Bought a car with out of state title. Title was signed by person I got it from

1,955 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Sasappis
Jonnyjon254
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So I bought a car today, it has out of state title,
The person I bought it from signed the title but never registered it.
I have his original bill of sale from technical owner of the car,
And we filled out the form for me to register the car in my name...
how do I go about this since he never registered the car but signed and dated the title?
Could I just pay the fees that he was supposed to pay and it be that easy?
Jonnyjon254
Somebody help me out lol
Jonnyjon254
Or would I need to get a bonded title in this case?
Complete Idiot
"Title jumping" is when someone buys a car but never titles it in their name before selling to someone else - it is illegal. But usually they wouldn't be signing their name on the title as if it was theirs - this seller's name is NOT typed on the title but he DID sign it with his OWN name?

It could be a big hassle and you might have to find the owner that is printed on the title. This wasn't a car the seller had from a deceased relative or anything, right?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Lets say the title belongs to Bob.

You bought the car from David, whos signed the title with his name.

And now, you Jonny, have bought the car.

There are a few ways to handle this.

1. Go back to David, and have David title the car in his name. You can go with him to the Tax office, have him transfer it and then find a TxDot office and have a duplicate title issued ASAP, and then you fill out a VTR130U and you can move on with getting it into your name.

Buuuuuut...before this, (if you want to register the vehicle), David is going to have to get a state inspection done first.

2. Or, you can find a local title service to see if they can help you in this scenario. There could be a way to get a bonded title or some other way to get the paperwork, but will cost you time and money.

3. You can contact the ORIGINAL owner, Bob, and ask if Bob will go to his local DOT/Tax office and get a certified copy of the title. This probably won't happen, as Bob will be super annoyed at this. And you may have to be super nice or maybe offer him some money for his time.
aggiepaintrain
AG
take what you have to the tax office don't tell them about buying from someone other than the person listed on the title, see if the fees are more than you care to pay, it not pay them and roll on. Was it dated recently ?
Or like 2014?

get it inspected and take proof of insurance with you as well
FJB
drumboy
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Lets say the title belongs to Bob.

You bought the car from David, whos signed the title with his name.

And now, you Jonny, have bought the car.

There are a few ways to handle this.

1. Go back to David, and have David title the car in his name. You can go with him to the Tax office, have him transfer it and then find a TxDot office and have a duplicate title issued ASAP, and then you fill out a VTR130U and you can move on with getting it into your name.

Buuuuuut...before this, (if you want to register the vehicle), David is going to have to get a state inspection done first.

2. Or, you can find a local title service to see if they can help you in this scenario. There could be a way to get a bonded title or some other way to get the paperwork, but will cost you time and money.

3. You can contact the ORIGINAL owner, Bob, and ask if Bob will go to his local DOT/Tax office and get a certified copy of the title. This probably won't happen, as Bob will be super annoyed at this. And you may have to be super nice or maybe offer him some money for his time.

How good are you at signing Bob's name? Forget about David, he screwed you over.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
The Fife
You guys have to get cars inspected before you can transfer the title now? What if it's an old or abandoned POS you're buying to work on?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
The Fife said:

You guys have to get cars inspected before you can transfer the title now? What if it's an old or abandoned POS you're buying to work on?
Theres an option for title only.
drumboy
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

The Fife said:

Theres an option for title only.
Yep, but as I learned when I forgot to get the motorcycle I never ride inspected, you have to stand in line again to get it registered after it's inspected and can't do it online.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
Rexter
If Bob isn't helpful, explain to him that he has legal issues if the car is wrecked, and it's in his best interest to get you a clean title.
JSKolache
AG
Question #1 - whose name is on the title right now?
Question #2 - who did you buy it from?
Corps_Ag12
AG
Rexter said:

If Bob isn't helpful, explain to him that he has legal issues if the car is wrecked, and it's in his best interest to get you a clean title.

Extortion, I like it
Bregxit
AG
Rexter said:

Bob: Thanks for finding my stolen car! You're a bloody good chap! Where is my car so I can have the police recover it for me?
Ag for Life
AG
Jonnyjon254 said:

So I bought a car today, it has out of state title,
The person I bought it from signed the title but never registered it.
I have his original bill of sale from technical owner of the car,
And we filled out the form for me to register the car in my name...
how do I go about this since he never registered the car but signed and dated the title?
Could I just pay the fees that he was supposed to pay and it be that easy?

Joined today just for this topic? Surely texags auto board is not that high on the Google search list
Mookie
Mookie
AG
Just drive it thru a few toll booths if you want to find out who really owns (pays taxes) on the car.
Post removed:
by user
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.