Best Convertible Toy Car?

7,930 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by '03ag
KidDoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So in about two years we are likely going to have all the kids off the payroll, the X5 & Model S will be paid off, only left over big budget item is the house. The only thing I really miss is not having a convertible as I sold my convertible Mustang for the Model S. Therefore I have started the research and discussion of buying a convertible to drive on nice weather days, preferably a stick.

I want a fairly modern vehicle for safety reasons, I would guess 2007+ for side impact airbags and antilock breaks. I am NOT a gear head and do not want a project car. At this point I don't plan to autocross or anything but that is subject to change if I get too bored.

So if you have a $20,000 and under budget what two seater convertible roadster would you buy?

Miata?
Saturn Sky?
BMW?

Thanks gearheads! I would post some pretty lady as a thank you but I'm at work and the IT people would probably get made at me.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aTm2004
AG
Why wait?
'03ag
Boxster and it's not close for me. With that budget i think you can get an '09+ and avoid IMS issues. That's about the only thing that made the early ones a maintenance concern.
Doug Collins
AG
Honda s2000 plus it'll hold it's value pretty well.

For $20k you could get a really nice ap2 (2nd gen, 2004-2008) example. I have an ap1 2002 and it's fun despite the lack of torque. One of the last truly mechanical cars built i.e. no fancy electronics.

Boxster also a nice choice. I'd get either of those if you're looking for something that emphasizes fun vs. overall power
KidDoc
AG
aTm2004 said:

Why wait?
Wow amazing looking car!

It looks like Elpaso bought it already though.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aTm2004
AG
KidDoc said:

aTm2004 said:

Why wait?
Wow amazing looking car!

I'm sure it'll come back around.
KidDoc
AG
aTm2004 said:

KidDoc said:

aTm2004 said:

Why wait?
Wow amazing looking car!

I'm sure it'll come back around.
Good idea I'll watch that post!
3rdgenAg2010
Spend 30k and get a Lotus Elise. Toyota engine and not an S2000...
vansprinkle
AG
C6 Vettes will drop in value quickly when the C8 comes out. Plus used convertible Vettes are much cheaper than hard tops anyway.
Silvy
AG
Definitely find a C6 that someone else has thrown boost on already
Duncan Idaho
Miata if you want the most fun and tuneability.
S2000 if you want to make sure it never depreciates
Corvette if you want the best performance value
Boxster fits in between the vette and the s2000.

The lotus is a great idea. Fantastic car and will always get noticed more than anything else.

I'd get the miata, but since you are a dr, you should get the lotus
rononeill
Go to bringatrailer and find something you've never thought of.

'72 K5 is mine
Duncan Idaho
An SL could be an interesting pick if you don't plan on auto crossing it
keysercade
AG
I miss my Miata everyday, but wasn't at all practical with a newborn around...

Why I loved it: turn the key and it goes, no crazy maintenance or over engineering, the shifting was like butter, there are plenty of low mileage weekend drivers available, held its value crazy well and sold in a single weekend at a fairly aggressive price.
tk for tu juan
Right up until you said $20,000 I had this suggestion:

Duncan Idaho
The correct AB response should be an LS swapped miata.

https://www.flyinmiata.com/v8-engine-installation-kit.html
aTm2004
AG
I've always loved the E46 M3s

Strongwind86
AG
Jeep 'brah!
Flaith
AG
embrace your true old man-ness

'03ag
aTm2004 said:

I've always loved the E46 M3s

Yeah but at their age it just doesnt fit the OP. Subframe issues. Valve lash adjustment. Vanos. Just too much for the non gearhead.
KidDoc
AG
Hey I'm not old only 46! We just had kids young.

The Corvette won't work due to logistics. I have the three car garage with the x5 in the third spot and my Model s in the double spot. My son`s miata fit well next to the S but a vette would be too big to fit I believe.

Great tips though I'll start price watching over time.
Mookie
AG
Miata. All the other cars suggested are great and fun, but the point of a convertible toy is that you park it in the extra bay of the garage, when the suns out on a lazy Sunday, you fire it up and take the scenic route to the coffee shop.

Boxters, 3 series verts, etc you do everything but the last step. Instead, you end up taking the Tesla to autozone and swapping out an o2 sensor or an alternator, etc. and wondering why you didn't just get a Miata.
KidDoc
AG
I'm not sure what it is but there is something about the Honda S2000 front end that doesn't work for me. Maybe too rounded or the grill too big.

Which is too bad because otherwise it does look like a good fit.
NSA Surveillance Van
Fiat 124?

Seems like a good cheap/fun car that's a bit different than the Miata
Duncan Idaho
I just see these as a bad choice. No way they will be as well supported in the after market as the miata and they will certainly depreciate like any fiat.

It is like taking all of the great things about a miata and throwing then out.
hatchback
AG
Miata is always the answer.

I do like the Lotus suggestion, though. Or a Porsche. But really, get a Miata.
'03ag
KidDoc said:

I'm not sure what it is but there is something about the Honda S2000 front end that doesn't work for me. Maybe too rounded or the grill too big.

Which is too bad because otherwise it does look like a good fit.
For me the overall shape is too wedg-ey. The nose is too low and weak looking. That said if I could afford one that wasn't ratted out, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
KRT-1
Had it for two years, and still get a big smile on my face every time I take it out for a spin. Go MX-5!

TxLawDawg
AG
Pretty sure the seller is an Aggie.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2322992807761649/
Guitarsoup
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

The correct AB response should be an LS swapped miata.

https://www.flyinmiata.com/v8-engine-installation-kit.html
I bought my Miata with this intention, then decided not to put $12,000 into a $5,000 car.
KidDoc
AG
TxLawDawg said:

Pretty sure the seller is an Aggie.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2322992807761649/
Thanks for the link, a bit higher than my theoretical budget and expensive for that car but under 10,000 miles is impressive. I need to measure my garage space and figure out what I can and cannot actually fit in the space.

HumbleAg04
AG
Miata is the right answer.

I'd do a Boxer though.
JamesPShelley
Best value out there, if properly sorted. I've had mine for 2 years, and it's more fun to drive than anything ever I've owned.

eBay is a good source. However, for extraordinary specimens visit the 986 forums.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=1998+boxster&_sacat=0&_sop=2
KidDoc
AG
JamesPShelley said:

Best value out there, if properly sorted. I've had mine for 2 years, and it's more fun to drive than anything ever I've owned.

eBay is a good source. However, for extraordinary specimens visit the 986 forums.

Any idea on safety features of one this old? Hard to find info from pre 2000 models online.

Antilock brakes? Airbags side & front?

Thanks for the tip though it is a great looking year.
JamesPShelley
KidDoc said:

JamesPShelley said:

Any idea on safety features of one this old? Hard to find info from pre 2000 models online.

Antilock brakes? Airbags side & front?

Thanks for the tip though it is a great looking year.
Anti-lock brakes and the airbags are about the only safety features. Front and side airbags for driver and passenger. It's a car that you must be alert to drive. I purchased it for my wife... but she prefers the couch, er, Ford Edge. That thing almost drives itself and has so many bells and whistles it's maddening.

If you're handy with a wrench, that's a bonus. Small hands? Another bonus (for getting into tight spots with that wrench). I've gotten under and over the engine, and from the front side, to replace the motor mount... thermostat... water pump... oil pressure relief valve... air/oil separator... etc. Thankfully, wrenching is my hobby (thousands in tools) so I save ~$125+ an hour every time I pick up a tool.

The mid-engine placement becomes evident when you start navigating the twisties (curvy mountain roads)... it's unreal. I've blasted up the pass to my high-desert home going 100+ mph... and there was room for more. It's a fast car, but not necessarily off-the-line. Where it beats the competitors are the corners. I've learned the corner limits of my car, and it's unreal. It's like the tires are glued to the ground.

Last weekend to escape the heat wife and I drove the backside to Big Bear lake. Going home, down the mountain, it was like driving a roller coaster car... on rails. While other posters make great recommendations, you should test drive a Boxster, first generation (absent all the technology that renders the car a true analog vehicle).

Poke around on 986forum.com. There are some enthusiast cars for sale that, in my opinion, are absolute bargains.

Best wishes on your selection!
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.