The do it all fun car

5,847 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Corps_Ag12
tony
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My dad celebrated his retirement and selling of his business last weekend, and has asked me to help me find THE ONE CAR. The one that can do it all. He wants something that can do autocross, trackdays, and roadtrips. I asked him what he was thinking about and the first thing he threw out was a Mercedes AMG GT. His main requirement is he wants it to look awesome, so that every time he walks into the garage or approaches it in the parking lot he gets a smile on his face. I'm the exact opposite of this approach, give me a ton of money and I'm buying a ratty NA miata to send to Flying Miata for an LS swap that looks as stock as possible and then go terrorize Porsche club events. So that's why I'm coming to the collective wisdom here to come up with a list of cars that just look jaw droppingly good.

Other things to consider, he currently has a AP2 S2000, and has extensively driven my old NA miata. He loves how light and nimble those cars feel. Based on his stated goals I was listing a bunch of Grand touring type cars, but I know he won't like driving them as much as something lighter.

Other requirements

Less than 5 or so years old
Top price of around 150k or so but doesn't need to spend near all of that
Doesn't care if it's competitive in a specific auto cross class, as long as it's fast.
Bonus if it can haul a set of golf clubs

What I have so far

New NSX
Alpha Romeo 4c
Audi R8
BMW M2 or M4
Cadillac ATSV or CTSV
C7 Vette
C8 Vette
Jaguar F type
Lexux LC 500 and RC-F
Lotus Evora and Exige
Maserati Gran Turismo
Mclaren 570s
Mercedes AMG GT
Porsche Cayman or 911
Toyota Supra

intentionally left off:
earlier vettes,
Nissan GTR
pony cars

Anything I should add to the list?
TxSquarebody
Haven driven one, the Exige is a fantastically fun car to drive! If he could overlook the year model, a V8 Esprit is even more impressive! With a control arm bushing upgrade and ECM remap from Lotus, the Esprit would be hard to be at most club track days. Out of your list, though, the Exige.
chimpanzee
That's a pretty wide spread of cool cars. If any of them are individual contenders, it's got to go down to personal preference.

For the price of one of the higher end cars on that list though, you could get two others.

I'd go with an LS swapped Miata and a Charger Hellcat if I had that kind on money.
tony
AG
The exige is way up there, biggest knock is getting in and out of it.
Cibalo
Viper SRT ACR
tk for tu juan
The new Cayman GT4

https://www.porsche.com/usa/models/718/718-cayman-gt4/
tony
AG
Forgot the viper. We are setting up a trip to Dallas when they get a gt4, that's an early leader as well.
mts6175
AG
New C8 vette is intriguing to me.....
tk for tu juan
The previous version of the GT4 on pilot sport cup 2 tires

The Ring Taxi video from behind those two:

An Ag in CO
AG
If he's willing to go a few years further back (2010 - 2013) he can put a Ferrari 458 in the garage.
TxAg20
AG
I'd cross the 911 off your list and probably the 570, Lotii, Vettes, R8, or any other great track cars for road trip purposes. 2 seaters with stiff suspension and low profile tires get pretty miserable on the highway. In my opinion you trade highway comfort for track performance.

I know it doesn't fit your ONE CAR criteria, but with $150,000 I would get 2 cars. One of the 2 doors from your list plus something comfortable for highway miles.
FTAco07
AG
I'm in a similar search right now although I care much less about racing and more about fitting a golf bag and price. For your purposes I would scratch the BMWs, C7 Vette, Lexus, Maserati, and Supra. IMO, those are either too slow/fat (Lexus, Maserati, Supra), or too common (BMW, C7).

I would add the new BMW M8 to that list which will be available soon. Let us know if/when he makes a decision.
Tim Weaver
I can't financially play in this playground, but Matt Farah speaks so very highly of the Evora 400. Matt seems to know what he's talking about too.

https://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/21619/living-the-perfect-lotus-lifestyle-5-racetracks-at-a-time
tk for tu juan
chimpanzee said:

I'd go with an LS swapped Miata...

hatchback
AG
Don't laugh... But if I was looking to spend up to $150,000 on a "do it all" car , I'd get one of these.

Mercedes-Benz AMG E63 S wagon. Twin turbo V8 with 600 horsepower? Giggity.

It will haul 4 of his friends and their golf bags while haulin' ass to the country club.

Flaith
AG
Does he want a nimble race car (Lotus, Alfa 4c) or does he want a GT car?

Endo Ag
AG
Tesla Model 3 performance or Model S w/ Ludacris and it isn't even close.
tony
AG
That's the problem he wants both. I'm still lobbying for a two car package, I'm even offering to let him store one in my shop!
ac04
"do it all" is sort of the entire point of the 911
JBLHAG03
AG
That list is pretty long. Everyone will pick something different. Ill take the Lexus LC500 for everyday do it all car.
DeWrecking Crew
If you add Spyder to the end of the Audi R8, that is hands down my winner
Samuel E. Cronkowitz
AG
911 turbo
jrrhouston98
AG
Cayman GT4 or 911 GT3.
TxSquarebody
Porsche Panamera?
TRIDENT
AG
Another vote for a 911 Turbo
strohag
AG
Porsche Panamera Hybrid is nuts. 677hp. Recently did the driving experience in Atlanta and we got to ride with a professional driver in this car. Car is crazy fast. If i had the dough there would be one parked in my garage right now.
Duncan Idaho
How old is dad?

Some of these cars are a real ***** to get in and out of.
Old Sarge
AG
I am an Old's.

I want my "last car" to be a '86 CJ7 Laredo. Stock, original, mint, with the knee freeze AC. I'd fuggin' cry.

Cry rivers.

tony
AG

He's had hip and knee replacement but if he can get in and out of our shifter karts most cars won't be to bad
TxAg20
AG
I owned an '08 911 Turbo. Great car, but I wouldn't want to drive it every single day.

Of the cars I've owned, which is not that many, the only one that might check the boxes is the M5.
07ag
AG
get a tesla
https://ts.la/eric59704
longeryak
tony said:

My dad celebrated his retirement and selling of his business last weekend, and has asked me to help me find THE ONE CAR. The one that can do it all. He wants something that can do autocross, trackdays, and roadtrips....

Less than 5 or so years old
Top price of around 150k or so but doesn't need to spend near all of that
Doesn't care if it's competitive in a specific auto cross class, as long as it's fast.
Bonus if it can haul a set of golf clubs....

Anything I should add to the list?

Ideal Tesla candidate.
lb3
AG
Dill-Ag13
AG
hatchback said:

Don't laugh... But if I was looking to spend up to $150,000 on a "do it all" car , I'd get one of these.

Mercedes-Benz AMG E63 S wagon. Twin turbo V8 with 600 horsepower? Giggity.

It will haul 4 of his friends and their golf bags while haulin' ass to the country club.

This. The wagon is the quintessential do it all car.

KidDoc
AG
Endo Ag said:

Tesla Model 3 performance or Model S w/ Ludacris and it isn't even close.
Model S will not survive the track. The battery overheats.

There is a Model 3 with track/performance mode so that would work but, IMO, they don't look as good as he dad wants them to look.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.