The do it all fun car

5,840 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Corps_Ag12
KidDoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
lb3 said:

Nobody knows whether the upcoming Tesla Roadster can be daily driven and it's a stretch purchase given the budget, but it's effectively a life size slot car.
It starts @ $200k.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Duncan Idaho
If only they still made an M5 wagon.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1123704_theres-a-secret-bmw-e34-m5-wagon-with-a-mclaren-f1-engine-in-it
Heights Ag 06
AG
Another vote for the 981 GT4. Spent time driving a friend's GT4 and fell in love. More comfortable option is the GTS. Great daily, great at autocross, great on track. All boxes checked.

Have an M2 and I would cross that off the list. Great at all of the requirements, but not exactly a great looker.
longeryak
KidDoc said:

Endo Ag said:

Tesla Model 3 performance or Model S w/ Ludacris and it isn't even close.
Model S will not survive the track. The battery overheats.

There is a Model 3 with track/performance mode so that would work but, IMO, they don't look as good as he dad wants them to look.

So, the car that can do it all, and has low ownership costs, doesn't have enough cache for him?
La Fours
AG
Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifolio
Dill-Ag13
AG
La Fours said:

LOL, read up and then run away

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a23145269/alfa-romeo-giulia-quadrifoglio-reliability-update/
KidDoc
AG
longeryak said:

KidDoc said:

Endo Ag said:

Tesla Model 3 performance or Model S w/ Ludacris and it isn't even close.
Model S will not survive the track. The battery overheats.

There is a Model 3 with track/performance mode so that would work but, IMO, they don't look as good as he dad wants them to look.

So, the car that can do it all, and has low ownership costs, doesn't have enough cache for him?
For me at least the Model 3 does not meet this requirement from the OP:

His main requirement is he wants it to look awesome, so that every time he walks into the garage or approaches it in the parking lot he gets a smile on his face.

That is obviously a very subjective thing but compared to Model S, Boxter, Corvette, etc etc it is not a sexy looking car.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
tony
AG
Ok which one of you throwing Tesla out there is a sock account for my brother?

He works for Tesla and preaches us his religion all day long, but it fails in the looks department and is the epitome of not light and nimble feeling.

That acceleration though.....
KidDoc
AG
tony said:

He works for Tesla and preaches us his religion all day long, but it fails in the looks department and is the epitome of not light and nimble feeling.

I'm assuming you are talking about the S. I think the S is stunning looking (I have had one for 5 years)and super fast in a straight line but it is NOT nimble at all. Now the 3 is supposedly nimble although I've never driven one. I just don't think it is great looking.

tony
AG
KidDoc said:

tony said:

I'm assuming you are talking about the S. I think the S is stunning looking (I have had one for 5 years)and super fast in a straight line but it is NOT nimble at all. Now the 3 is supposedly nimble although I've never driven one. I just don't think it is great looking.

I was talking about all the Tesla's. Just don't do much for us in the looks department. Except the lotus errr roadster. Not willing to wait around and hop the roadster 2 shows up.
Duncan Idaho
Dill-Ag13 said:

La Fours said:

LOL, read up and then run away

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a23145269/alfa-romeo-giulia-quadrifoglio-reliability-update/

Here is my shocked face
Tumble Weed
He needs a mercedes sl. Pick a flavor, AMG if you want to spend the dinero.

This is who they build the cars for. All the creature comforts and it looks badass. It will also go fast enough for him to fill his diaper.
FTAco07
AG
Tumble Weed said:

He needs a mercedes sl. Pick a flavor, AMG if you want to spend the dinero.

This is who they build the cars for. All the creature comforts and it looks badass. It will also go fast enough for him to fill his diaper.
Don't buy an SL until the new model comes out in 2020 as a 2021 model. That car is extremely old and outdated at this point.
'03ag
tony said:

In my opinion it's also not a good road trip car, whichbyou listed as a requirement.

This is somewhat subjective or course, but I want my road trip car to run on dead dinosaurs.
FTAco07
AG
Your dad should definitely check out the BMW 8 series. The m850i is out now and the M8 coupe will be available shortly followed by the 4 door gran coupe. They aren't cheap, but if you don't need the full blown M car I bet the m850 will be more readily available once the M comes out. If you want hoonage in a beautiful luxury grand tourer I can't find anything better for less than $150k.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Panamera?
Jaydoug
AG
Bentley SUV.

Fast, luxurious and can pull a14' Basstracker.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1235304/2013-lamborghini-gallardo-for-sale-in-kelowna-british-columbia-v1x8c8

tk for tu juan
That has to be more than the 450hp rating...

DeWrecking Crew
Barrett-Jackson Auction- Oct.3-5 Las Vegas

If I had $150K cash to spend on a vehicle this is where I'd go to spend it
PharmD4
AG
A lot of good recs so far. What about 2019 Aston Vantage? Not sure what the used market is like, but this is one of the best looking cars to hit the market in the last few years IMO

HumbleAg04
AG
Having hooned a 2015 GT3 at MSR my vote on this goes to the GT4. It checks every box.
aTm2004
AG
911 Turbo S or GTS
aggieforester05
AG
Do Want!

Ferrari FF

A 2015 model with around 20K miles goes for just under $150K.

tk for tu juan
The C8 hits one of the bullet points:

FTAco07
AG
Kind of random, but I ended up test driving the Lexus LC 500 today.

The Good:

I think the car looks great and more special than most of what's on the market. This is the only car where the otherwise stupid Lexus grill actually works and is definitely a car that the valet will leave up front.

The interior is higher quality and nicer than anything on the market short of Bentley/Rolls. Really well done here. The stereo, cooled seats, leather quality, and craftsmanship are all top notch!

It rides very comfortably despite the 21" wheels on my test car

The SOUND! That naturally aspirated v8 makes such a perfect noise inside and outside the car. Excluding "super cars" this is the best sounding engine I've ever heard. It makes you feel like you are accelerating much harder and going faster than you really are

The Bad:

You aren't actually going as fast as it sounds because this engine doesn't make real power until the top of the rev band. It sounds good in regular driving, but this thing is a dog unless the go pedal is planted. This is why everyone else is turbocharging motors and the NA is going to be extinct soon.

The 10 speed somehow makes the above worse because the gears are so wide that you lose the power band on every shift. The top 4 gears are totally worthless in city driving. You should't be able to hit 70 mph in 2nd gear of a 10 speed.

The backseat is for storage only; no people allowed

The Lexus infotainment system and controls are garbage. Nobody wants to have to navigate a finger driven mouse pad while they're driving. BMW, Audi, and Mercedes are still the only company to have figured this out

Lastly, the trunk is an absolute joke! It's the shallowest truck I've ever seen because apparently the battery is underneath. Not only is it shallow, but it's small and the opening can't be more than 18" high. They claim a golf bag can fit, but it better be a small carry bag with no clubs in it.

All in all, it was actually a better/nicer car than I expected. The performance figures aren't as good as others, but it's plenty quick enough for a daily driver and the sound made me very happy. That said, I don't think I would buy one due to the bad infotainment system and the trunk that can't hold anything more than a few grocery bags.
jefe95
AG
I would take a GTR in a heartbeat. But it's been scratched off the list. Pity.
ILikeTacos
AG
tony said:

Other requirements

Less than 5 or so years old
Top price of around 150k or so but doesn't need to spend near all of that
Doesn't care if it's competitive in a specific auto cross class, as long as it's fast.
Bonus if it can haul a set of golf clubs

What I have so far

New NSX Currently a used bargain, looks great, and performs well
Alpha Romeo 4c I shy away from all of the Alpha's currently with their reliability and the dealers going belly up
Audi R8 Owned a 2017 for two months, loved it but couldn't stand how I almost got run off the road twice by gawkers. GREAT car, didn't like the turn in on back roads, front end felt light.
BMW M2 or M4 Both great, M4's are a dime a dozen, I personally would look for a used M3 Competition. FUN car, good asthetics
Cadillac ATSV or CTSV Owned an ATS-V and a V2 and V3, out of this batch I would buy a 17+ CTS-V. The ATS drives amazing but has no balls, the CTS-V has all the balls, drives great and looks amazing.
C7 Vette - Buy a ZR1 if doing this as it is the only one that holds it's value. Looks are starting to date, interior is *****
C8 Vette - Buy a used ZR1 as well, will be a **** roadtrip car but they are a blast to blast around in. If not then get a used Grand Sport or Z06 with the wide body
Jaguar F type - They are tiny inside but sound great
Lexux LC 500 and RC-F I love the LC500, but it has no balls. Looks great, great interior. The RC-F is kinda blah.
Lotus Evora and Exige - Meh.
Maserati Gran Turismo - My mom owned 3 of these, Sound amazing, Look Great, **** electronics, NO value, PASS
Mclaren 570s - Amazing until it is in the shop, then it will never leave. I want a 570GT something fierce.
Mercedes AMG GT - They lose value like crazy, and honestly they are great cars but everyone who owns or drives them is just left feeling like it is an 8/10 car. I can't see out of them but I am tall, they also ride rough.
Porsche Cayman or 911 - Owned these will give my opinion below
Toyota Supra New Hotness, I would wait tho. It is an M2 in different clothes and the price won't come down for a minute.

intentionally left off:
earlier vettes, Thank god
Nissan GTR Why? The used market for these cars is crazy good currently and the 17+ is a solidly nice car finally. What the CBA and DBA cars lacked the 17+ makes up. I owned 2.
pony cars - I don't disagree with this but the new Camaro ZL1 1LE with the 10 speed is hot flipping fire.

Anything I should add to the list?

I am one of those weird Auto Board posters who has owned a few of the vehicles on this list or been involved in the building and running of them. I will give my two cents in the quote.

Ok my recommendation after all of my comments is a 991.2 Porsche 911 Turbo. No need for an S. It is an amazing road trip car, the perfect grand tourer. I have fit a set of golf clubs in the rear deck of mine. I have had a 991 Turbo, and GTS and just hands down the 991.2 Turbo is the bees knees. Fast, comfortable, great looking, amazing motor, amazing trans, dead nuts reliable, and a tune and exhaust away from being a monster.

No matter what let us know what he decides because there is so many possibilities here. Also depending on location I can give dealer recs for finding cars like these.

Pics of my past cars to know I am not just blowing smoke...

R8

GTR's

Caddy's

Porsches

(Tail of the Dragon, that was fun)

Current "fun" garage is an Audi RS5 and a Jeep Trackhawk because eph it why not?

Corps_Ag12
AG
Every time you post your stable of vehicles, it leaves me in awe
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.