To boost or not to boost

1,885 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Drip99
dbtexasag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
2016 Tundra out of Warranty.

I'm itching for more power with this thing when towing our trailer.

Seems like the only option for supercharging is Magnussen. Anybody have any thoughts? Worth it?
aggieforester05
AG
I had one and I highly recommend it. The Tundra is a torque monster with the blower.
saltydog13
AG
Long tube headers also add 40hp and 50 torque if I remember right
aggieforester05
AG
PITA to install on a tundra
RCR06
AG
When adding more power the correct answer is always yes
drumboy
AG
RCR06 said:

When adding more power the correct answer is always yes
Surprised some dork hasn't suggested a minivan yet.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
FC12
You will eventually blow up your transmission, especially after boosting and pulling trailers. The Tundra's transmission isn't the strongest. Ask me, I know I toasted mine without boost.
aggieforester05
AG
The one I had, did get a transmission at 79K miles and was boosted almost the entire time from what I understand. I bought it with 83K miles and then drove it like I stole it for the next 52K miles with a bullydog tune and the only problems I had were a bad starter and a bad airbag clock spring. I had LT headers and high flow cats the last 10K - 15k miles I owned it.
91AggieLawyer
AG
If you need more power for towing, why not just trade it for a diesel in a similar year range for roughly the premium of what the SC would cost?
dbtexasag05
I am at that crossroads...

I love the tundra but I'm leaning hard at just trading it in for the diesel.
aggieforester05
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

If you need more power for towing, why not just trade it for a diesel in a similar year range for roughly the premium of what the SC would cost?
I will say that it's typically not recommended to haul heavy loads for long distances with supercharged trucks, because the IATs will climb which will cause detonation and power loss. The tundra supercharger system was designed with increased towing capability in mind though. I towed quiet a bit with mine, but only a handful of times with really heavy loads. I pulled a 9K# trailer/skid steer combo all over the place no problem. Once I pulled a 12K# combo a short distance, but did experience some brake fade. With the heavy loads the towing acceleration was similar to the F250 V10 that I was doing most of my heavy towing with at that time.

I will say there have been some guys blow their engines. Almost all of these guys swapped pulleys and ran either a stock tune or a canned tune. I wouldn't swap a pulley without getting a custom tune and likely bigger injectors depending on the tuner's recs. At the time I sold mine there was only one guy who could custom tune them in the world and he was located in Dallas.
dbtexasag05
It's in my cart...

Just need to sleep on it.
Drip99
AG
What size trailer are you towing? The tundra issue isn't power, it's payload. I would go 1 ton diesel if the trailer is big.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.