Aftermarket fog lights

1,323 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Naveronski
htownag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I'm sure this has been talked about but what are the rules on the after market fog lights?

I just want to put some square rigid fog lights on my ranch hand legend bumper on the fog light mounts that are built in. I couldn't find anything specifically stating they were illegal. They just needed to be aimed properly
Southpaw 07
AG
Rigid makes a variety of fog/off road pods. To be street legal, I think you need the SAE accepted model. Those should have a cutoff that won't blind oncoming traffic when aimed properly.
htownag10
AG
That's what I thought but I can't find anything that stated that in the Texas code. Trying to make sure I understand it correctly. It mentions nothing about DOT Zoe SAE that I've found
Rexter
Two of these will light up next week

Rexter
Texas Transportation Code - TRANSP 547.328. Fog Lamps Permitted

(a) A motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two fog lamps.

(b) A fog lamp shall be:

(1) mounted on the front of the vehicle at a height from 12 to 30 inches; and

(2) aimed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam from a lamp mounted to the left of center on a vehicle projects a beam of light at a distance of 25 feet that is higher than four inches below the level of the center of the lamp.

(c) Lighted fog lamps may be used with lower headlamp beams as specified by Section 547.333 .

BrazosDog02
AG
Buy the brightest **** you can find and mount them how you want. If you get high beamed, adjust them a little. Repeat as needed. Then get a 36" led bar for the top of that *****.
txagfisher
AG
Southpaw 07 said:

Rigid makes a variety of fog/off road pods. To be street legal, I think you need the SAE accepted model. Those should have a cutoff that won't blind oncoming traffic when aimed properly.
I have a set of these on my Jeep. They are amazing.
Macarthur
I've never thought fog lights were much of a benefit.
Naveronski
AG
Southpaw 07 said:

Yes, this.
FCBlitz
Question. That law states no more than two fog lights? We have all seen trucks with more than two and ones on the roof. Does the illegality of having more than two and on the roof come into play when the lights are energized on a public highway at night? I can't imagine them being illegal just because they are mounted. I never have heard of folks removing fog lights to pass inspection.

How does that law affect the average joe?
Rexter
I had a conversation with a leo last fall about that. His opinion was that if the lights are covered, they pass. Uncovered OR in use COULD get a citation, but that would be a sticker citation for buttheads. Once again, they was his opinion.
Naveronski
AG
Sample size of one.

I have a lot of aux lighting on my truck that is not street legal/off-road use only. I have not had any issues getting my truck inspected.

I also don't run them on the road, and haven't been pulled over for them. (Speeding, sure, but still no mention of my lights.)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.