Garage flooring options

1,867 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by flown-the-coop
Garrelli 5000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Would you prefer epoxy or tile finish? Is tile difficult to install? What would you expect to pay for tile per sqft if installing yourself?

I'm building a home and am considering having the garage flooring applied by the builder.

I've seen some of their work and it looks well done. As a home builder they're solid.

It is $2700 for an epoxy coating for about 700 sqft of garage floor, give or take. I think this is a decent price if it is a true professionally done epoxy coating. if it is them buying a few Sherwin Williams kits or Rustoleom its obviously a ripoff.

Dill-Ag13
AG
Depends how you'll use the garage. I didn't want to epoxy because I thought that jack stands might tear the floor up. Tile sounds like a bad time but again depends on usage.
Texker
AG
I got a quote or two when we moved into our current house last Fall and that sounds about right. I might be off base with this opinion but I would be hesitant to epoxy a new floor only because you have no history on how it handles moisture. Hopefully, someone with more experience will share their opinion.

Those garage tiles are intriguing as are the PVC sheet vinyl.

Garrelli 5000
AG
I'm not a wrencher. It'll be used to park the cars, store some lawn equipment, basic tools, etc. It'll have the occasional home assembly project, etc. No heavy duty equipment.

I did a DIY coating in my current home after we built it. It has held up fine. I like the treated floor for simplicity of cleaning spills, leaks, etc. I could DIY again but I feel like it is probably luck mine has held up well
Guitarsoup
AG
I love my checkerboard vinyl tile floor.
javajaws
AG
I've found the perfect garage flooring: It's relatively non-slip, doesn't get nicked up when sliding metal across it, and doesn't melt/burn from weld sparks. And over time it gains character from the paint and chemical spills I've slathered all over it. It's this product called concrete!
classicdoug
AG
I had vinyl tile done in mine. Same flooring as commercial buildings or grocery stores.

aggiedata
AG
classicdoug said:

I had vinyl tile done in mine. Same flooring as commercial buildings or grocery stores.

Very nice
what company did this and where?
txag2008
AG
That's Vinyl Composition Tile (VCT). Any flooring guy could do it.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
That vinyl looks great.

Dairy tile is meant to have heavy equipment etc driven on it, and isn't too slick if kept clean.

That vinyl does look really cool though

Epoxy really isn't that tough unless it's the trowel down stuff, at least, in a commercial environment
classicdoug
AG
Zwernemann flooring in Bryan did mine.
AgsMnn
AG
Where are you located?
evan_aggie
AG
Actually. I have to say the rustoleum pro kit has held up very well in our small garage. It was a 2 part epoxy, and looks pretty dang good.

I'd be hard pressed to believe a builder is going to do use any higher quality materials. It'd eat into their margins on thy $2700.

I researched SW 8001 armor and tileClad and all sorts of others. With a new slab all they have to do it make sure the dust is power washed off, so their prep should be even less. My wife and I used Xylene, power washed, etched, and then painted two coats, and top coated clear.

You've done it before...might as well do it again on a new slab. =)
flown-the-coop
AG
Builder liking going to use Ardex - its what we use. Price seems high but I would have to check. Imagine builder is banking 50% or more margin on a small option like this. Price can also depend on how much the concrete company and his labor crew wants to charge for it - think of it as a "do I want to f with this" factor.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.