so my wife has fallen in love with a Subaru crosstrek

4,267 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by RVAg02
AggieChemist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aside from the fact that she's obviously a lesbian and I should pursue the threeway, is there any reason not to buy one of these?

They seem to have good reliability ratings, the AWD is nice here in the mountains.

The one thing that scares me is it has a CVT, but I guess a lot of companies are going that way. Anything I need to be wary of with the CVT? My buddy had one in an old Dodge like 10 years ago and it was a complete piece of dog *****
Scriffer
AG
They're slow as balls. I *very* briefly looked at them awhile back, and it was to the point that I considered it unsafe in Dallas traffic. Y'all may not have the same highway traffic in WV that we do, but being underpowered like that in the mountains is concerning too.
Flaith
AG
the downside is it's foooking slooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

same 0-60 time as a Prius
TitanAGGIE09
AG
2009 Chrysler CVT =/= Subaru CVT
2019 Chrysler CVT =/= Subaru CVT

If your wife likes the car and you don't have any issues with the power you're good.
AggieChemist
AG
Scriffer said:

They're slow as balls. I *very* briefly looked at them awhile back, and it was to the point that I considered it unsafe in Dallas traffic. Y'all may not have the same highway traffic in WV that we do, but being underpowered like that in the mountains is concerning too.
Sounds like I need to get out of town on a test drive and see how it pulls the climbs.
Waltonloads08
AG
Lol at the people talking about this car being underpowered for city driving.

Try daily driving an 80 series LC. It's like driving a tractor in traffic. Granted, I feel pretty safe with it's size and weight.
Waltonloads08
AG
Also obviously my point is that a Land Cruiser is a better idea
MouthBQ98
AG
They seem pretty cool and utilitarian to me, but that's from a guy that admires the technical excellence of Subaru's AWD system, drives a hatchback as a commuter car 100 miles a day, and is entirely comfortable driving a car with a 10+ second 0-60 time in any kind of traffic situation because I can judge relative motion well.
Macarthur
I think they're cool, too.

And I don't get the hate for the CVT. The engine is a bit underpowered, but I've got a honda w/ the CVT and it's fine.
'03ag
I think the issue is they have a history of failing early(100k or less) and then being unrepairable. But I have no idea if that was manufacturer specific or inherent to CVTs
Picadillo
Have had the same Subaru boxer 4 & CVT on a larger model 3+ years with no problems in city driving. Adequate power, but not underpowered (and I have owned some high powered exotics) Well made car, great MPG and very reliable. Awesome resale values.
drumboy
AG
I'm the biggest Subaru nuthugger here and I've never been in one but I hear they're fuel efficient yet underpowered. I'm sure it would be fine with a couple folks in the mountains but 5 deep with luggage and a 7 percent grade might be slow.

Ive seen a couple lifted Outbacks this week in CO and I wish I could rent one. Had to pay $130 for chains yesterday for the passenger van.

[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
Woods Ag
AG
We just got rid of ours at 110k miles.

There is no power, but it's great for snow.
We replaced 3 axles (2 front, 1 rear) because of failing ball bearings. 1 about every 30k miles. The third one we replaced I got to speak with the mechanic at Subaru who told me it's a common issue.
We got rid of it when it started shaking crazily above 75mph. My wife drove 99 in houston everyday so she was mainly driving 75+

Great gas mileage. No issues with the CVT
Got a JGC Trailhawk with a 5.7 Hemi as the replacement, so we went in the exact opposite direction after owning the Subaru
aTm2004
AG
OP will be having his conversation in a few months.

Dill-Ag13
AG
I had an Impreza with the same powertrain (2.slow, cvt) and sold it because it couldn't outrun a fart. The CVT is reliable though, never had any issues.
sts7049
AG
Picadillo said:

Have had the same Subaru boxer 4 & CVT on a larger model 3+ years with no problems in city driving. Adequate power, but not underpowered (and I have owned some high powered exotics)
pics or it didn't happen
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I'm really digging the Subaru Ascent.

Ironically I was listening to the Motorweek podcast (an older one) and they were really talking about how much they like Subaru's lineup these days.
Broba Fett
Get an Outback with the 6 cylinder if she's hung up on Subaru.
ratfacemcdougal
From my brother in Chromo (south of Pagosa Springs)

"2017 and loving it.

The only car in the neighborhood that hasn't been stuck this winter. Hooya!!"

ps We miss your trout posts on the OB
Ed Torian
Broba Fett said:

Get an Outback with the 6 cylinder if she's hung
I think we established she is.
drumboy
AG
Broba Fett said:

We were snowed in yesterday in Pagosa and the guy down the street that lent us gas for the snow mobiles had a 3.6 Outback along with his 4x4 F250. I asked how it handled the rural hood dirt roads in the winter and he said it was better than his truck.

I wish my wife liked Subies. . (And not granola ladies)
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Macarthur
drumboy said:

Broba Fett said:

We were snowed in yesterday in Pagosa and the guy down the street that lent us gas for the snow mobiles had a 3.6 Outback along with his 4x4 F250. I asked how it handled the rural hood dirt roads in the winter and he said it was better than his truck.

I wish my wife liked Subies. . (And not granola ladies)
Yeah, my inlaws have an outback with the 3.6 and it's a great car. We're in San Antonio so it doesn't do any bad weather, but it's great.
KY AG
AG
Drove a 6-speed diesel Cross Trek across Switzerland a few years ago (and wrecked it in Lausanne). The manual/boxer diesel combo was a lot of fun.
Flaith
AG
KY AG said:

The manual/boxer diesel combo was a lot of fun.
WHY CAN'T WE HAVE NICE THINGS IN THE US?!
AggieChemist
AG
ratfacemcdougal said:

Pearls before swine
AgEng06
AG
AggieChemist said:

ratfacemcdougal said:

Pearls before swine
Ouch... haha
drumboy
AG
Talked to the old lady driving this bad boy and she bought it from a deal in San Antonio with the "Hill country package". Lift, A/T tars and a metal skid plate.

txag11
AG
Honestly I can't say enough good things about Subaru. Had a 2016 Forester manual transmission up until Saturday. That thing was such a beast in the snow. Never had any issues getting through 12". That said, one of the main reasons I went for the forester over the crosstrek was the power in the engine. I just got a 2019 Forester Premium with the lCVT and so far it's pretty kick ass I must say. I am excited to push the X-Mode this summer on the 4wd roads. Only place that 2016 lacked was the ability to generate torque at low RPM. I got to the point of burning clutch on some steep 4wd roads before and just had to turn around and park.
OregonAggie
AG
My only contribution here is to inform the OP that his wife is actually a lesbian.

Hey OP..uhhh your wife is a lezzy

I forgot to mention that I will echo the recommendation of an Outback. I had one for a year as a work vehicle and loved the damn thing. Everything about it.

Hopefully you can convince her to get one of those.
drumboy
AG

Now I want to get a WRX wagon and lift it.

SteveA
AG
Quote:

Holy ****, is that a thing!?!?!
dubi
AG
SteveA said:

Quote:

WRX wagon used to be a thing.

Now you can only get a sedan.
drumboy
AG
dubi said:

SteveA said:

Quote:

I meant a used one. Dude that bought mine lifted it an inch or so and put some ATs and fog lights on it.

aTm2004
AG
drumboy said:

dubi said:

SteveA said:

Quote:

I meant a used one. Dude that bought mine lifted it an inch or so and put some ATs and fog lights on it.

Dill-Ag13
AG
dubi said:

SteveA said:

Quote:

A few forum gurus have swapped WRX powertrains into the crosstrek
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.