Never had anyone complain about theirs. Wife's Q5 TDI has 110,000 miles, relatively trouble free. We've had all maintenance including oil changes done at the dealer. I don't enjoy getting under a car that low anymore and our dealer has killer loaners. I sold a Touareg TDI back to VW with 173,000 miles. $700ish in repairs in that time. Maintenance will be pricey on both. Cost of owning one.

I prefer Audi to BMW just as a personal preference as I think all BMWs look the same, they just come in different sizes.

How do warranties match up between the two?
f burg ag
AG
My wife has a 2015 Q7. It is a very comfortable ride and their service is strong. But it is not fun to drive. We will take it on a long trip (e.g. Destin 3 weeks ago), but I will always insist we take my Jeep SRT on anything less than 100 miles. If you care about performance/fun, I bet the X5 kills the Q7.
chewy03
AG
I'm looking at the M Sport Package for the X5 and the Prestige Package for the Q7. Warranty is similar for both vehicles. I do like to drive a vehicle that has some power to it, but sometimes comfort is not a bad thing.
Comeby!
AG
Any issue with putting a heavy tow load on these such as pulling a ski/fish fiberglass boat? Originally I got off the X5 bandwagon because the smaller engine may not be able to handle with it. Went with a Infiniti QX56 and now with a GL450 we are about to sell. Our other vehicles are BMW's but I don't know if an X5 could do the trick.
WP69
AG
When the Audi's had TDI they pulled great.
CedricBudrivenheimer
S
Had a 2015 X5 for less than a year - I personally always loved the exterior look, but I found the inside uncomfortable and the infotainment god-awful. I'm sure the new ones are much improved. And expensive is an understatement for maintenance and repair.
hatchback
AG
Audi Q7 because BMW is stupid and will begin charging annual fees for Apple CarPlay. They don't even support Android Auto.

Although, if you plan to keep the car no longer than 4.75 years (1 year is free and then 300/80=3.75), you could come out ahead. But it's still stupid.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15530125/bmw-to-treat-apple-carplay-as-a-subscription-service-and-charge-customers-an-annual-fee/

"The German automaker currently charges a one-time $300 to add Apple CarPlay capability to navigation-equipped BMW models. Going forward, though, navigation-equipped BMWs will come with CarPlay at no charge for one year. Following that first year, customers will need to pay an annual fee of $80 to maintain the relationship between their Apple device and their BMW's infotainment system. BMWs currently are not compatible with Android Auto, although the company did announce its plans to integrate Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa services into its vehicles."

Garrelli 5000
AG
A buddy's wife has a 17 or 18 q7. They like the tech, but he said he's had to have the alignment adjusted multiple times with the all wheel steering (or something to that affect). The implication was they might not keep it much longer.
AggieKatie2
AG
Drove a 2017 Q7 for multiple years. The new X5 is definitely on par with Q7 (the last generation wasn't), but the bmw tech is now better.
Diet Cokehead
AG
I have a 2018 X5M and it's a beast. I actually took it in today for the 10k mile service and they gave me a 2019 G05 X5 loaner. The new G05 interior is much nicer than the F15/85 and it rides much smoother. The loaner is a 40i, but still has plenty of pop for the average person although it's obviously quite inferior to the X5M. Still, any BMW is going to be inifnitely more fun to drive than an Audi.

I'd definitely go X5M, but I'm a bimmer fan boy. and having fun while driving is pretty much the most important thing to me in a car.
Matsui
AG
Have 2016 x5. No issues at all. Love it.
uneedastraw
Diet Cokehead said:

Still, any BMW is going to be inifnitely more fun to drive than an Audi

Have you driven a newer Audi SQ5? It has to give a BMW a run for its money.
Aggie09Derek
AG
uneedastraw said:

Diet Cokehead said:

Still, any BMW is going to be inifnitely more fun to drive than an Audi

Have you driven a newer Audi SQ5? It has to give a BMW a run for its money.

Have one and can confirm.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.