Tonno Pro Hard folding bed covers

2,155 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by agcrock2005
tamc91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have a Tonno Pro folding cover?

I was originally looking at a BakFlip tonneau cover for my 2014 F150, but the Tonno Pro hard folding is almost half the price. It looks similar except the section closest to the cab doesn't have the extending hinge.

Has anyone owned or looked at these in person?
drewbie
AG
I've had the Tri-Fold for a little over 4 years. I bought it mostly because of the price (much lower than others). It's a decent value, but I've had growing concerns over the quality as it's gotten older. The stitching and fabric that covers the truck bed is very good and I'm pleased with that part. It's also very to install and take off. It takes me at most 10 minutes to install/take off. Most of my concerns are w/ the 4 latches. They seem cheap and fragile. When you latch the trifold on to the bed, I always feel like it's going to break or come off their latch tracks. One latch came off their tracks a while back and it took about 30 minutes trying to get it back on the track using pliers screwdrivers, etc. I've learned to hold the latch steady w/ one hand while latching it w/ the other. The weather stripping on the sides of trifold have also become unglued and fallen off over the years. This is not a huge problem, but it might let some water seep into the bed when it's raining. I'm sure you can glue them back on, I just haven't been worried enough to do that.

On the highway, the cover stays in place. My stuff has always stayed dry too. When you're going 75-80mph, it blows a little in the wind and I'm always wondering when it's gonna fly off but it never does. I only use it when we go on road trips which is a few times a year (and for the few weeks following a trip until I stop being lazy and actually take it off). We took it to Disney World (16-17 hours each way) and it worked great. We've taken road trips throughout the state and it's stayed on. Overall, I'd recommend it if you only need it a few times a year and want a fairly cheap option. I'd have concerns if you want to use it year round and/or use it more than a few times a yea...
JSKolache
AG
3 yrs now on the tonno pro hardfolder on tundra. I like it, would buy again.
Agmechanic
AG
Had a backflip, hated it.

Currently have a toll n lock. Love it
a gmechanic 01@gma i l (no spaces)
agcrock2005
AG
Agmechanic said:

Had a backflip, hated it.
Got on here to try to find out the guy's name at Truck Alterations that someone recommended on here for the Baklip MX's. I'm looking to get my 3rd one in a row because I love them so much. What didn't you like?
vansprinkle
AG
Have had a Peragon for 6.5 years. Has held up well.
tailgatetimer10
AG
These look sweet, however I wish you didn't have to lock them with a key.

I'll be getting a bed cover in the near future, still not fully decided.

I like the:
Backflip revolver but worried how the material will hold up
Backflip mx4 due to how many people have them and like them
Peragon for it's price, easy removal and functionality.. Just don't like that it locks with a key
Sueshade10
AG
I've had a Bakflip MX4 on my F150 for 2 years now and love it! High quality and very reliable. I'm glad I paid up for it, but still got a deal on it. I would recommend going with the cover you like best regardless of price because it's worth it for the entire life of the truck.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Bakflip Revolver X4 here. Love it.
agcrock2005
AG
FYI: Checked back through my old e-mails and Luke at Truck Alterations is the contact for the Bakflips. Their price is WAY lower than everyone else. Just ordered my 3rd one for $775 and that includes shipping. Most others are in the $900's for them.
Agmechanic
AG
Im in and out of this truck bed all day for work. Hated having to fold it all the way up to get stuff in the front of the bed
a gmechanic 01@gma i l (no spaces)
agcrock2005
AG
Agmechanic said:

Im in and out of this truck bed all day for work. Hated having to fold it all the way up to get stuff in the front of the bed
Totally understand where you're coming from in that case. I fold mine once or twice a week. I would not like it if I had to use it multiple times per day.
bam02
AG
I kind of agree with AgMechanic. I have a bakflip g2 and loved it for years, but that was when my wife drove the truck and I only used it on occasion and road trips. It's great for what it is, but now I use the truck for work and have to access the entire bed frequently and it's a real hassle. Especially in the middle of summer when that thing is blazing hot.

Sueshade10
AG
I guess it really depends how you use your truck. I use mine for golf clubs, yard work, and travel. My MX4 is a tri-fold and works perfectly for me. It is really easy for me to fold up and use the entire bed when I need it, but if you use your entire bed every day an automatic roll up cover might be best.
Lone Stranger
I put a Bak Flip g2 on a 2008 F150 when new. After about 7 years it was getting raggedy and and coming loose at the seams/channels so I took it all apart and refurbished/rebuilt it and repainted. Replaced the sandwiched foam board that was disintegrating, gorilla glue on all the channels/edges, new rivets, grind, sand and paint. My kid drives it now and it is still going strong today. I knew it wasn't water tight when I bought it because I don't need watertight for what I haul. If I did occasionally because the wife has something to haul that can't get wet and it could rain we bagged things.
Builder93
AG
bam02 said:

I kind of agree with AgMechanic. I have a bakflip g2 and loved it for years, but that was when my wife drove the truck and I only used it on occasion and road trips. It's great for what it is, but now I use the truck for work and have to access the entire bed frequently and it's a real hassle. Especially in the middle of summer when that thing is blazing hot.

I agree with this. I go back and forth between my toolbox and the Backflip. Backflip is great for traveling or when you are not using the bed for much, but when you are in and out of it frequently it's a pain especially when the thing you need slid up to the front.
tailgatetimer10
AG
Get a cargo load bar. Super handy
tamc91
AG
Thanks for all the replies. Definitely gave me some new options to consider.

Easy installation and removal is key since I'll only use it a few time a year when traveling. Mostly need it for security. Otherwise, I have a dog kennel or bikss back there and want access to the entire bed without a cover.
agcrock2005
AG
I ordered my Bakflip from Luke at Truck Alterations at 10:30 AM Thursday and by 10:30 AM Friday it was on my porch. No clue how they get it from NC to TX in 24 hours without charging more for shipping. I'm also the opposite of a handyman but with the help of a video on Youtube that walks you through installation it took me 2 beers and about 30 minutes to install. You need a 9/16 socket, scissors and a philips screwdriver. Pretty simple.
dave99ag
AG
The BakFlips are drop shipped from Carrollton, so that's why they show up so fast in Texas.
tamc91
AG
Are you referring to the online shop at www.Truckalterations.com, or a brick & mortar shop near you? If the online store, were they willing to negotiate on price like they advertise?
agcrock2005
AG
Online pricing not what you get if you call and talk to Luke. $775 included tax and shipping and was on my door the next day. Way better pricing than anyone else on these.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.