Ford APIM

4,436 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by n_dagley
Burdizzo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Accessory Protocol Integration Module

My SYNC automatically updated last fall and ever since then the voice recognition and several other features stopped working. Finally got it to the dealer Tuesday for them to tell me the APIM needs replacing. Post mortem on my part (aka Google and Texags search) finds the APIM failure is pretty common with Fords. I guess I should have researched. Even 1ags eschews this feature.

Why are these things such crap? Are they made by Lucas Electric?
n_dagley
AG
My '16 f150 apim has been on the fritz lately as well. Really slow touchscreen response time, steering wheel buttons intermittently not working, and Bluetooth disconnecting repeatedly. Are there any other options than the dealership here?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
What year is your truck?

Big screen or 4.2"
Burdizzo
AG
2016 Big Screen
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Burdizzo said:

2016 Big Screen
Should be able to find plenty of those used on ebay/F150 forums.

Then you can find DanMc85 to write you a custom APIM file for like 150 bucks or so, and I can help you flash it, and you're good.
Burdizzo
AG
Still under warranty, but thanks for the tip. Just waiting on parts at the dealer.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
n_dagley said:

My '16 f150 apim has been on the fritz lately as well. Really slow touchscreen response time, steering wheel buttons intermittently not working, and Bluetooth disconnecting repeatedly. Are there any other options than the dealership here?
Syncmyride.com and see if theres an update available.

Also often times a hard reset will fix these issues.
n_dagley
AG
Is the hard reset the hold down power and next track for 6 seconds method?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
n_dagley said:

Is the hard reset the hold down power and next track for 6 seconds method?
https://owner.ford.com/support/how-tos/sync/sync/setup/how-to-do-a-sync-master-reset.html#first-set
IowaAg07
AG
Also had an issue with my wife's Edge with MFT, I think it was the same thing but there are multiple, similarly-acronymed parts in there so I would have to dig up the paperwork. Waiting on the class action on that and the stupid door-open sensors to get my money back
FiTxAg04
AG
I'm on my 3rd APIM in my '16 F150. 1 replaced under warranty, 1 out of pocket. Everything works fine for the moment, except that I lost Sirius radio channel icons for some reason, which is annoying but no big deal.
n_dagley
AG
What was the out of pocket cost if you don't mind me asking?
IowaAg07
AG
I think mine was $600 for parts and labor. I looked briefly to see if it was something I wanted to take on myself and it didn't look overly hard, but it would be time consuming. I think the manual calls for 2 hours of labor, not sure how long it actually took them.
GarlandAg2012
AG
I am getting SD card navigation faults and sometimes my steering wheel buttons do the wrong thing. Are these symptoms of APIM issues? I have a '15 with MFT on the big screen. I've been thinking of upgrading to a sync 3 APIM anyway.
n_dagley
AG
Well I've done a master reset and updated my Sync 3 to v3.0 and still having issues. Touchscreen lags, steering wheel button lags, screen stays on reverse camera for several seconds after shifting from reverse, and bluetooth repeatedly disconnecting and connecting. From Ford forum searches, these APIM modules are on backorder which sucks. I've made an appointment at my local dealer to check it out, and they say it will take four days to diagnose. Oh and they can't take it in until 3/4!
Burdizzo
AG
n_dagley said:

Well I've done a master reset and updated my Sync 3 to v3.0 and still having issues. Touchscreen lags, steering wheel button lags, screen stays on reverse camera for several seconds after shifting from reverse, and bluetooth repeatedly disconnecting and connecting. From Ford forum searches, these APIM modules are on backorder which sucks. I've made an appointment at my local dealer to check it out, and they say it will take four days to diagnose. Oh and they can't take it in until 3/4!

Mine was only there for two days for them to diagnose. At the same time they changed the oil, rotated the tires, and addressed three recall issues. When I dropped it off and told them about the voice recognition issue they had the look on their faces like I was not the first one to come in with this problem.

Wondering if this becomes another class action suit
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
n_dagley said:

When you did the reset, did you delete all the phones off the vehicle and all the paired devices off your phone?
n_dagley
AG
I did delete sync from my phone but not all other devices. I wasn't aware of that step. Is it necessary?
IowaAg07
AG
It took multiple trips over multiple days to diagnose, it was very frustrating because it was intermittent - and always seemed to happen when I was driving and never when their techs were driving. I finally had to take video of the issue, they were ready to be done trying to diagnose it until I showed them. Mine also took a few weeks on backorder.
TexasRebel
AG
I had to replace the APIM in my '16 Mustang because the camera would not work in freezing temperatures.
n_dagley
AG
***update***
Bad APIM. Part is on backorder so I don't know when it'll be in. Cost for parts and labor at stealership is a hair over a grand.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.