2018 F150 Sync3 Bluetooth problem

1,501 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by rhoswen
rhoswen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bluetooth cuts out intermittently while listening to Spotify. Sometimes disconnects fully and goes to a different source. Whole digital stereo system is slow (i.e. takes a few seconds to turn off after pressing power knob, etc). Dealer suggested removing negative terminal from battery for an hour, which I did overnight and if anything, it's worse. I know I need to update the software but of course that takes forever. Anyone have any ideas before I have to leave the truck at the dealer for a day?
aTm2004
AG
Its' a Ford. You learn to live with it. The 2010 Maxima I have has a system light years ahead of the one that's in our 2013 Edge. Faster in every way possible, more responsive to touch, and doesn't **** up every month or so. Connects to my phone in an instant rather than a half mile down the road, steering wheel controls work all of the time vs. when it wants to.
Strongwind86
AG
Do the Sync update yourself. It's not that difficult.
Download the update on a thumb drive (there are instructions on the Ford/Sync website).
Follow the instructions and download into your truck. The update I did in my 2016 allowed me to convert to Android/Carplay with a new hub. That download took about 25 minutes in the truck.

(I think I posted the details previously - let me see if I can find it...)

Really not a big deal...

Also, you can do a soft rest when things get janky by simultaneously pressing the "audio power" button and the "fast forward/seek" for 5 seconds. The unit will shut down and restart. May lose some of your settings.

Or run everything through the cable/hub. I have ZERO issues running Carplay
rhoswen
AG
Thanks, strongwind. Doing the update is on my list of things to do. On a side note, when I try to play through the USB direct cable, it plays the music that's on my actual phone - not Spotify. I'm assuming that's just some setting somewhere I haven't toggled? I don't have any music on my phone so it's just ringtones.
rhoswen
AG
btw I HATED Android Auto.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Which version of Sync 3 are you using?

sts7049
AG
really? interesting...i think android auto is fantastic. super easy to play music with and use maps
Cassius
It's a Microsoft product, what do you expect?

I have the original Sync and it's completely worthless.
JeepWaveEarl
AG
In the sync itself you should be able to select the apps that you have displayed in the applecar... my spotify did not show up until I put the app on there through this method.

That said, I have a terrible time with my sync...half the time my apple car play won't initiate, it won't work at all unless it's plugged in. When my phone is plugged in, it won't play what's on my phone unless I disconnect and reconnect and when I've been on trips I've had to ruin my waze to disconnect and reconnect to get it to toggle to my Bluetooth (phone music) from my apple car play.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
...grateful for grace.....
Otto Braun 6/6/12-12/26/13
--cure pediatric cancer--
O'Doyle Rules
AG
Please keep discussion on topic -- Staff
jakeaggie84
AG
Does anyone have luck updating sync with WiFi? Tried it a couple times while parked in my garage and didn't work.
htxag09
AG
AGGODDESS said:

That said, I have a terrible time with my sync...half the time my apple car play won't initiate, it won't work at all unless it's plugged in.

Um, Apple car play is wired for just about all vehicles, i.e. it has to be plugged in to work. My wife's has wireless car play, but it's the first car that I've seen with it. Unless I'm misunderstanding this complaint.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
jakeaggie84 said:

Does anyone have luck updating sync with WiFi? Tried it a couple times while parked in my garage and didn't work.
I just put it on the USB and do it that way.
CovertChad
Have you taken it in to see if there is a software update that can be done? We do those sometimes and it helps.
Sponsor Message: Nobody beats a Covert deal. Not now, not ever!
www.coverthutto.com
JeepWaveEarl
AG
I was under the impression it would work without being plugged in... guess that's why. Admittedly, I got told nothing about it and just got a truck with it and started driving it lol
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
...grateful for grace.....
Otto Braun 6/6/12-12/26/13
--cure pediatric cancer--
rhoswen
AG
Updating now via USB. been sitting here about 30 minutes, but it's not done yet - just wanted to to point out that your USB has to be a 2.0, in case anyone else is having trouble. Mine was a new 3.1, and after a conversation with Ford support and copying the unzipped files over to a older thumb drive, it updated. Well, is updating. We'll see how successful this is - I'm not optimistic.
rhoswen
AG
Did not fix the bluetooth issue. Starting to remember why i didn't like Fords.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
rhoswen said:

Did not fix the bluetooth issue. Starting to remember why i didn't like Fords.
Did you delete the phone off your truck as well as deleting the truck off the phone?
rhoswen
AG
Several times. Neither were attached when I updated.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.