Hot Wheels collecting?

1,857 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by hatchback
hatchback
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm thinking about getting into the world of collecting Hot Wheels cars. Well, I guess getting back into it since I stopped buying HW as 10 year old. Anybody on the auto board who does this or has any tips for a beginner?

From what I've heard, it's best to define your parameters to focus on specific color, time period, line of HW cars, etc. other than just what you like or which cars look cool.

I've given myself between $50 and $100 to get started and then maybe $10 a month to work on growing the collection.
Tim Weaver
No, but I love watching that dude on youtube who restores them....

Texker
AG
I still have mine plus the track and garage. Don't know much about collecting. I'd start with one of the clubs like North Texas Diecast Collectors Club or South Texas Diecast Collectors. I think DFW Diecast has monthly events. There's also a show coming in early April. https://northdallastoyshow.wixsite.com/toys
jbeaman88
AG
I'm a casual collector of mostly production or race car based cars and trucks. Buy mostly new Hot Wheels and remove them from the packaging for display in my office but also buy JL, Matchbox, Greenlight and Auto World. Collections include Ford trucks, Mustangs, Ford GT/GT40, TV/movie cars, Batmibiles, Ferrari, Chargers, 60s muscle, Corvette, etc.

Don't have too much advice other than to do what makes you happy.
Several years ago I purchased some Racing Champion tribute cars for Stevie Ray Vaughan.

I left them all in the original packaging for display. Kept them out of direct sunlight/bright light in a display case.

The problem now is the clear plastic (blister pack) that incased the cars has turned a horrible brownish color.

Is there anything that can be done?

I have a feeling I will just have to live with it, which is unfortunate since I took extra steps to keep it from happening.
txag2008
AG
TommyGun
AG
My wife's grandfather is an avid collector and has thousands of cars. He goes to shows all across the US and networks with collectors from around the globe. He has a room in his shop about 15'x30' that holds his collection.
Gibbs Slap
AG
Hot Wheels Redline Club
Redline Club
hatchback
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.