I think the lifters went bad (again) on my Sierra

3,020 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 91AggieLawyer
SanAntoneAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Driving home from work this evening (Seguin to SA) I noticed a click sound followed by a loud series of taps as my 2010 Sierra Z71 would go from 8V to 4v. Oil pressure eventually dropped to zero, idiot light came on (low oil pressure) so I pulled over and had it towed home. Considerable engine noise (loud taps) when I pulled it over.

I had one bank of lifters changed out last summer. When that occured it was mostly just loss of power without the issues that occurred today. The machanic who did the lifter work at the time told me that it was a matter of time before the others would go out.

Truck just turned 200,000 miles last week.

Any ideas on what I'm looking at? Lifter replacement? New engine? Sell it for scrap?
TxSquarebody
Lifters tapping is secondary to oil pressure failure. Think more along the lines of bearings. My guess is you either lost a main or float the cam bearings. In my opinion, cam bearing are the weak link in LS engines.
Silvy
AG
I'll give you $500

If you want to keep the truck, you should be looking at a DOD delete kit/all new lifters, and a cam. This would just about prevent any future lifter issues. Get a quote from a speed shop that specializes in GM vehicles
Doug Glatt
AG
Had it happen to my 2008. Unfortunately it all happened quick enough that it was only marginally more $$ to throw in a new crate motor than to rebuild.
I got rid of the truck after another transmission issue and the second transfer case started to go 6 months later.
Pretty sour on gm after that experience
Corps_Ag12
AG
I'm curious how many miles you had if you had a second transmission AND transfer case.
Doug Glatt
AG
Original transmission, just had to have work done on it. Not sure if it was related to the original transfer cause going out. They put a refurb in at 55k and it went out near 100k.
Motor went out near 80k
Old Sarge
AG
These current GM truck motors are beginning to remind me of the GM 305s of the early 80s.

Those that remember will know my reference.
Silvy
AG
BigPuma
AG
Now have it done under 75k miles in a 3 month period. consider yourself lucky you got a whole 8 months out of the lifters.
SanAntoneAg
AG
So, I boiled my options down to 1) going with a junkyard engine with 104,000 miles. It would have cost me $2,300 plus $700-$1,000 for installation, or 2) rebuild. I went with the rebuild.

And the results are in. The truck was in the shop for two weeks.

One of the lifters was torn all to hell (half the roller was gone, as were both of the thin sidewalls) and the cam was scored.

Cam $456
16 lifters $720 (8 were $65 each, 8 were $25 each)
Rings and bearings $120
Gasket set $200
Oil pump $200
Shop supplies $60

Remove and reinstall engine 13 hours $880
Rebuild engine 8 hours $640

I opted to get a new, well, remanufactured torque converter since the engine was out. What's another $400 anyway at this point?

Nearly $300 tax

Total ~$3,900

Six month warranty. Now I need to decide whether and/or how long I keep it...interior and exterior are in good shape. I wonder how long the transmission will last?
Dill-Ag13
AG
Dude I'm so glad you posted here and took Silverado's advice...

You got boned, well done
Silvy
AG
Lol
Corps_Ag12
AG
You might as well trade it in since you didn't solve the problem.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

Dude I'm so glad you posted here and took Silverado's advice...

You got boned, well done
Ag for Life
AG
&f=1
sts7049
AG
or he can wait until next summer when they fail again and then fix it right
91AggieLawyer
AG
Old Sarge said:

These current GM truck motors are beginning to remind me of the GM 305s of the early 80s.

I remember. Not 350 diesel POS caliber but still in their own league. Kind of funny since some reference I saw recently said the Chevy 305 was a good motor.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

. Kind of funny since some reference I saw recently said the Chevy 305 was a good motor.
C Loves L
Old Sarge said:

The same 305 engines that could easily be taken over 200k in miles with little or no issues?
txags92
AG
My experience with the 305s was that the motor was fine, it was all the pieces GM attached to it that weren't worth a damn. I remember replacing the water pump, alternator, starter, fuel pump, brake master cylinder, and ac compressor about every 80k on my camaro and truck that had the 305.
C Loves L
txags92 said:

My experience with the 305s was that the motor was fine, it was all the pieces GM attached to it that weren't worth a damn. I remember replacing the water pump, alternator, starter, fuel pump, brake master cylinder, and ac compressor about every 80k on my camaro and truck that had the 305.

I could see that. I've been into 3rd gen Camaros for some time now. The biggest complaint ive seen with the 305 is lack of power and all the emissions crapola attached to it.

My IROC had its 305 ditched by its former owner and swapped a 350 tpi. Right now I'm having several things installed on it to include an entire new serpentine system swap

What did you have?
Cassius
txags92 said:

As far as those particular parts, that sounds like most vehicles I owned back in the 70s. And I owned GMC, Ford and Chevy.
91AggieLawyer
AG
C Loves L said:

Old Sarge said:

The same 305 engines that could easily be taken over 200k in miles with little or no issues?

What specific vehicles did you take the 305 to 200K to in?
txags92
AG
C Loves L said:

txags92 said:

I could see that. I've been into 3rd gen Camaros for some time now. The biggest complaint ive seen with the 305 is lack of power and all the emissions crapola attached to it.

My IROC had its 305 ditched by its former owner and swapped a 350 tpi. Right now I'm having several things installed on it to include an entire new serpentine system swap

What did you have?
I had a 78 Camaro RS and a 86 GMC pickup, both with the 305.
C Loves L
I had a 84 Z28 that I sold with 18X,XXX miles, the buyer bought it for the motor because it was being used for racing at the Cotton Bowl in Paige TX.

I'm a member of another forum where the TBI and TPI are the common motor for said forum. I've also seen many online for sale with lots of mileage on them. Not so many these days as the TPI cars and engines are becoming more and more rare (3rd gen fbody) I've never read or have known the 305 to be an unreliable engine.
91AggieLawyer
AG
My experience, admittedly, is mixed. Most of those I knew who had them in trucks had issues. Some serious issues. We had 3 vehicles with 305s: a 77 or 78 Monte Carlo (my sister trashed it; we fixed it up and sold it; buyer totaled it 2 weeks later -- no serious engine issues), a 79 or 80 El Camino and an '83 Cutlass. None of those 3 likely ever got near 200K. In another one, a friend had a Trans Am with the HO version that got jacked and he got the car back but the engine had been taken out. Insurance couldn't find a replacement so they put in the regular 305. He was not pleased. At least 3 I know that had 305s in trucks had some serious problems.

To a person, everyone who owned a car with a 305 that I knew would have rather had the 350. That isn't necessarily the case with the Ford 302.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.