Dealership Misdiagnosis

1,280 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by coolerguy12
Motot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FIL has an optima that the family uses as a back up car. I do maintenance on it occasionally. It had an error code and he took it in to Kia to have them look at it. It ran fine, but had CEL and was hard to start after refill.

Kia charged $140 to diag issue and told him that it was ALL 4 o2 sensors. Cost of repair there was $1500, parts were roughly $1200 of that. I told him I could do the sensors, and never got too much into the codes to check their diagnosis.

Replaced 3 of the 4, didn't take long. Upstream rear bank required me taking off intake to get at it. So i checked for resistance across the removed 3 sensors to make sure replacing the final o2 was necessary. All 3 good. Then realized I could get the plug off of the 4th, the rear bank o2 and test continuity on it. Also good.

Went in and looked at the diag bill that shows the codes. p2187 and p2189 (system too lean at idle bank 1/bank 2). First thing that comes up is searching these is a bad purge valve, and is very common to the kia/hyundais that use this motor. Looks like kia misdiagnosed.

I should have checked their work, but in a situation like this, seems not unreasonable to go in and ask for a refund on diag(provided purge valve is the fix). If we had had Round Rock Kia go ahead with the repair, then it would be a $1500 issue.

Go raise a stink? I usually just dig around on the internet instead of dealership/shops, but didn't have time. Sorry for the detail.
Jack Cheese
AG
I think investing in a cheap Bluetooth code scanner is your best bet. I've gotten a ton of use out of mine - $25 on Amazon - would have saved your whole trip to the dealer.
JAW3336
AG
I absolutely would ask for a refund.
coolerguy12
AG
Yes get a refund. Should be very easy to show them on their own paperwork where they messed up.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.