Re occurring tundra issue

1,534 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CEPhD
Rollie2002
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My 2013 Tundra has been in to have the door lock actuators replaced several times during/under warranty. Both front doors have gone out again but I'm passed my mileage warranty now. I called the dealer and they said nothing they could do, since it's passed the mileage. My rebuttal was that it's a re occurring issue. That doesnt matter. He said if I would have paid for the repairs when previously done, then I'd have a lifetime warranty as long as I own the truck. But since covered under warranty the other time I don't. He offered to pay for one and me the other, $691 for one door actuator and labor. Seems to me that if it's the same issue, they should cover it. Or am I being rediculous in that train of thought. And yes I realize it's a 6 year old truck and things wear out, but not the same things multiple times.
aggieforester05
AG
I haven't replaced a door actuator on a Tundra before, but I have on a silverado. Unless there's something ridiculously more difficult in the Tundra than the silverado was, then that price is ridiculous. See what they cost on rock auto and look up a youtube video on how to replace them.

Dealership prices are always ridiculous. My wife bent a wheel on her Dodge Charger recently. The dealership want $580 for one wheel, just to give you an example of how ridiculous their pricing is.
Ag for Life
AG
I've replaced them before myself and it's pretty easy. Mine is a 2007 but the 2013s should be the same. I just did the rear driver's side door about 2 weeks ago and the part was around $90 on Amazon. My front driver's door is out again too and I've got that replacement sitting in the garage. Think it was like $125 on rockauto. Aisin is the factory brand.

You will for sure break some of the door panel clips so have a handful of those ready on hand to replace the broken ones when you reinstall it.

It's a well known defect that the actuator motors are underpowered so they fail. You can take out the actuator, swap the little motor, then reinstall the actuator, but that's a pain in the butt. I'm actually planning on doing that to my failed actuators so I can use them again once my new ones fail. I got like 10 of the chinese motors off of Amazon for 8 bucks a couple of years ago.

Door actuators and water pumps have been my only complaints so far though and I'm just about to roll over to 200K so I guess that's pretty good.
aggieforester05
AG
Wait for the starter, that's a ton of fun!
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Do you hit lock twice all the time?
Ag for Life
AG
aggieforester05 said:

Wait for the starter, that's a ton of fun!

After reading about your trials and tribulations I think I'll just sell it when the starter gives up the ghost.
drumboy
AG
I've done my door actuators twice and it was easy with no broken door mounts knock on wood. Getting a credit for a lifetime warranty part from amazon was a different story so get it from RockAuto.

Well first time I was rushing and drinking beer and forgot to hook up the rod going to the key lock.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
Pahdz
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Do you hit lock twice all the time?
if I hit it twice they probably would have lasted a LOT longer on mine. i'm a chronic "did I lock it" guy lol

I did the same thing to my 2009 Silverado
AggieChemist
AG
"recurring"
Alpine
AG
Its actually just the little motor that needs to be replaced and not the whole actuator. The motor is less than $10. You do have to carefully open the actuator though. The driver's door was the only difficult one due to the lock.
TexAg2001
AG
I also have a '13 Tundra with about 95,000 miles that just started having this issue a few months ago. Front passenger works probably 15% of the time and now the rear passenger is starting to act up. I'm considering replacing just the actuators and see if that does it. I don't mind tinkering with the parts if it saves some money, but I don't want to have to remove the door panels again in a couple of months if they fail again.

I'm sure it at least partially depends on the quality of my work, but is replacing just the actuators just as reliable as replacing the entire part?
Picard
AG
OP, have the dealer do 50% off each. Then they're both covered for life

CEPhD
AG
Alpine said:

Its actually just the little motor that needs to be replaced and not the whole actuator. The motor is less than $10. You do have to carefully open the actuator though. The driver's door was the only difficult one due to the lock.

LS Swap?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.