changed my spark plugs

2,330 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CanyonAg77
Cassius
How long do you want to ignore this user?
F150 v8 coyote engine

Been a long time since this old man has been under the hood.

Not too bad. Cracked one of the electrical connectors on the coils trying to get it off. Also had to get a locking extension from Harbor Freight because these plugs are deep.

Dont automatically assume you have to use anti seize. Bosch says no anti seize with these plugs for my truck.

I think the last time I changed plugs was back in 1987 on my Chevy Monte Carlo.

Point of this thread: if you're thinking about DIY on plugs for that engine, it's relatively easy.
OregonAggie
AG
You feel like swinging by the house to help me rebuild a turbo?

I think you'll have fun!

My dad was a diesel mechanic and I do enjoy DIY projects on my truck. Reminds me of hanging out at the shop and him teaching my brother and I stuff.
TxSquarebody
Steel threads into aluminum heads....I'll take my chances with anti-seize.
Cassius
TxSquarebody said:

The threads on these plugs are nickel plated, not steel.
Absolute
AG
Did it on my 2013 g37 a few months ago, thinking to save a little on the 105k service and because I had a itch for some reason. First time in a LONG time for me too. Was not bad at all.

Unfortunately, the passenger side plugs had a little fouling. Indicating the need for a new gasket, more than I wanted to undertake, so spent the same/more to have that replaced.

OH well, still felt good about it.

Used antisieze, though I doubt this set will ever come back out.
TxSquarebody
Cassius said:

TxSquarebody said:

The threads on these plugs are nickel plated, not steel.

Still applies. No way I would risk it.
TexasRebel
AG
I think you're using anti-sieze for the wrong reasons.
TxSquarebody
TexasRebel said:

I think you're using anti-sieze for the wrong reasons.

It's literally in the name. I have repaired a lot of aluminum heads because of screwed up plug threads. But do what yall want. Keeps me in business.
Jack Cheese
AG
What's the risk or downside of using anti-seize? I just don't see any reason why not to.
Picard
AG
Jack Cheese said:

What's the risk or downside of using anti-seize? I just don't see any reason why not to.
CenterHillAg
AG
I know there's been talk in aviation of anti seize causing plugs to ground out, some manufacturers are suggesting using a light coating of oil when putting the plug back in.

Personally I slather them in anti seize, no issues so far.
Cassius
Jack Cheese said:

Over torqueing.
TexasRebel
AG
Anti-seize is great on things like Stainless fasteners that gall really easily. Also on like material that can fuse together over time with pressure. Plated steel threading into aluminum doesn't risk those things. Cross-threading, over torquing, inadequate depth and incorrect threads eat aluminum threds.
BigRobSA
Cassius said:

Jack Cheese said:

Over torqueing.

This.

It's known to change the tq specs
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
EMY92
AG
I didn't think Ford engines like plugs other than Motorcraft.
CanyonAg77
AG
CenterHillAg said:

I know there's been talk in aviation of anti seize causing plugs to ground out, some manufacturers are suggesting using a light coating of oil when putting the plug back in.
Unless you're putting it on the electrode, how would it cause a plug to "ground out"?

After all, the simple act of screwing them into a head grounds the plug....like it's supposed to.

Sounds like one of those things said around a coffee pot that no one checks out.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
EMY92 said:

I didn't think Ford engines like plugs other than Motorcraft.
X2
CenterHillAg
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

CenterHillAg said:

Unless you're putting it on the electrode, how would it cause a plug to "ground out"?

After all, the simple act of screwing them into a head grounds the plug....like it's supposed to.

Sounds like one of those things said around a coffee pot that no one checks out.
Most recent bulletin from the plug manufacturer.

It's become a pissing match between Lycoming and the plug companies, but it's settled down now. Lycoming put out a service bulletin saying no anti seize, only oil. The plug companies said that's ridiculous, use anti seize accordingly so you don't strip out cylinders. They settled on anti seize used sparingly and of a specific type.
CanyonAg77
AG
Reading the bulletin, looks like the problem is getting anti-seize on the electrodes. At least that makes sense, even if it sounds like it's not the anti-seize, but the technique
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.