Multiple Ecoboost Codes

1,667 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by nortex97
bkag9824
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
'13 Ecoboost with ~66k. Did a cursory search via the Google machine, but I trust the lot here (maybe foolishly) more than some of the other resources.

Truck has been sitting for the past couple weeks and made a short 5 mile drive this evening in anticipation of picking up a trailer. Check engine light came on and gave me P0172 and P0668. Turned truck off, let it set for a few minutes, turned back on, codes and engine light were gone.

Left truck running at idle for another 5 or so minutes, checked codes again and received: P0126, P0172, and P0175.

I cleaned all 3 sensors a few months ago with CRC cleaner, so not sure why I'm getting 172/175.

126 seems to be thermostat?
vansprinkle
AG
At 66k miles, have you done plugs yet? Another common problem is a dirty throttle body.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Check the coolant level and condition.

172 and 175 are rich conditions.

I'd start with cleaning IAT sensor and then look at plugs like stated above.
bkag9824
AG
Thanks for the responses.

Bought truck with ~65k on the odo and have plugs to change, just haven't gotten to them. Cleaned throttle body when I cleaned the sensors.

Will check coolant level (no sign of a leak since the truck was last run a couple weeks ago) and IAT sensor.
bkag9824
AG
Finally moved back to Texas and able to dig in a bit more on this truck (was shipped so no additional miles have been put on it).

Coolant level not perfect (a tiny bit below the cold fill line) and condition is perfect (looks almost brand new and checked out perfect on the simple tester).

Looked at and cleaned all 3 sensors again. The intake (motorcraft part CX2401) is pretty stained, but no debris on it. Other two looked good as new.

Going to replace the spark plugs next. In case that doesn't work, who/where would you recommend I take the truck to to have them put it on a better gauge system? The cheapo gauge I borrowed in Colorado was just that, cheap. And I'd like to have a bit more information without getting the usual stealership run around.
dubi
AG
Quote:

Going to replace the spark plugs next. BLAH BLAH BLAH
Why not replace them first then worry about the next step if that doesn't fix it.

FIFY

Seriously that does sound like something I would worry about.
bkag9824
AG
Fair point as I didn't appropriately explain my reasoning for a better diagnostic scan.

I intend to sell/trade-in the truck and want to ensure I completely fix the vehicle. I'd like to be a better informed seller for any potential buyer or dealership interaction.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Hey man, replied to your email.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
Welcome to the broke ecoboost club. The membership is large and growing daily
bkag9824
AG
Thank ya sir, just replied to yours.

Can chat through there.
Maverick06
AG
Can't keep my '11 boost out the shop lately. It has a hard 175k miles on it so it's to be expected but it's getting annoying. I've been diligent in preventative maintenance but it's the little things that are starting to wear out. Front end rebuild this week and a pesky o2 sensor that I haven't been able to troubleshoot myself.
nortex97
AG
High strung blown engines driving around 1500 pounds more vehicle than they could begin to handle without turbos will always be a problem past 100K. It's a lot cheaper for Ford to make these (from a CAFE and parts perspective; think about how many fewer pistons/crankshaft pieces etc. they make from turbo 6 and 4's vs. 8 and 6's.) They also have a disincentive to make trucks that last 200K plus.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.