headlight troubleshooting

1,194 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
agrams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
vehicle is a 2013 ram 2500:

I had an issue with moisture in a headlamp, so I took it off and dried it out. Then when installed, all was good but then I got a blinker out alarm and the higher tempo blinker rate. Figured it was resistance in a bad connector, so I removed it again, brushed and made sure the connectors were good. Reinstalled, still the same. Then realized the switchback sideview mirror turn signal led was out. I replaced that, and now that light works, but I still get the alarm and the fast tempo blinker signal. Ironically, the front and back blinkers work at their normal pace, but the side mirror led light flashes at the higher tempo that I get on the dash signal.

My thought is that there is some corrosion on a wire/connector in the headlamp, but its a damn led headlamp, so I can't replace the bulb, but would have to buy a whole new housing.. but that crap gets expensive.

Thoughts? Other items to troubleshoot?

TIA
Picard
AG
Now you know why they catch on fire

aggie_wes
AG
Chrylser products.

Try some dieletric grease in all of the connectors you take apart.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
Stick with it. Not much advice but I see way more old dodge/Chrysler cars trucks on the road than fords fwiw
wunderbrad01
AG
The dodges aren't that old.....they just look old.
aggieforester05
AG
Try replacing the fuses. My wife has a 2015 Charger and the headlights were intermittently working. It was because the fuses were melted and only making contact sometimes. Her's also has the lovely headlight fog. Thanks Dodge for building such a quality product. I love the way the car drives, but damn it would be nice if they were put together better.
EMY92
AG
My neighbor bought a new Dodge 5 weeks ago. The loaner thay've been driving for the last 3 weeks isn't as nice.

You would have thought that they'd learn. They had a Fiat 500 that spent several months per year in the shop. Their Chrysler minivan spends a month a year in the shop. So it's not like they are not familiar with the quality.
aggie_wes
AG
Which Dodge did they buy?
EMY92
AG
SUV, I'm not sure if it's the Journey (most likely) or the Durango.
Rexter
O'Doyle Rules said:

Stick with it. Not much advice but I see way more old dodge/Chrysler cars trucks on the road than fords fwiw

That's cause the Fords made it home...
agrams
AG
side mirror light was out..I replaced that and reset the alarm and cleaned/greased the light connector. was good for a day, then it's back. more moisture in the headlight also. think I may have a bad connection in the headlight. damn new headlight fixtures are expensive, and cant find just a left oem light on Ebay or craigslist.
aggieforester05
AG
Did you check the fuses? Melting is a common problem with Dodges. There's different fuses for each headlight.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Drill a teeny hole in the corner of the headlight on the bottom.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.