F-250 check coolant additive

1,345 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BrazosDog02
Col. Steve Austin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We bought a low mileage used Super Duty with the Turbo Diesel a few months ago. We recently got the "check coolant additive" message on the system display. I know this is just a notification based on mileage that the concentration level needs to be checked then topped up if necessary.

For those that have the Ford diesel, how do you deal with this? There seems to be some test kits available but they are kind of pricey and I believe they are a one use type kit. Do you take it to the dealer or another shop where they can check the level?
I am not the Six Million Dollar Man, but I might need that surgery. "We have the technology, we can rebuild him!"
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Acustrip is what most dealers use.

There are others around the same price.
Jason Ag
AG
I drive an old ford diesel, so I don't know for sure it is applicable to you. I flushed my system and replaced with Shell Rotella ELC coolant for diesel engines. It doesn't need an additive to prevent cavitation. Something to keep in mind the next time a the water pump needs changed, etc.
aad03
AG
Acustrip 328-2050, and Acustrip 328-071ELC

I think they sell them in singles or packs of 10. Either way, watch YouTube and do it yourself. Don't assume the grease monkey at the dealership knows what he's doing.
Class of '03
Col. Steve Austin
AG
aad03 said:

Acustrip 328-2050, and Acustrip 328-071ELC

I think they sell them in singles or packs of 10. Either way, watch YouTube and do it yourself. Don't assume the grease monkey at the dealership knows what he's doing.
I'll look into it, thanks!
I am not the Six Million Dollar Man, but I might need that surgery. "We have the technology, we can rebuild him!"
BrazosDog02
AG
I dumped the yellow crap in my ford diesel and ran some two step fleetguard acid flush bull**** through it and replaced the whole mess with ELC. Why on earth is ford not using red ELC Out of the factory??? Is there a reason?
BurnetAggie99
Good video here going over some stuff but Poly Organic is the way to go.

BrazosDog02
AG
Shell or Mobil ELC is all I will use. Think I have to defer to what International recommends.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.