Powerstroke or 6.2L F250?

8,287 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SCHTICK00
Ag97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
May be buying a new truck this next month. Test drove both and liked both. I may give the diesel the slight edge overall in my short test drives but not by much.

Diesel got much better gas mileage.

Both seemed to have plenty of power. Gas will have cheaper maintenance and no DPF filter to deal with somewhere down the line.

About an $8 grand difference in price

I get a company gas card so mileage and gas price really doesn't matter to me.

I pull a camper and my boat a few times a year but not very far.

I'm leaning gas but wanted to see if anybody else picked gas over diesel and how it worked out for them?

Is the 6.2 a solid platform?

MyTexasCarGuy
AG
6.2L is solid, so if you're not paying for fuel, and as little as you tow, it's hard to go wrong with gas. If you plan on driving it a long while, that would definitely be my reco. However, if resale value is a consideration, the diesel will always pull top dollar, especially on trade. You may save $8k now, but you'll take a bigger hit later. Whether you make it up through maintenace, DEF savings is toss up IMO.
#gigem
Cadet05
AG
I have a 2014 f250 with the 6.2 and it has performed flawlessly for 38k miles. Used to pull 16' lowboy with Ranger, and 22' pontoon. I came from 2 previous Diesel trucks, had tons of issues with the emissions systems. Will not go back to diesel.
Silvy
AG
Hold out for the 7.3 brah
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
silverado_lover said:

Hold out for the 7.3 brah
This.

The 6.2L will become peasant engine for 2020.

6.7L PSD and 7.3L gas will get the 10 speed auto as well.
CATAGBQ04
AG
Imma peasant
AgEng06
AG
CATAGBQ04 said:

Imma peasant
Nah, not until 2020.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
AgEng06 said:

CATAGBQ04 said:

Imma peasant
Nah, not until 2020.
BrazosDog02
AG
Be sure to put a 3" lift on the new rig, bro.
PFG
AG
Another happy 6.2 owner here. Ordered with the 4.3 gears and really enjoy the truck.

About 50k miles on a 2017 4x4 lariat. Just getting broken in.
Bob_Ag
AG
How long will Ford keep two gas platforms around? I guess Ram does it with the 5.7 and 6.4, but I wonder if the 6.2 gets the axe at some point. I've only ever heard good things about it.
Ag97
AG
I debated on holding onto my 15 F-150, but at 215,000 I don't know if I want to push it too much further. It needs some minor repairs but I don't know if I want to possibly put a few hundred to couple thousand dollars in it over the next year. With that type of mileage on it, I won't get any money back on trade or resale value doing those repairs/maintenance. Trade in value is going to be bad enough as it is.

I've been intrigued by the 7.3L, but think I learned my lesson on being a guinea pig for first year motors and transmissions when I bought my 2011 EcoBoost when it came out. Maybe I'll get the 6.2 L this year, drive it for 2 or 3 years and step up to the 7.3L when I know they have all the kinks worked out.
Gibbs Slap
AG
Go with the 6.2.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Bob_Ag said:

How long will Ford keep two gas platforms around? I guess Ram does it with the 5.7 and 6.4, but I wonder if the 6.2 gets the axe at some point. I've only ever heard good things about it.

Fleets like simplicity. I'm guessing it stays around another two years. Hell ford still offers a 3V v10 in cutaway chassis for airport shuttle/limo bus use.
AG
Get the diesel, its more expensive up front but will also hold that. The performance of the diesel is going to be way better also, not saying the gasser is dog but it just isn't as fast or powerful, and you may not care about that. DEF is cheap, shouldn't be considered a factor.
PFG
AG
Ford will still offer the 6.2 when they bring out the 7.3. I would agree about guinea pig - it's nice to wait and see.

6.2 is proven, and Ford did a nice thing in 2017 by giving it its own trans rather than sharing the 6.7s trans. Made for much lighter, smoother, peppy gear changes. Add the 4.3 rear end and it's got lots of pep. Not 6.7 pep, but I didn't need what the PStroke brings to the table. Lots of love for the new 6.2s.

I get 13 in town, 15 on the highway.

My buddies with 6.7s get 14 in town, 17 on the highway. To me, MPG isn't different enough to justify the $9K. If you pull heavy on the reg, yes. If you DGAF and just like the power, yes.
BurnetAggie99
Diesel guy here but Ford about to release a new gas engine for the Super Duty.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tfltruck.com/2018/09/rumor-confirmed-a-new-7-3l-gas-v8-is-coming-to-the-ford-super-duty/amp/
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
The torqshift G is a 6R100. Like a beefed up 6R80. It's a stopgap until they put a heavy duty 10 speed in for 2020 which the 6.2L won't get.
polander ag81
Definitely not an engine expert, but often wondered why Ford doesn't boost the 5.0 for the HD line.
CovertChad
The 6.2 is fine if you are not pulling much. ESPECIALLY if you are not paying for gas. It will get 11 to 14 miles per gallon. Ford upped the horsepower and torque a little in the last couple of years so it's not as sluggish as it used to be. I sell Ford's every day. I have sold five 6.2's in 7 years but the dealership I work at is in the middle of farming country. A couple of the 6.2's I sold were to friends who wanted the look of the Super Duty but had no use for the scorpion and didn't want to pay the 9k dollars extra for the diesel either. They upgraded the exhaust and did cold air intakes on them and it "woke them up" a little more.

All that being said I will say this. The 6.2 takes a MAJOR dump as far as trade in value goes. So, if this is a truck that you are going to buy and PAY OFF then the 6.2 is fine but unless you are putting 8 to 10k down you won't have equity in this truck until the day you pay it off.
If you trade trucks every 2 to 3 years like most people do then just pay the 9k up front and buy the diesel. You will pay for it up front OR when you trade it in. Either way you WILL pay. Call me if you have any more questions man. 5126334819
Sponsor Message: Nobody beats a Covert deal. Not now, not ever!
www.coverthutto.com
Ag97
AG
OK, so let's say I trade in the F250 in 4 to 5 years, completely paid off. I'll be spending in the mid 40's for the gasser and mid 50's for the diesel. What is a current realistic trade in value for a 80K to 100K mile gas and diesel F-250 XLT? Is there really a $9K difference in what a gasser brings on trade vs. a diesel from their original cost?
BurnetAggie99
Yea the Powerstroke hold their value a lot better plus the demand is there.
PFG
AG
Quote:

A couple of the 6.2's I sold were to friends

They upgraded the exhaust and did cold air intakes on them and it "woke them up" a little more.

Your friends like wasting money? Or are these high school kids?

Quote:

So, if this is a truck that you are going to buy and PAY OFF then the 6.2 is fine but unless you are putting 8 to 10k down you won't have equity in this truck until the day you pay it off.

False.

I own a 2017 F250 Lariat 6.2. I financed 100% of the truck, 60 months. At 34,000 miles my sunroof took a dump. Ford gave me the run around. While waiting for the final verdict from Ford, I went to two chevy dealers to work deals for a new 2500. In both deals I had equity in the truck.

OP - Here are some more real numbers for you. My FILaw just bought a new 2019 F250. His needs have changed (retired, hauls heavy equipment around the ranch now) so he bought a diesel. He traded in his 2016 F250 XLT with the 6.2. That truck had 82,000 and change. The dealership gave him $24K.

Truth is the 6.2 value doesn't drop out of the damn sky like some chicken littles would make you believe. The diesel starts more expensive, and thus has a higher resale/trade in. Shocking. I've never understood the whole "but the diesel holds its value better" argument. They both hold value in relation to their purchase price.

All of this to say: If you have the money and just want one - then by all means get the 6.7. It's a high performance vehicle. Just know the cost associated up front, and the higher cost of maintenance required if there are problems. I chose the 6.2 for dependability and it matched what I needed from an HD truck. And I DGAF about resale bc I don't trade in every 2 years.
Silvy
AG
LiveOak said:

Quote:

They upgraded the exhaust and did cold air intakes on them and it "woke them up" a little more.

Your friends like wasting money? Or are these high school kids?

Quote:

It's a high performance vehicle.

Sit down, old man
aggieforester05
AG
Yeah, I drove a 6.7L once and it's pretty far from "High Performance". Maybe with a delete and aggressive tune, but in stock trim acceleration is nothing to write home about. That's not what they're designed for though, towing torque they have plenty of. I still want one.
CenterHillAg
AG
In 2014 I ordered a company truck, F250 4x4 6.2, 4 door black long bed. I picked it up at the dealer the day it was delivered, and the salesmen said 4 guys had already stopped in trying to buy it. He thought the demand was there, but management was uneasy about ordering them for the lot. I see quite a few on the road now, they've definitely grown in popularity.

That was my favorite out of 5 company trucks, 2 of those being 6.7's. Im driving an F150 5.0 now, great truck but I regret not getting another gas F250. I'll look at the 7.3 once they've been out a couple years.
PFG
AG
All true. My comment on performance was in relation to the size and weight of the vehicle. For what they are (large, tall, heavy), they can boogie.

And what they can do with 10,000 pounds on the bumper - I'd call that high performance.
BigPuma
AG
I'll just say go ahead and add a full replacement ranch hand bumper. It has surprised the **** out of me being way more durable than I could have ever imagined.
CovertChad
What would I know....I just do this every day...
Sponsor Message: Nobody beats a Covert deal. Not now, not ever!
www.coverthutto.com
PFG
AG
And that makes it even more concerning.
CATAGBQ04
AG
When I traded my '16 6.2 I came out ahead...right now there is a demand for diesel AND gas 3/4 ton trucks, might not be that way forever though.
PFG
AG
Yessir. But shhhh. Don't tell CovetChad. After all, he only does this every day...
sts7049
AG
chad's just basing that opinion on the dealer's usual practice of lowballing trade-ins
rock08
AG
Which one did you go with? And did you do the rear bumper too?
BigPuma
AG
rock08 said:

Which one did you go with? And did you do the rear bumper too?
Ranch Hand legend.

Just the front. Some other guy's insurance paid for it when he decided to squeeze between me and a bus while said bus was stopping. I tagged him while he was in two lanes, and since the regular bumper plus the brackets are damn near the cost of the RH, I opted to go RH.

Until something happens to the rear bumper, Ill probably just roll with the stock for now.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.