SUV Recs

4,452 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AggieRob93
jh0400
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife is wanting to get a new car later this year. She has a Rogue currently, and wants to upgrade a bit. We've discussed and ruled out a Highlander Hybrid, Lexus RX/GX, Infiniti whatever, BMW X3/4/5 and most other domestics. One of her wants is "something that I don't see everywhere."

We haven't ruled out a LR Discovery, Alfa Romeo Stelvio (I love the way these look), and a Q5 even though they are plentiful. Is there anything that we missed that meets her "unique" requirement?
akaggie05
AG
G-Wagon
jh0400
AG
G Wagon would be nice, but I'm not spending that much. She really likes the GLE, but I'm not spending $70k on a car.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I kinda like the new Kia Telluride
YouBet
AG
Assuming you are in the midsize segment based on what you posted, the new Cadillac XT4 looks pretty nice.

The Volvo XC60 is nice but not if it has the driver monitoring camera that will call cops on you they are considering installing.

The Kia Telluride looks cool. Brand new and know nothing about it though.
jh0400
AG
XC60 is a contender. I forgot that one on my list.

The Telluride looks cool, but I don't know how I feel about owning the first year of a new model.
aTm_bomb
AG
Most of Telluride tech is already in other Hyundai/Kia models. Engine is same as the Kia Sorento and previous model Hyundai Santa Fe. Driver safety tech is used across their other models so very little is "all new" outside the body.

Besides, you have the longest warranty in the industry to support it.
88Warrior
The VW Atlas is pretty nice....
drumboy
AG
Q5 seems like the most vanilla seen everywhere suv.

The answer you're seeking is a Land cruiser.

Or a QX70 or Outback.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
hatchback
AG
YouBet said:

The Volvo XC60 is nice but not if it has the driver monitoring camera that will call cops on you they are considering installing.

https://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1122205_volvos-in-car-cameras-will-spot-slow-or-stop-drunk-or-distracted-drivers

Quote:

New Volvos built within the next five years may include cameras pointed at the driver to spot drunk or distracted driving and potentially stop the car, the automaker announced Wednesday in Sweden.

Considering that the US still doesn't allow for advanced headlight technologies offered in other parts of the world, I'll bet this is more than 5 years away from implementation in our country.

The Volvo would be my recommendation.

Salt of the water
AG
Jaguar f pace
Joe Exotic
AG
My wife has an X3. Love it. It's a stupid vehicle for what we need but it's really fun to drive.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
"Upgrade a bit" from a Rogue means Honda Pilot.
The Lost
I'd totally lease a discovery sport hse (if that makes sense for y'all). Test drove one a few years ago and loved it, it's just not something I'd buy or at least keep past warranty.
752bro4
AG
Bought the wife a new 2018 GLE 350 today. She's excited about it (gets it Wednesday). Was a dealer demo, 8K miles, $52k out the door.

It was my 3rd choice, behind xc90, and gx460, but it's not the hill I'm going to die on.
EMY92
AG
The Lost said:

I'd totally lease a discovery sport hse (if that makes sense for y'all). Test drove one a few years ago and loved it, it's just not something I'd buy or at least keep past warranty.
Land Rover does have nice loaner vehicles.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
akaggie05 said:

G-Wagon

All the housewives pullin up....
Cibalo
we had a Q5, fun to drive, expensive maintenance, and quality goes downhill at 50k miles.

If you want something unique that you don't see on the road get a Buick Enclave
Dill-Ag13
AG
G-Wagen with portal axles is the correct answer
reddog90
AG
200 Series TLC
Ronnie
AG
Just bought an Acura RDX - give it a try. Lots of cool tech, looks good too. They are getting pretty popular though, but I haven't seen that many on the road.
MemorialTXAg
akaggie05 said:

G-Wagon

Not sure where the OP lives, but G wagon is all over Houston. I guess she could do the 4x4^2. Ive only seen one today.
Flaith
AG
No Pressure said:

akaggie05 said:

G-Wagon

Not sure where the OP lives, but G wagon is all over Houston. I guess she could do the 4x4^2. Ive only seen one today.
YouBet
AG
No Pressure said:

akaggie05 said:

G-Wagon

I don't see that many of them in Dallas. I've seen more Lamborghini's than G wagons as ridiculous as that sounds.
AG
hatchback
AG
Or through Lakewood.
FTAco07
AG
Or take part in one of my favorite past times, walking around the Highland Park Village parking lot.

Last time I was at Honor bar, the valet had a G63, Lambo Huracan, Mercedes AMG GT63 4 door coupe (what a stupid name), and a new Aston Martin Vanquish all parked up front.
Dr. Nefario
Mazda CX-9

They're really nice, especially in the higher trims, have great driving dynamics, and they're not particularly common.

One reviewer's opinion:

https://gearpatrol.com/2019/02/18/2019-mazda-cx-9-review/
AggieRob93
AG
If you want to go with smaller, wait for X3M to arrive. A number of X3's on the road, but the M-sport will be a HOOOOOOONNNN. Am seriously thinking of "getting the wife" one just so I can drive it on occasion.

jh0400
AG
drumboy
AG
BlueSmoke
ICON Bronco
Nobody cares. Work Harder
Diet Cokehead
AG
AggieRob93 said:

If you want to go with smaller, wait for X3M to arrive. A number of X3's on the road, but the M-sport will be a HOOOOOOONNNN. Am seriously thinking of "getting the wife" one just so I can drive it on occasion.

X3M and X3 M-Sport are 2 different things.

X3M is the fun one.
AggieRob93
AG
Diet Cokehead said:

AggieRob93 said:

X3M and X3 M-Sport are 2 different things.

X3M is the fun one.
You are correct on all counts, DC. My mistake on use of M-sport when M was indeed the intended reference.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.