Wax/ clay bar advice

2,561 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by third coast..
cityagboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For those who hand wax/ clay bar their own vehicles. I have a black F150 and a black Mercedes GLK. Have more time on my hands these days and it has been 5 or so years since I have done it myself.

What's your suggestion on the best products?

Second suggestion on an easy/ quick product?
WP69
AG
The nanoskin clay towels are much faster and do the same job as a bar.

https://www.amazon.com/Nanoskin-AS-015-Autoscrub-Handy-Towel/dp/B00JM62JC0/ref=sr_1_1?gclid=CjwKCAjw67XpBRBqEiwA5RCoccnKtxIGNXEx07e05XJKif_IGxiLfiCmRl_EZyfRPa4v6kTnNcimhxoCALkQAvD_BwE&hvadid=256125954470&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9011292&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=9410592079696163167&hvtargid=kwd-438137402574&hydadcr=7248_9585982&keywords=nanoskin+towel&qid=1563315524&s=gateway&sr=8-1

I've got a black truck. For "wax" I use either Renny Doyle Bead Maker. Really good online reviews. Fast and easy. Lasts for several weeks, but that's not an issue as I can re-do the truck in 10 minutes or so.

https://www.amazon.com/Detailing-Products-C250P-Maker-Protectant/dp/B0779KCS7D/ref=sr_1_9_sspa?hvadid=3485370886&hvbmt=bb&hvdev=c&hvqmt=p&keywords=renny+doyle&qid=1563315838&s=gateway&sr=8-9-spons&psc=1

For something longer lasting I use Dallas Paint and Correction Armor. Just as fast and easy and lasts for several months.

https://luxurymicrofiberstore.com/products/armor-dpc-shine-protect?_pos=1&_sid=7109b1430&_ss=r

Watch Dallas Paint and Correction YouTube channel. Good info from someone focused on helping the DIY.
Cloud
+1 nanoskin
TxSquarebody
Never heard of this nanoskin towel thingy
Duncan Idaho
Best thing about the nanoskin is that you can drop it and just clean it off instead of throwing it away like clay
lotsofhp
AG
A worthy endeavor

One weekend in high school I spent the whole weekend clay baring my truck and then did a 3 stage polish/wax job on it. It was amazing he difference it made.

I'll never forget when my dad saw it when it was done, he came into the house and asked if that was my truck in the driveway.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I bought a 7424XP last year. One of the best investments ever.

EMY92
AG
That's what I use as well.
Jethro95
AG
Another nanoskin fan here. Also recently picked up a CR Spotless -- it's a life changer.

In addition to Dallas Paint Correction YouTube channel, I like Obsessed Garage and Pan the Organizer.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
EMY92 said:

That's what I use as well.
What kind of foams are you using?

theJonatron
AG
cityagboy said:

For those who hand wax/ clay bar their own vehicles. I have a black F150 and a black Mercedes GLK. Have more time on my hands these days and it has been 5 or so years since I have done it myself.

What's your suggestion on the best products?

Second suggestion on an easy/ quick product?
Use a magic eraser and don't forget to top off your blinker fluid.
It's fun to do bad things.
cityagboy
AG
OMG! Will a magic eraser work? I looked but can't find where blinker fluid goes.

EMY92
AG
I've used the Chemical Guys Hex-Logic and Lake Country pads.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
EMY92 said:

I've used the Chemical Guys Hex-Logic and Lake Country pads.
I'm using lake county as well, using different colored ones but I find they're pretty much all the same.
Post removed:
by user
EMY92
AG
The colors vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

You can tell the difference between a heavy cutting pad and finishing pad, but there are 10 different levels between those. I don't think it matter much if you pick on a step above or below what you really need.
WP69
AG
I think you'd stand a good chance. There are several grades, the yellow border nanoskin is a medium so it would be more aggressive than the green. My recommendation though would be to stick with the green and just spend more time working it.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
third coast.. said:

Would nano skin assist with getting really fine paint overspray off my whip? Shipyard got the best of my truck. It's on the windshield as well.

Uber ride/one way rental to the yard sounds better
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
third coast.. said:

You gonna pay that bill? 5 months in the yard. Got unlucky on one of whatever paint day. You can't see it but I know its there.

Cab cover?

03_Aggie
third coast.. said:

Admittedly theres one on my ship just too lazy to mess with it doing 7 12s or so.

It's there already. So will those towels talked about in this thread help remove it? Again it's very hard to see. Really fine and matches the color of my truck.

If they work like clay then I think they'd take care of it.

All I know is I just ordered the porter cable because of this damn thread.
EMY92
AG
Too bad we didn't discuss this yesterday. I got an alert for a Chemical Guys combo with one yesterday as a Prime Day special.

And for third, clay will take off overspray. Had that done before.
Post removed:
by user
91AggieLawyer
AG
WP69 said:

I think you'd stand a good chance. There are several grades, the yellow border nanoskin is a medium so it would be more aggressive than the green. My recommendation though would be to stick with the green and just spend more time working it.

Agree. I use the green as well. Although I strongly recommend that if the car hasn't been clayed in a while (or if you don't know) to use the real stuff first. The Mothers Clay kit (Walmart, virtually every auto parts store) is a good value or Clay Magic works too. Keep in mind that claying -- real or synthetic -- CAN mar the paint so use a good lubricant, use a lot of it, and be careful.

Prior to using clay, you can put the Eagle One All Wheel Black and Plasti-Coat Wheel Cleaner on the paint as a chemical decontam. Make sure you get this one (there are several Eagle One cleaners) and DO NOT get this on the windows. This works pretty similar to Car Pro Iron X.

If you want to grab a machine polisher and stick to the name brands, Pep Boys sells the Griots standard polisher and often puts it on sale. With a coupon you can get it pretty cheap. I think I got mine for like 105 bucks a few years ago. If you're willing to go knock-offs, this gets good reviews:

Maxshine M8S Dual Action/DA Polisher: 900W

Pads: Lake Country, Griots, Meguiars (microfiber) and even Chemical Guys. If you get a polisher you might want to try a 5" backing plate (most come with 6). Many like that better.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
third coast.. said:

Admittedly theres one on my ship just too lazy to mess with it doing 7 12s or so.

It's there already. So will those towels talked about in this thread help remove it? Again it's very hard to see. Really fine and matches the color of my truck.

Oh I thought you meant you parked it and left it there for weeks at a time.

Yes but after you remove it, a protectant must be applied. Wax or polish etc. I'd use NuFinish in this case since the objective is to protect first and shine second.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.