Tesla Model 3 experience

4,387 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Bradley.Kohr.II
Flashdiaz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm probably going to regret this but thought i'd start an open dialogue about my personal experience with a Model 3.

first things first:
- no vanity plates
- sure there are alternatives to this car, there's alternatives to everything.

Ordering:
- If I were to add the time I actually spent with banks and Tesla purchasing it's probably less than the time I would spend at a dealership. HOWEVER, that time was spent over weeks.
- There wasn't great communication on what was going on behind the scenes but good communication on what they needed.
- Information not given in abundance but someone was always available to answer questions.
- most of the folks I talked to were young. Take that whichever way you want.
- The overall impression I got on the whole process is they were there to answer any questions but not walk you through things, that's what the internet is for. Which is fine with me because I like to research on my own instead of listening to someone.

Trade-in:
- fantastic. Took the VIN and mileage and came back with a number. didn't even request pictures which is a good thing in this case. The number was higher than carmax. They took care of all the paperwork.

Delivery:
- They drove the car to me. The guy worked for Tesla and answered all the questions I had. Did not go through the features unless asked. They drove the trade-in back.

Car:
- The interior is simple but well thought out. There is a lot of reliance on things working so those that like mechanical\manual controls will not like it. For example, the key can be tied to your phone so when you approach the car, it unlocks and is just on. Get in and drive away. When you park you just get out and leave, it'll lock itself and turn off. Makes me nervous to just park and leave without me shutting something down. We'll see if I get used to it.
- can change the responsiveness of the steering and braking and creeping (something I always felt was dumb on automatic cars). I want to say it feels more like a standard in that regard... will roll slightly if on a slope and i'm not pressing the accelerator (cant call it a gas pedal anymore (sorry for the ******y comment, it's happening already)).
- one area they can definitely improve upon is the paint. The colors seem basic to me and muted. You'll find more vibrant, richer colors on many other vehicles.

I have not had a chance to play with autopilot yet.

Anyways, thought i'd give a dissenting (and honest to my experience) opinion on the typical Tesla backlash.
tailgatetimer10
AG
I almost wish we would have all Tesla items in one thread. I find them interesting.. just think they should be consolidated to one discussion..

Oh and leave it to discussing the actual car itself, not the financial business.

There's 3 ongoing threads on the first page on the car, so sounds like it would be productive
Doug Collins
AG
I wish we had a single thread to consolidate all discussion about F150s and Super Dutys but such is life.

Thought his post was great and informative, unlike the dude asking for recommendations for his lame vanity plates or yet another thread debating the best way to level a truck or 5.0 vs. BOOOST.

I'm seriously considering buying a model 3, so it's good to hear about the actual purchase process and not the features. There's millions of youtube videos that have covered features, but very few walking thru how they handle delivery and trade-in.
BlueSmoke
Quote:

first things first:

- no vanity plates
Saw a Tesla on the tollway in Dallas with a vanity plate that read "Tessie"

Please. Don't be that guy. As it seems you are not.
Quote:

Listening to Lex Fridman on the JRE podcast. They've spent quite a bit of time discussing this very topic. Lots of interesting innovations. Apparently sensors require the weight of your hands to be on the wheel at all times.
Nobody cares. Work Harder
07ag
AG
have had my 3 for almost a year now, more than 12k miles, still love it

purchase/delivery was a bit of a hassle for me, but it was during an end of the quarter push for them last june. delivery had to be rescheduled once for 2 days later because the car hadn't made it to texas yet. they mailed paperwork to me that i needed to fill out and give them when i picked up the car that didn't make it to me in time, called them and they then emailed it to me (why wasn't it just emailed to begin with?). tesla couldn't arrange financing for me due to texas laws, but i found a recommended bank at a good rate on reddit.

but, didn't have to deal with a car salesman, could deal with most of the paperwork and other pre-delivery problems from my couch while i had a beer in my hand, so that was nice

the car is great, and is a better and quicker car than it was a year ago thanks to the free o.t.a. software updates. i'm sure it'll be an even better car a year from now.
Ag for Life
AG
07ag said:

purchase/delivery was a bit of a hassle for me, but it was during an end of the quarter push for them last june. delivery had to be rescheduled once for 2 days later because the car hadn't made it to texas yet. they mailed paperwork to me that i needed to fill out and give them when i picked up the car that didn't make it to me in time, called them and they then emailed it to me (why wasn't it just emailed to begin with?). tesla couldn't arrange financing for me due to texas laws, but i found a recommended bank at a good rate on reddit.

but, didn't have to deal with a car salesman, could deal with most of the paperwork and other pre-delivery problems from my couch while i had a beer in my hand, so that was nice

the car is great, and is a better and quicker car than it was a year ago thanks to the free o.t.a. software updates. i'm sure it'll be an even better car a year from now.
You left out the most important detail; what vanity plate did you get?
07ag
AG
BlueSmoke said:

Quote:

first things first:

- no vanity plates
Saw a Tesla on the tollway in Dallas with a vanity plate that read "Tessie"

Please. Don't be that guy. As it seems you are not.
Quote:

Listening to Lex Fridman on the JRE podcast. They've spent quite a bit of time discussing this very topic. Lots of interesting innovations. Apparently sensors require the weight of your hands to be on the wheel at all times.
due to many people misusing autopilot, you get many notices about "keep your hands on the wheel" "you're in control" "don't be an idiot" "this isn't full self driving yet" etc. when you activate it.

every 30 seconds or so you do need to put a bit of pressure on the steering wheel to tell it you're still paying attention, doesn't need to be "at all times". if you don't comply there are gradually more attention grabbing alarms, visual on the screen and audible (and quite loud). after a bit it will disengage, and you won't be allowed to turn it back on for the rest of the drive.

but, it does work very well for what it is. especially useful in stop and go commuting.
07ag
AG
Ag for Life said:

07ag said:

You left out the most important detail; what vanity plate did you get?
ELONSPOOLBOY

really though, i think all those vanity plates of "gas lol" whatever are pretentious and stupid, standard tx random characters for me
KurtK85
AG
Congrats on the 3!

I bought a used Model S back in January and am still amazed by the car. Autopilot has worked flawlessly for me, except for during a construction zone where lanes had been recently moved and the old stripes remained.

I've had GM trucks since 2001, so it was definitely quite the change.

Order experience wasn't as bad as others posted on the interwebs, but there was definitely room for improvement.

Thankful for the 4 yr/50k warranty on the used Teslas! So far, the only service I've needed was a simple recall, new lug nuts, and rear window motors.

We have a deposit on a Rivian SUV for my wife, but may not be able to fund that purchase until 2021-2022. After my S, I'd love an electric Truck.

*No vanity plate, just a black LP to match the car*
COAg15
AG
why do i want one so badly.
schmendeler
AG
should have gotten a minivan
ac04
this will probably be the next car i buy for my wife. but nobody tell her that yet please.
sts7049
AG
i don't have much interest in the model 3. i'm not really moved by the style, especially the interior. i think the model S is a much sexier car and would definitely consider it.
Complete Idiot
sts7049 said:

i don't have much interest in the model 3. i'm not really moved by the style, especially the interior. i think the model S is a much sexier car and would definitely consider it.
I agree, model S appearance is much more attractive to me. Used prices aren't bad (relative to new), can be had in the 40"s.
drumboy
AG
sts7049 said:

Me too, but I like luxo barges and don't really generally like the smaller models but I'd rock a 235i
YouBet
AG
Here in Dallas seeing a Tesla is like seeing Accords in the '90s. It seems like they are every fourth car on the road.
CanyonAg77
AG
It's always good to have threads on unique cars. Keep us updated.
Endo Ag
AG
I've posted before, but traded a BMW M3 and eventually sold my 150 for a model 3 performance. We have 21,000 miles on it since last August, since it's the only car in the family that leaves town.

Search my other posts for my long version thoughts, but for 95% of us, it is far and away the best car available. It'll be interesting to follow this board in the next three to five years. Assuming Tesla can figure out their business model, they will do some major damage to the legacy brands, all of whom have brought knives to the EV gunfight.

Gas cars have three advantages... long distance, especially when towing, and top speed, and price. The first problem needs to be solved. The second doesn't. The third is almost an education problem. A model 3 is price comparable to a similar gas, but only if you drive average to high mileage, and the cost is frontloaded.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
So I drove a loaner model S today, while waiting for my 3P to get prepped.

Ride and seats are very nice, but an alcantra interior did not age well. (This was a pre-grill change 85, so the current interior is a bit better, but not as well laid out as the 3)

If I had a family, I think I'd buy the S long range rather than the 3P.

I really enjoyed driving the 3P* back to the house, and it shouldn't be able to cost the ~$1/mile the e550 convertible did.

*Its some kind of weird mix of driving a go kart and an old Cadillac. Very nimble steering, incredible brakes and acceleration, but no feel of the road through the steering wheel, and it felt like I had to counter-steer, slightly, after lane changes, but the actually handling was pretty good.
Flashdiaz
AG
thought I'd update:

noticed slight swirl marks at delivery, they're going to see if they can take them out.

This car is a joy to drive.
The acceleration is very responsive and quick, even at highway speeds.

I do see more of these on the road now (not quite accord level) but more than before. Not sure if i'm just on the lookout more or if more have been delivered in my area. I guess we'll see in the Q2 deliveries number.

Autopilot:
- maintains distance from the car in front well considering cars going into and out of lanes (which happened a lot when I was on I10 in Houston).
- autosteering works well for what it does but I'm not ready to give it full control yet on new technology. Hands have to be on the wheel and it prompts you to move the steering wheel slightly so it knows you're paying attention.
- I have not really tested the autosteering fully because I tend to take control before I let it adjust when I sense something potentially happening like someone coming up beside me at a higher rate of speed and the lane merges... i'm not waiting to see who wins.
- I did let it take a single lane ramp from one freeway to another and it maintained the lane very well as well as adjusted the speed according to incline\decline and the curve.
BTD
Anybody financed a Tesla recently in TX? If so any recommendations?
CanyonAg77
AG
BTD said:

BTD
Lol. Leverage is a strength not a weakness when used by an intelligent person. Thanks tho.
CanyonAg77
AG
Just playing with you. Pro and Anti Dave Ramsey is a running gag here.
07ag
AG
BTD said:

i used alliant credit union last june and had a smooth process

https://ts.la/eric59704
Duncan Idaho
BTD said:

Is there a concern that some of the traditional lenders won't lend on a Tesla?
cav14
Congrats on your Tesla Model 3. I've had mine for 8 months now and it's been a joy to drive everyday especially when it keeps on getting upgraded through OTA software updates. Sentry mode/Dashcam is one of my favorite features of the car.
As far as getting used to using my phone as my key, I've gotten so used to the convenience of simply walking away from my car that when I've had to switch to driving a gas car, I've accidentally just left the keys in the ignition with the car still running.
BTD
Duncan Idaho said:

BTD said:

I've done minimal research... but I read some things online that made me believe it doesn't always go as smooth with some banks regarding Tesla. And Tesla doesn't currently offer its own financing in Texas. Most things online regarding Tesla point to credit unions, to which I'm flying blind.

Probably a non-issue but I'd rather go for a tried and true Texags / Tesla experience...rate being equal.

But I welcome further education on this.
bco2003
AG
cav14 said:

As far as getting used to using my phone as my key, I've gotten so used to the convenience of simply walking away from my car that when I've had to switch to driving a gas car, I've accidentally just left the keys in the ignition with the car still running.
drumboy
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

BTD said:

My wife works at a small community bank and they stopped lending on them. I think a voluntary repo came in with bad batteries and they lost a good bit. Dumb IMO but the old guys in charge said F it.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
Teslamotorsclub forum has a running list of financing for the Tesla. There's a credit union in Austin which finances them for ~1.9%, but you have to join in person.
07ag
AG
cav14 said:

Congrats on your Tesla Model 3. I've had mine for 8 months now and it's been a joy to drive everyday especially when it keeps on getting upgraded through OTA software updates. Sentry mode/Dashcam is one of my favorite features of the car.
i use the 'hold' and open the door to park my 3 often,, i'm a little worried one day i'll be driving my wife's car and try to get out with the engine running and in gear still, lol
https://ts.la/eric59704
KidDoc
AG
KurtK85 said:

Congrats on the 3!

I bought a used Model S back in January and am still amazed by the car. Autopilot has worked flawlessly for me, except for during a construction zone where lanes had been recently moved and the old stripes remained.

I've had GM trucks since 2001, so it was definitely quite the change.

Order experience wasn't as bad as others posted on the interwebs, but there was definitely room for improvement.

Thankful for the 4 yr/50k warranty on the used Teslas! So far, the only service I've needed was a simple recall, new lug nuts, and rear window motors.

We have a deposit on a Rivian SUV for my wife, but may not be able to fund that purchase until 2021-2022. After my S, I'd love an electric Truck.

*No vanity plate, just a black LP to match the car*
My Model S is up to 5 years/85k miles now and still looks and drives likes new. I'm very happy overall.

But the lug nuts are an issue. I hate the damn lug nut covers on top of what seem to be very soft and weak lug nuts that Tesla puts on there. On top of that the lug nut covers would always come off and it bothered the hell out of me when that happened.

So I splurged and bought some good shiny lug nuts for my Silver bullet. Worth it if you plan to keep the car a while and if you are OCD about getting balance & rotate every 5,000 miles like I do at Discount Tire.

https://evannex.com/products/gorilla-lug-nuts

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
I had an F150 with the same issue with lug nuts years ago
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.