New Ram

7,799 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cbr
aggie_wes
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I'm about to be truck shopping, I need to know if Dodge/ram/Chrysler have improved their quality in the past few years since the last time I was truck shopping.

Back then it was a **** transmission and detonation issues with the Hemi. I'm also very concerned about all of the electronics and their longevity in the Texas heat.

I typically keep vehicles at least 5 years, going on 9 in my current truck, so reliability and longevity are pretty key to me.

easttexasaggie04
AG
You'll find most on this board aren't too fond of Rams and think they'll catch on fire. They might.
aggie_wes
AG
True. This board also loves Fords and I think they are uncomfortable pieces of junk, so....
BigRobSA
In my current job I rent a LOT of trucks. Most have been Ferd F-teen-Thousands. I've had one Ram. It was comfy, moreso than the Ferds...but Sync is better than Uconnect. But, if I HAD to drive a Ram, they've stepped it up, interior wise, over the years. Still not a fan, overall, but based mostly on their historic suckitude.
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
Naveronski
AG
aggie_wes said:

True. This board also loves Fords and I think they are uncomfortable pieces of junk, so....

Then that leaves Toyota. Buy a truck that's made in Texas.
aggie_wes
AG
If only the Tundra had been updated since 2007, and got better than 14mpg...
Naveronski
AG
aggie_wes said:

If only the Tundra had been updated since 2007, and got better than 14mpg...

You're in O&G!

Lower MPG is good for business!
The Kraken
AG
I was a longtime Ford (3 trucks, 22 years) owner when I switched to Ram four years ago. Been very pleased with it, about to hit 90k.
DallasAggie89
AG
Traded a 2016 F-150 Platinum for a 2019 Ram Limited.

I loved the Ford, it was a great truck, but it can't even compare to the Ram. This Ram is an unbelievable truck.

No regrets.
agnerd
AG
For half tons:
1. Dodge
2. Ford
3. Chevy
(and that's coming from a GM guy)
Ford or chevy for 3/4 tons.
Billy Foster
AG
Have a 2019 Lone Star with the 5.7 for a work truck. Love the interior and room in the back seat. Electronics will and already have become an intermediate issue (primarily radio/entertainment related). No surprise there as I had the same issues with our JGC. The transmission does not like slow speeds. Fun as hell and shifts well when your foot is is it. Otherwise it searches for a gear under 30 mph. Again, same issue we had with our JGC 8 speed transmission. For a free truck, it's great and very comfortable, especially on the highway. Still will not buy another Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler product.
YouBet
AG
No idea here but they definitely look the best. Beautiful damn truck.
bcanales05
AG
ag_wes, I'm out there truck shopping too.

My issue is that I need the large cab for the family (3 boys) but want the V8 feel. So Ford is out for me.

I love the GMC Sierra SLT and the AT4 versions, but the cab seems a little tight as I still have 1 kiddo in a full car seat.

My favorite right now is the Limited trim, but honestly I think this is out of my price range. I'm okay with the Lamarie trim.

I'm trying to decide between RWD of 4WD. I don't really tow anything and don't really do off roading.

I'm also finding out the rates are just not great right now. Mid to Low 4%'s.

I've never paid anything over 2.9% before so I'm still in shock.
Silvy
AG
Auto board rn

aggie_wes
AG
So a review of the NHTSA recall list for the 2019 RAM reveals a few minor issues.

Just to name a few: brake pedal can fall off. Ground fault causes power steering to fail. Steering wheel can come off. Battery terminals can overheat and catch fire.

And that's only on the first page of results. Yeah, I'm still a big "no" on Chrysler products.
MR Gadsden
Do not buy an eco-diesel. Just traded ours in at 95k miles. The engine had to be replaced at 86k because it suddenly started overheating. Went and got the emissions recall done and after that the turbo lag was so bad I thought I was going to get killed a couple of times because the truck just wouldn't accelerate. EcoDiesel is a great idea, gets good gas mileage but ultimately sucks.
saltydog13
AG
How is ford out if you want the v8 feel? They have the 5.0 v8 and the crew cab has a ton of room
Woods Ag
AG
Chrysler offers a lifetime warranty. Cost me about $3k and it covers everything except maintenance items (tires, oil, belts, etc). It covers any concerns about quality.

Mopar's out is that at any some point in the future if it costs less to write you a check for the current value of your truck than it does for the cost of the repairs then they can do that and be out of the lifetime warranty.

I own an F-150 5.0, wife owns a JGC for the past 2 years. I've had major engine issues with my Ford even though I love the truck.

I'll buy a dodge next unless Ford offers something similar.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I hated my Ford 5.0
TequilaMockingbird
I guess we've been lucky. Wife has had two Chargers and I currently have a Ram 1500. None have had issues other than a couple of factory recalls.

The son had an older Ram 1500 that had trouble with the window/door electronics, but it had been a company worktruck that had 140,000 miles on it when he got it.
Bob_Ag
AG
Ford and GM are not without their issues. Me and my neighbor both had to have our Ford 5.0 motors replaced at less than 50k miles. I wouldn't get caught up in it all. Find the truck you like to drive the most and hit the road.
The Kraken
AG
Why was it overheating? Losing coolant at the EGR cooler?
milkman00
AG
What year model Ford?
Bob_Ag
AG
milkman00 said:

What year model Ford?

Mine was a 14, neighbors was a 15.
91AggieLawyer
AG
aggie_wes said:

If only the Tundra had been updated since 2007

Why does this matter? First of all, it is a truck. Styling can only do so much. Do the recent Fords or Chevys REALLY look THAT much different than ones from 10 years ago? Second, most people buy them for their utility.

Here's a 1975 Chevy pickup:

Here's an '87 one (same 07/19 difference):

Year to year styling changes is a fairly recent thing with trucks and it isn't anywhere near a reason not to consider a brand.
aggie_wes
AG
I would take either of those over a new Tundra
Naveronski
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Second, most people buy them for their utility.

Most people buy them because they look cool.

Most people would be more economically served by a less expensive, boring, commuter car (or minivan), and renting a truck when they actually need a truck.

But we're vain, and we like to have fun, so we buy trucks.
'03ag
The issue is not the exterior. The current Tundra looks great. IMO Ford and Chevy have both gone off the rails with their styling.

The problem is the Tundra is horribly outdated inside. You may not care but current shoppers care. And even if they don't, they still see that Ford and Chevy are both offering a lot more inside.

And as someone else said, most truck buyers aren't really shopping for "truck" utility. Most of their beds never see anything except yeti coolers and their kids bat bags.
easttexasaggie04
AG
My Tundra has adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning, automatic high beams, pre-collision system, a roll down back window, navigation...all things my Lariat Ford 150 didn't have. Oh and the Ford engine quit on me after 140,000 miles.
saltydog13
AG
I'd like a longer bed than 5.5' in the tundra without having to sacrifice cab space.
Cloud
Wish I had the puke face

ElephantRider
AG
The Tundra's pathetic payload capacity rules it out for me.
TRIDENT
AG
New RAM interior.
Naveronski
AG
TRIDENT said:

New RAM interior.

I like the Ram's better, even as a Toyota fan. I really wish they would step up their tech game. As someone else pointed out, they won't because their trucks sell as is.
'03ag
Naveronski said:

TRIDENT said:

New RAM interior.

I like the Ram's better, even as a Toyota fan. I really wish they would step up their tech game. As someone else pointed out, they won't because their trucks sell as is.
Not really. 2018 sales ...

F150 - 909,330
Silverado/Sierra - 810,136
Ram - 536,980
Tundra - 118,258

The truck market is fiercely brand loyal, but Ram managed to take a ton of market share in the 2nd half of 2018. Toyota could do the same with a really great redesign.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.