Dreaded AFM Lifter Tick

10,096 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 80sGeorge
aggie_wes
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2008 Silverado with the 6.0 Started this morning after the truck got warm. It's a clear tapping sound that varies with engine RPM and load. Oil pressure is OK 25-30 at idle and around 40-45 at RPM.

So I need opinions. I was planning on getting a new truck later this year. Is there a relatively easy fix I can do to get another 6 months out of it? I do my own maintenance, not scared of pulling a valve cover and some rockers or anything, just want to know if that will fix it or just buy me an indeterminate amount of time.

If not, is there a very easy fix I can do to get it to go away long enough to trade in at the dealer?
Silvy
AG
Is this 6.0 in a half ton Seelborado? If so, dang RIP. Oil pressure is definitely on the low side, I'd try to get it off your hands ASAP. I'm generous enough that I'll do a straight up trade...an '04 Silverado (Silvy Edition) w/ ~280k and a "custom" finish.

Nothing short of replacing lifters (pulling heads), will be of any help.

If a 3/4T , you ain't got AFM, foo.
aggie_wes
AG
it's a 1500 silverado. It literally just started this morning. I was thinking an oil change with maybe some 10w-40 to boost the pressure a bit and then trade it in this week, but i don't know if that will help.

I could try to replace just the stuck lifter, but you're saying i have to pull the heads? FECK. Otherwise i understand i'm in probably $1200 for basically the AFM delete kit with cams, lifters, rockers, etc?
aggie_wes
AG
As for your trade offer, I can't tell if you're being facetious or not (you tend to be when it comes to picking up LS motors)
Corps_Ag12
AG
Maybe try a oil treatment to thicken it up a bit before trading it in? I'd definitely get a written offer from Carmax so you have something firm to stand on (a bottom, if you will) before heading off to the dealership. Regardless of your situation, you need to be prepared to walk away from a deal.

Just my .02 cents
Street Fighter
AG
Tome to drop 8n an LT1
Picard
AG
Silvy
AG
If you're willing to trade your truck in it's current condition for an 04 Silverado with 280k on chassis, no I'm not being facetious.
MTTANK
AG
Would running some ATF in it a couple of days help the lifter maybe?
GIG 'EM
aggie_wes
AG
Tried my "easy" fix (ran some detergent in the oil for a few mins, drained, oil and filter change) and it's quieter but still ticking.

Any thoughts on this guy's fix?

go to about 9:00
TxSquarebody
Link no worky
aggie_wes
AG
Fixed...ish
Corps_Ag12
AG
It'd probably work, but you'd have to somehow keep the truck out of 4cyl mode long enough to trade it in and that's not something you can just turn off.

You either need an OBD2 plug in to disable it or have to tune it out with a custom tune.
JP76
I've seen good results with this on lifter issues on different applications.

https://www.amazon.com/Bars-Products-Rislone-100QR-Treatment/dp/B000AMBODK
aggie_wes
AG
I would buy one of the range devices.
moore42
AG
Did you try marvel mystery oil? It always quietened down my Yukon lifter tick for about the first 2500 miles on a 5000 mile oil change interval. I used 1/2 quart in crank case during oil change.
aggie_wes
AG
Pulled a valve cover today and the 4th rocker from the front is loose. I pulled the rocker and push rod and cleaned them up. I'm sending the ECM out to get AFM turned off, I'll replace the oil strainer under the pressure sending unit and we'll see what happens.

Should I spray everything with a valve cleaner or something? There is definitely a varnish present, but overall everything seemed pretty clean. No sludge to speak of, but I always have run full synthetic.
Silvy
AG
That varnish is the norm, just put it all back together. I'd go ahead and torque all rockers to spec, 22 ft-lb IIRC
aggie_wes
AG
Thanks. Just waiting on the new cover gasket to ship.
Silvy
AG
You shouldn't need to replace that valve cover gasket. If you feel the gasket raised around the entire cover, it's fine. Don't think I've ever replaced one of those lol
aggie_wes
AG
Good to know. Just gotta get The ECU back, then.
Aggieangler93
AG
You can try my head in the sand approach:

5.3L in my 2006 half ton started knocking at 200K miles. One kid is in college and another in HS, so I am rather poor at the moment for large longer-term expenses.

I basically get a high mileage full synthetic oil change at Wal Mart ($39.95 Pennzoil) whenever computer says oil life is at 30%. It ticks randomly, but I have put 46K on it, since they said it would evenually need to have heads pulled and replace lifters, etc. I add some Rislone or Marvel Mystery Oil on occasion. They both quiet it down for a bit.

Then again, if you said you were gonna get a new one soon anyway, see if the Rislone or Marvel works, and dump it.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
big ben
AG
My range plug increased mpg by 3-4, increased throttle response and oil consumption has stopped
aggie_wes
AG
Good to know. I ended up sending the ECM (ECU?) out to get AFM turned off for good.
aggie_wes
AG
Quieter still, but present. Do I need to drive it a bit for this to unstick? Or would it pretty much be stuck or it won't?
Furlock Bones
AG
Wait for the next flood. Drive it in. Deep.
aggie_wes
AG
Im in fort Worth. We don't flood much.
MTTANK
AG
Run it. Shorter oil change intervals with high mileage full synthetic as suggested above. Add some atf in the crankcase 50-100 miles before you change it. Bet it continues to get more quiet or go away.
GIG 'EM
aggie_wes
AG
Did the fix from the video and....

The lifter popped up! Rocker arm tight!

And then I turned the motor over by hand and.... Loose again. I'm going to button her back up and trade as is.

Or if anybody wants an LS motor ready for a cam swap... I'm open to offers.
Silvy
AG
Trefiddy
aggie_wes
AG
I think I fixed it.

That guy has a newer video where he details a step he left out. Basically the lifter pops up too far to where it doesn't lock open. You take the push rod and give it a little whacky whack and then it locks open.

Also did some stuff with the valley cover to keep it from building pressure that would activate the lifter to collapse.

Took a trip around the block and she sounds like new.
harge57
AG
Nice work.
Jack Cheese
AG
Trade it quick!!
aggie_wes
AG
Got it cleaned, took pics and got a quote from givemethevin today. Going to probably trade it tonight

Also givemethevin are a bag of dicks, but they gave me a number I'm happy with. I'll try to get the dealer to beat it.
BigPuma
AG
aggie_wes said:

Got it cleaned, took pics and got a quote from givemethevin today. Going to probably trade it tonight

Also givemethevin are a bag of dicks, but they gave me a number I'm happy with. I'll try to get the dealer to beat it.
If a dealer matches it, you come out ahead on the sales tax difference. That is what I did on mine.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.