Owning a car will be as quaint as owning a horse

2,881 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Ed Torian
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Somewhat like the "Death of the IC engine thread"

https://texags.com/forums/46/topics/3011475/1

I suspect this will bring out the doubters of the opinion piece.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/22/opinion/end-of-cars-uber-lyft.html
Quote:

Owning a Car Will Soon Be as Quaint as Owning a Horse

The shift away from private vehicles will happen faster than we think.

I will die before I buy another car.

I don't say that because I am particularly old or sick, but because I am at the front end of one of the next major secular trends in tech. Owning a car will soon be like owning a horse a quaint hobby, an interesting rarity and a cool thing to take out for a spin on the weekend.

Before you object, let me be clear: I will drive in cars until I die. But the concept of actually purchasing, maintaining, insuring and garaging an automobile in the next few decades?

Finished.

I'm always amused by the opinion people who base everything on the way things are where they live.

I just got back from Washington, D.C.. Could I live up there without a car? Sure I could.

Out here, where my farm is 10 miles out in the country?

Not so much.

But then, in my part of the world, people own horses because they are still the best method to get certain jobs done. Nothing quaint about it. If you need to gather up a few hundred head from the canyons and pastures and get them to a pen, ain't no Uber driver in the world can help you with that.
Picard
AG
All idiots live in the city

Centerpole90
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

I'm always amused by the opinion people who base and want to legislate everything on the way things are where they live.

I know you meant to include the bolded, so I added it for you. After all, that's how they'll make sure you give yours up too, taxing it into oblivion.
coolerguy12
AG
If this world goes all Mad Max on us I'll be pretty excited to see the cars that come out of it. All the morons in the city will be stuck fighting over scraps of food and Centerpole will be out there throwing together some bad sh** with his son.

I'm sure at some point I'll ride in it even own a driverless car but you better believe I will always own something capable of taking the entire family where I make it go.
TxSquarebody
Never going to happen. EMP the world and I'll still have my old crap running. I will not be picking up hitchhikers either!
Corps_Ag12
AG
The pretentiousness of her article is astounding
hatchback
AG
Corps_Ag12 said:

The pretentiousness of her article is astounding

It's the NYT. What did you expect?
The Lost
I mean i wouldn't own one in ny where the cost to store it is as much as the payment a lot of times, but even here in progressive denver, if you actually have any desire to enjoy the beauty of colorado, it's impossible to not have a vehicle.

As others said, this lady is in her dumb bubble and forgets the rest of us exsist and everywhere isn't nyc.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Well, eventually it's going to happen, but not anytime soon.
MouthBQ98
AG
I think car subscription services may one day give urbanites all the vehicle support they need, or may help some suburbanites get an additional vehicle on an as needed basis or maybe subscribe to a "rideshare" to commute to work all from and to the same general location or similar once we have self driving cars.

I don't think that a wholesale replacement is likely any time soon simply due to cost.
Ciboag96
If you can't hoon a driverless car, then what good is it?
Dr. Doctor
AG
I read an article a long time ago that talked about this idea. Cars still exist, but on an "Uber" style. There are some who own cars, but most people call for rides whenever you need it. Since the cars drive themselves, you don't really need to own it.

And for those that want to own the car, you put the car out there when you don't need it. I think the idea was more of a taxi service/garage type. You might own 10 cars, but offer them all out for service.

The article was looking at gasoline usage and change if car ownership/users changed. Currently Japan has (had) 600 cars per 1,000 people. The US is higher (don't remember) and other countries are lower. They looked at moving cars around, but keeping the overall number the same and what it would do to gas usage.

I've tried looking for it but can't find it anymore.

~egon
TexasRebel
AG
It was a modest proposal...

...without all of the child eating, of course.
TriAg2010
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

I'm calling it now: she gets hit by a bus.
CanyonAg77
AG
TriAg2010 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

I'm calling it now: she gets hit by a bus.

Shall we start a betting pool? Killed by a .....

• Uber
  • Lyft
  • Taxi
  • Bus
  • Metro
  • Self-driving car
  • Horse.

I take horse, because that would be quaint.
MemorialTXAg
Wonder how many kids she has...
TexasRebel
AG
You think she owns goats?
JSKolache
AG
There is absolutely nothing coastal dwelling millenials wont lease in perpetuity. Just go find some new product or service you can rent to them for 1,200 monthly payments and youll become a billionaire in a week or two.
Ed Torian
Quote:

Since I first started driving I have named my cars: Cecil the Honda Civic, Jeanette the mighty blue Volkswagen Bug, Roger the Volkswagen Rabbit, Jerry the Jeep Wrangler, John the Jeep Cherokee, Alice the Honda Minivan, Sally the Subaru Outback, Abner the Mazda 3, Cindy the Mazda 5 and Frank.
Jesus, you can see the level of dykness increase with every vehicle. Any chance any of these vehicles didn't have a COEXIST bumper sticker?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.