'18 Silverado with suspension issue - dealer offers weird solution

2,936 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TexasRebel
Towns03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hello AB, I'd love some advice on a truck that's still under warranty.

my 2018 z71 sags low on the port side (left side) by about 1.5". I took it to the dealer by my house and he says the tech measured everything and the suspension is fine, but the body is what is sagging. they ended up putting a spacer UNDER the rear/left leaf spring which brought the delta between port and starboard to about .5".

1) should I be OK with that? It seems like I had a cosmetic problem before, but now I have a real catawampus and a-symmetrical suspension with their 'fix'.

2) what's the biggest chevy/truck forum online? maybe others have seen this problem and have ideas.

I've seen two of my exact models on the road. one had the same lean and the other was straight and even (I even measured).

TIA
Texmid
AG
I would absolutely not be ok with that "solution".
Aero95
AG
Was it always that way, or did something change?

If it were me, I'd pay a little to go to a frame/alignment rack and make a lot of measurements and see if the structure is straight. I wouldn't trust the dealer to inspect anything and tell you the truth. If you can come back with real data, then you can force the issue.
Towns03
AG
I've called several times since I saw the fix myself (when I picked it up it was raining and I didn't feel like getting by shirt wet) and finally talked to the agent again this morning. It doesn't sound like the dealer wants to do the job right, however that looks. They say this was the fix GM told them to try. He also says to level the body would require removing the whole body and making custom shims. it would take 'weeks' is what he says.

what's my next step??
Towns03
AG
Aero95 said:

Was it always that way, or did something change?

If it were me, I'd pay a little to go to a frame/alignment rack and make a lot of measurements and see if the structure is straight. I wouldn't trust the dealer to inspect anything and tell you the truth. If you can come back with real data, then you can force the issue.
that's a good idea. What shop would do that, though? There's not much upside for them.

I can't say it's been like that the whole time. I first noticed it at around 10K miles.
sts7049
AG
if that dealer doesn't want to fix it right, find another one. and keep on the service manager to make it right. you may have want to also open a corporate case with GM if they keep balking.
Silvy
AG
The aftermarket option others tend to gravitate towards for fixing this is a different length shackle on port side. This isn't the 1st time GM vessels had a list to port side.
Aero95
AG
I don't have one in mind (I live in KS) but surely someone here will have a suggestion. I would expect a frame shop could do it for cash...maybe an hour of labor? Well worth it IMO.
meggy09
AG
Driver side, passenger side.
Towns03
AG
meggy09 said:

driver side. both front and rear
Towns03
AG
So this is a common issue? Mac Haik acts like they've never seen this before and don't know what to do.
AgEng06
AG
Towns03 said:

meggy09 said:

driver side. both front and rear
I think he's telling you to use the term "driver side" rather than port.
Towns03
AG
one day someone's going to write in from Bermuda and really confuse everyone.
Silvy
AG
A half inch natural list is not uncommon, I've not heard of 1.5" though.

I for one welcome the nautical nomenclature, truck could be RHD as far as we know
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
How does the body sag on a 1 year old truck?

Wow. SOunds like you may have body mount issues.

BTW, still see your old truck running around here....
Towns03
AG
haha - I'm glad it's still running! that guy got a great deal, not counting all the free tolls and red light camera tickets.

Should I take it to another dealer and see if they are more helpful or do I push Mac Haik to fix it a different way?
Mattressburn
AG
As far as the site goes

I use this one often

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/
MrJonMan
AG
Mak Haik lol
Lone Star Pest Control Service, Inc. Call for special Pricing!
Salt of the water
AG
You and the gas are on that side. Does tank level impact the lean any?

Alternative option to dealer repairs - get a bunch of chrome from vatozone and keep on leanin'
Rexter
https://www.silveradosierra.com
Towns03
AG
sts7049 said:

if that dealer doesn't want to fix it right, find another one. and keep on the service manager to make it right. you may have want to also open a corporate case with GM if they keep balking.
OK, Mac Haik is officially not going to help anymore. The service manager says GM suggested this repair and they're not going to appeal for me.

How does a person open a corporate case? I remember someone on here doing it, but I can't find the thread.

Towns03
AG
For the next guy down this road, call this number and get a case number:
1800-222-1020

I'll post my progress.
BigPuma
AG
MrJonMan said:

Mak Haik lol
My guess was West Point
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Towns03 said:

1800-222-1020

I'll post my progress.
Sadly its just a call center that takes notes and opens a case and will email everything back to the dealer's service dept and then they'll call you back and ask you to come back in. LOL. But, its documented with GM as an official complaint, so maybe you'll get some satisfaction, or a FSE will come out and take a look and make the determination if its acceptable or not.
TexasRebel
AG
+1 on the body mount issues.

Did they just leave out some of the bushings?
Those can be replaced from underneath. The cab doesn't have to come off.
Towns03
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Towns03 said:

1800-222-1020

I'll post my progress.
Sadly its just a call center that takes notes and opens a case and will email everything back to the dealer's service dept and then they'll call you back and ask you to come back in. LOL. But, its documented with GM as an official complaint, so maybe you'll get some satisfaction, or a FSE will come out and take a look and make the determination if its acceptable or not.
Do you think it would help to notify my insurance co? maybe they'll go to bat for me? that's was my random thought while stuck in traffic today.
lb3
AG
TexasRebel
AG
I think volume side & tune side is now universal.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.