2016 F-150 broken into

2,659 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by agdoc2001
SLF11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tried finding some of the older threads but didnt have much luck...

I was hit last night in my "secured" garage apartment in San Antonio. It looks like they pulled the latch out on the front driver's side and grabbed the apparatus connecting to the door and twisted it with some channel lock pliers. the keyhole is now off axis and i can't lock the door.

it is a chrome handle and it doesn't look like there was any paint damage. Anyone have any experience with getting this fixed?
Mr. Dubi
I fixed this problem by trading my F150 on a WRX.

But seriously if they got into the truck without doing any body damage, replace the door handle and add Jimmi Jammers. It will keep them from punching the handle again, but then you'll likely wind up with a $1300 body shop bill to fix the door.
Burdizzo
AG
I fixed mine myself. You will need a new handle and a lock cylinder. Total cost for parts will be ~$100. You will also need to paint to match.

When I rebuilt mine I packed a boatload of JBWeld putty back around where the lock cylinder clicks into the handle. I don't know how well it will hold, but it may slow them down. Also installed Jimmi Jammers and upgraded to some Polk Audio speakers while I had the door panel off.

Some people I know buy a handle for the rear door that has no spot for a lock cylinder and then just use the fob to unlock the door. Only downside to that is if your battery dies you're screwed.

Here was my thread

https://texags.com/forums/46/topics/2977846
lotsofhp
AG
Man I'm so sorry to hear that.

Exact same story here. 2016 F-150 where they broke into the driver door handle. Looked like the easiest thing on earth to do. Lock cylinder was just a little off centered and it made it impossible to lock the truck.

50k for a truck you would think they would be a little harder to break into.

Im in San Antonio also btw. 1604/Bulverde area

When I had the lock fixed the last time, I had a rear handle without a lock cylinder installed. As mentioned above, hopefully the battery never goes out and leaves me locked out. But that lock cylinder had to go.

I feel your pain man. Sorry it happened to you too
Dr. Doctor
AG
Just remember you can jump start your truck (or car) with the starter if the battery dies.

Get under it, connect the red jumper cable to the starter and then negative to the frame. Will take a minute to juice up the battery, but will provide enough that you can then unlock the car and then open the hood to access the battery.

Helped a random employee at a plant do that after he left his lights on all day and he locked his keys inside (number pad to unlock).

~egon
lotsofhp
AG
Dr. Doctor said:

Just remember you can jump start your truck (or car) with the starter if the battery dies.

Get under it, connect the red jumper cable to the starter and then negative to the frame. Will take a minute to juice up the battery, but will provide enough that you can then unlock the car and then open the hood to access the battery.

Helped a random employee at a plant do that after he left his lights on all day and he locked his keys inside (number pad to unlock).

~egon
Oh wow, didn't know that! Thanks for the tip!
Burdizzo
AG
The frustrating issue for me as a Ford loyalist is how long this has been a known issue with the doors and Ford's inaction. 1agswitchin pointed out to me that other manufacturers have cheap door handles too. Well, ok, fine. Everybody else's door handle sucks too, but I was hoping Ford would try harder so they didn't suck like everyone else.
txyaloo
AG
Dr. Doctor said:

~egon
You can also go through a license plate light bulb socket if you don't have access to the starter. Generally easier to access than the starter on a low car or one with underbody cladding. 2 paperclips to act as probes and the jump starter.

I assume you could blow up a BCM or LCM if the car has one, but I've done it to my BMW several times with no issues.
tailgatetimer10
AG
You've got me thinking.. of a jump start tool that can plug into the 120v plug in the bed
agdoc2001
AG
Amazing that I knew what city this happened in before even clicking on the thread.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Dr. Doctor
AG
You'd have to look at a wiring diagram for that; just need something that doesn't have a restriction between the battery and the point. I know the starter has a direct, large wire line from the battery to the starter.

~egon
Burdizzo
AG
Power inverters usually don't work in reverse. This isn't like being an electrician on the west side of San Antonio.
tailgatetimer10
AG
Burdizzo said:

Power inverters usually don't work in reverse. This isn't like being an electrician on the west side of San Antonio.

Didn't think about it long enough before posting.

Ac to DC is whole new ordeal. Please ignore
Burdizzo
AG
This is texags. We are going to have fun at your expense.
txyaloo
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

Burdizzo said:

If you have a truck with a 7 pin trailer connector, you can feed power/ground through it to get enough juice to unlock the doors.
EskimoJoe
txyaloo said:

tailgatetimer10 said:

Burdizzo said:

If you have a truck with a 7 pin trailer connector, you can feed power/ground through it to get enough juice to unlock the doors.

as long as the constant hot pin isn't on switched power.
BigPuma
AG
agdoc2001 said:

Amazing that I knew what city this happened in before even clicking on the thread.
lets be honest there were 6 guesses that nobody would have been shocked about.
tailgatetimer10
AG
txyaloo said:

tailgatetimer10 said:

Burdizzo said:

After much consideration, and a non F150 owner, I've concluded that:
I would purchase the battery tender junior and hardwire the cable it comes with, in an area where I could access it with the hood closed.

Case closed boys, swap out your door handles and wire it up
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Free roadside assistance for 5yr /60K includes lock out.

After that, use AAA to get in it.

Even I have AAA (free tows for all the projects that follow me home).
Dos Tortugas
AG
Same thing happened to me in the Alamo Heights area. Even after getting it fixed i still have troubles with the auto lock feature on my 2016 Lariat. It sucks.
Burdizzo
AG
gooseegg01 said:

Same thing happened to me in the Alamo Heights area. Even after getting it fixed i still have troubles with the auto lock feature on my 2016 Lariat. It sucks.

Yep, mine was at The Quarry.

I think they like to hit La Canterra too. I hear tell NRA/gun type stickers make you a target because they like to see if you leave your carry in the console .
agdoc2001
AG
BigPuma said:

agdoc2001 said:

lets be honest there were 6 guesses that nobody would have been shocked about.
Fair enough.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.