Any of you into RC cars?

4,575 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by IWannaGoFast1
Dill-Ag13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thinking about buying an entry-level model. Sub $100 is great. Either a buggy or a stadium truck. Any recommendations?
aggieforester05
AG
I've got a sweet Tyco Rebound I picked up of eBay a couple of years ago. Not really fast, but just good fun.

n_touch
Traxxas LaTrax. It is a little above $100 but a good little car. We have one and it is a good learning car. Where are you located? There is a shop in Houston at Grant and 249 that always has a good selection. The Latrax is the smaller one on the right. Be careful in what you get, it can grow to become and expensive hobby with all of the add ons and different things you can do with the bigger faster cars.

This is the thread from 2017. Traxxas Thread

tk for tu juan
Dill-Ag13
AG
I grew up with Traxxas, will check out the LaTrax, thanks
lotsofhp
AG
That's awesome! Love those old blazers. Sharp
Tim Weaver
If you get something that is awd you can wrap the tires in electrical tape and have an instant drift car. So much fun can be had learning to sideways.

I have a Team Associated SC10 truck with brushless and lipo. It's rediculously fast, as evidenced by the broken diff that I haven't fixed....
BigNastyNate
AG
I did a ton of research on entry level RC cars around Christmas, ended up getting my 2 older boys Arrma Fazon Voltage... they are 1/10 scale and more awesome than I could've imagined. Really fast, extremely durable, so much fun I ended up ordering one for myself .

You want to go hobby grade if you want to be able to fix them, upgrade, etc...

My 3 year old was pretty jealous so I got him the LaTtaxx Desert Prerunner... it's a great car as well, but they're 1/18 scale so just smaller, and not quite as fast, but an awesome little car nonetheless.

I'd recommend picking the scale you want and that will probably help you make a choice.

FWIW LaTraxx is some type of subsidiary of Traxxas, which is the most well known brand but also has a reputation for being a premium brand. The Fazon Voltge is $99.99... LaTraxx Desert Prerunner something like $119.99.

They are fun toys, especially if you have kids that like to go fast!

Dill-Ag13
AG
Thank you! Exactly what I was looking for, buying one of those.
Silvy
AG
That was the best RC car I had when a kid
Picard
AG
Blackfoot anyone? Those were the days....

Garrelli 5000
AG
I got a badass Kyosho Ultima when I was in 6th grade.

Someday I'll get another kit. I'd rather put it together myself. It seems like 95% of them are pre-assembled these days.

aggieforester05
AG
silverado_lover said:

That was the best RC car I had when a kid
Me too, that's why I picked up a clean ebay unit a couple of years ago. It's fun watching the kids enjoy the same stuff I did when I was their age. These cars are unstoppable.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Ended up buying an Arrma Fazon Granite. It's a lot of truck for $100. My 2 y/o loves it.

ac04
i bought my 7-year-old son a traxxas stampede for christmas and we're both already hooked. fun as hell. buying myself one soon so we can run them together.
JB
AG
Wife got me a Bomber RR10 for Christmas. Got to pick up a battery for it today so I can try it out.
Dill-Ag13
AG
That's awesome. I still use the blue arrma all the time
mm98
AG
Got my son a Stampede last December. Its fun. Wish he would use it more.
Nom de Plume
AG
So, growing up I never had the funds for an Ultima but always wanted one.

Fast forward 25 years...

A few years ago I bought my older son a Stampede, and we were hooked. I "had" to get an Xmaxx, bought my other son a Rustler VXL 4x4 and Mustang. It's a blast to race/rock crawl, break, fix and upgrade these things. But it is absolutely a bottomless money and time suck. Traxxas support is awesome, though, and ships fast in Texas (McKinney).
Ag for Life
AG
Finally took the plunge and a Traxxas Slash 4x4 and Rustler 4x4 are under the tree for my 2 boys. Got a 2 port plug in charger too. Any spare parts I should get for Christmas shenanigans and for sure breakage?

I'm so tempted to get a nitro one for myself...
ac04
two extra batteries. they burn through them pretty quick and it's nice to just pop another battery in and keep playing while you have them out.
Ag for Life
AG
ac04 said:

two extra batteries. they burn through them pretty quick and it's nice to just pop another battery in and keep playing while you have them out.

Good call, I'll grab a couple more.
n_touch
Get yourself one too. They are a lot of fun. Extra batteries are always good. On all of our Traxxas I have changed the posts and frame to make them lower and better their center of gravity. You will learn fast how easy it is to roll when turning.

DaveHimself
AG
I've got a nitro gas car that is too much maintenance for my son. Anybody know a site, (or brick & mortar store in DFW) that would possibly trade for an electric?

Funny/not funny story, I fixed this car up last Christmas for my son (been stored for 7-8 years and had it "tuned up"). Took it out to an empty high school parking lot the day after Christmas to use it for the first time.
Throttle stuck the first time my son ran it and t-boned a curb at full speed. Surprisingly the damage was minimal, but back to storage it went where it's been for almost a year now.
TecRecAg
AG
I've owned a couple of T-Maxx. A 1.5 and a 3.3. Tons of fun but man they get expensive quick.
SnowboardAg
AG
My son has a stampede and it is a lot of fun. Fixed it numerous times and been thru 2 sets of tires so far. It's like Home Depot in pre-Covid, the truck costs min $100 every time we visit the hobby shop.

Somewhat funny story, at the shop I see probably 30-40 used rc cars lined up. I asked the guy what's the story here? He says they run a service department and charge $40 / hr labor on top of parts. I asked who does this - he said mainly the 30-50 yr old crowd that wants to play, but too tied up to fix. Heck of a business idea - tried to encourage my son to start doing this from the house.
IWannaGoFast1
AG
DaveHimself said:

I've got a nitro gas car that is too much maintenance for my son. Anybody know a site, (or brick & mortar store in DFW) that would possibly trade for an electric?

Funny/not funny story, I fixed this car up last Christmas for my son (been stored for 7-8 years and had it "tuned up"). Took it out to an empty high school parking lot the day after Christmas to use it for the first time.
Throttle stuck the first time my son ran it and t-boned a curb at full speed. Surprisingly the damage was minimal, but back to storage it went where it's been for almost a year now.

Mebbe...Whats the truck?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.