F-134 and Solex carb tuning

1,359 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by DeWrecking Crew
beastinBQ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm having some issues getting my CJ running. It'll turn over, then it struggles to keep running. Spark plugs, fuel pump and fuel line are all in good working order. I replaced the original carburetor with a Solex M34. It's really only got 2 adjustments - idle speed and fuel/air flow. The problem is I can't keep it running more than 2-4 mins, in order to accurately tune it.

Any tips? Also I live in liberty hill. I would gladly accept assistance in exchange for beer. Thanks!
DeWrecking Crew
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is a brand new carb? If not, definitely need to clean the jets.

Before you messed with the carb, did you set the valve clearances? And the timing?

If you spray carb cleaner at the base of the outside of the carb, does it suck it through the base when running ? (The engine will rev higher as confirmation). If so, you have a leak at the gasket.

After it stalls the first time, can you immediately start it for another 2-4 minutes or does it have to cool down before it will restart? The choke is supposed to adjust as the engine warms, not sure about a CJ but you might be able to see the choke mechanism with the air filter removed.

What rpm is it idling at when it's running?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.